prostho question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raj26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) A patient recently had an endodontically treated tooth restored with a cast post and core and crown. the patient complains of symptoms on biting force but tooth mobility is withing normal range. radiograph appears normal. the most probable reason for this is-

a) Loose crown resulting in gingival irritation
b) premature centric contact
c) vertical root fracture
d) Psychosomatic

Members don't see this ad.

1) A patient recently had an endodontically treated tooth restored with a cast post and core and crown. the patient complains of symptoms on biting force but tooth mobility is withing normal range. radiograph appears normal. the most probable reason for this is-

d) Psychosomatic

depends on the amount of time that has elapsed from when the restoration was placed. if it is w/in a a few weeks...then the answer it B. If more time has elapsed than that then the answer is C.

With a vertical root fracture you would have an isolated probing depth (deep) around the fracture area...also you would see a J shaped radiolucency on the radiograph.

Members don't see this ad :)

d) Psychosomatic

C, biting force always bec PDL problem

pretty common complain after post n core.
the answer is C. the fracture will definitely be evident in the radiograph if taken from a different angle.

depends on the amount of time that has elapsed from when the restoration was placed. if it is w/in a a few weeks...then the answer it B. If more time has elapsed than that then the answer is C.

With a vertical root fracture you would have an isolated probing depth (deep) around the fracture area...also you would see a J shaped radiolucency on the radiograph.
I like the way you explained it. but I would go with C. premature high occlusion, the patient will come soon. the main reason for pain after endo treated tooth w/ post and core is VRF :)

I like the way you explained it. but I would go with C. premature high occlusion, the patient will come soon. the main reason for pain after endo treated tooth w/ post and core is VRF :)

thanks! i like ur explanation better :)
i hate how their questions r so vague! argh!

The answer to this should be B depending on what their definition of "recently" is. For a VRF to hurt upon biting something has to be inflamed. It won't be the pulp because there is no pulp. If the radiograph is normal (i.e. no "j" shaped lesion ) then it is doubtful that there is enough of an abscess present to make the PDL and really the surrounding bone sore to percussion. Occlusal problems are always what becomes symptomatic first, not inflammation from VRF if there is no radiographical evidence of an abscess.