Prosthodontics 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gprostho123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everybody that is applying to pros this year! Which schools are you guys applying to? Deadlines are approaching, has anyone received any interview invitations?
 
Hello and good luck to you too and to everyone.
I got invitation from UIC. I will be there on August 14.
Whats about you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you gprostho123 for creating this thread. I highly appreciate it.
I applied UNC, UConn, UIC, Baylor College, University of Texas at Houston, .

How is your residency ? how is the program? Any rec for any school?
 
Last edited:
Thank you, Mackchops. How is UTHSCSA program? whats your feedback?

I've been happy here. Great reputation, great co-residents, and more patients than we know what to do with. Solid classic pros program. Strong in the fundamentals, we dabble in esthetics, surgery, and CAD/CAM - but it's very much a resident-run program so you can choose the direction you want to take your experience.

In your post above you didn't mention applying to the SA program. Is there a reason why? You're applying to Houston and Baylor. Just curious why you elected to leave us off the list.
 
I've been happy here. Great reputation, great co-residents, and more patients than we know what to do with. Solid classic pros program. Strong in the fundamentals, we dabble in esthetics, surgery, and CAD/CAM - but it's very much a resident-run program so you can choose the direction you want to take your experience.

In your post above you didn't mention applying to the SA program. Is there a reason why? You're applying to Houston and Baylor. Just curious why you elected to leave us off the list.

Thank you for your feedback. good to know about SA program.

It seems that SA has a good program but whats about placing implant and lab work?
Thank you my friend so much for your time.
 
Last edited:
Good luck to everybody that is applying to pros this year! Which schools are you guys applying to? Deadlines are approaching, has anyone received any interview invitations?
Hope your program is going well gprostho123! Looking forward to seeing you in Orlando this year 🙂
 
Thank you for your feedback. good to know about SA program.
Well, I came to know about SA program recently. I applied mainly to the schools that participate in PASS application.

It seems that SA has a good program but whats about placing implant and lab work?
Also, if you dont mind, whats your feedback about Houston and Baylor program?
Thank you my friend so much for your time.

We don't place a lot of implants and we do a lot of lab work. I've heard mixed reviews about the Houston program. Baylor is supposed to be pretty good.
 
I applied to UTHSCSA, Iowa, Minnesota, Alabama and Louisville. Initially I wanted to apply to a few more, but narrowed it down. Hoping to hear about interviews soon… I got my applications in a bit later than others but hoping anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to UTHSCSA, Iowa, Minnesota, Alabama and Louisville. Initially I wanted to apply to a few more, but narrowed it down. Hoping to hear about interviews soon… I got my applications in a bit later than others but hoping anyway.
Good luck and hope you hear from them soon🙂
 
It's going really really well! I absolutely love it. Started my 2nd year, and i have ZERO regrets about my decision to pursue prosthodontics.
(1) Like mackchops said earlier, it's a lot of lab work--but I knew that going into it.
(2) We get a good amount of surgical experience (not too much to take away from learning classic and contemporary prosthodontics).
(3) We get a good amount of experience w/ maxillofacial prosthodontics.
(3) We do a lot of digital dentistry--we have Cerec, Nobel, iTero, 3m, and just got a new Trios 3shape. We now have the ability to do digital waxups and print/mill using those waxes.
(4) All faculty are board certified and we get a lot of experience w/ board preparation (2 faculty are current board examiners--and our director is president of the ACP).
(5) Overall, the residents are great and it's a very "family" style program. Sounds really stupid, but that's prbly one of the most important things for me. I spend more time w/ my coresidents than I do w/ my own wife lol.

Not trying to brag or sound like I'm boasting. Hope I don't come off that way. Just trying to be helpful, and point out some of the things that were important for me when I was applying. Hope that helps 🙂 Good luck!
 
It's going really really well! I absolutely love it. Started my 2nd year, and i have ZERO regrets about my decision to pursue prosthodontics.
(1) Like mackchops said earlier, it's a lot of lab work--but I knew that going into it.
(2) We get a good amount of surgical experience (not too much to take away from learning classic and contemporary prosthodontics).
(3) We get a good amount of experience w/ maxillofacial prosthodontics.
(3) We do a lot of digital dentistry--we have Cerec, Nobel, iTero, 3m, and just got a new Trios 3shape. We now have the ability to do digital waxups and print/mill using those waxes.
(4) All faculty are board certified and we get a lot of experience w/ board preparation (2 faculty are current board examiners--and our director is president of the ACP).
(5) Overall, the residents are great and it's a very "family" style program. Sounds really stupid, but that's prbly one of the most important things for me. I spend more time w/ my coresidents than I do w/ my own wife lol.

Not trying to brag or sound like I'm boasting. Hope I don't come off that way. Just trying to be helpful, and point out some of the things that were important for me when I was applying. Hope that helps 🙂 Good luck!

This is so cool!. I am also prosth resident (don't want to mention school name). They said our programs are the largest prosth program in USA. Here are the summary
1. Tons of lab work. We have to saw/ditch the dies on every case we send for Fixed restoration fabrication. This is super time consuming especially for single crown case (which we have a tons as well). And it take 1-2 months to get the case back from lab even if it is single crown. (PFM crown take 2 months to fabricate; 1 month for metal coping and 1 month for porcelain...)
2. No surgical experience. They set implant surgery as some requirement but I only see a few residents did it once or twice. The perio residents here are also have problems getting enough implant cases, and now the school is opening new implant fellowship program.....
3. No maxillofacial prosthodontics. We have average 1 case (Obturator) per year for whole program and that lucky resident will be asked to document and present the case to us.
4. We have plenty of Cerec machines in the department but nobody really use it.
5. We have only 1 board certified faculty... Most of the residents now are struggling to find board cases.
6. Good thing is that all the faculty are very nice. We do have some conflicts between residents sometime though. (once it even involved police call to stop the fight)
7. Some of my classmate finished their 2nd year with 50-60 crowns experience. There is certain minimum requirement to beat but the patient pool is not really good enough to reach that requirement. We saw a lot of patient for consultation but only 15-30% really do the treatment as most of them cannot afford the fee.
8. We do have very strong research program though.
 
Quick question someone may have the answer to: Does anyone know the salary as a resident in prosthodontics at StonyBrook? Thank you.

It is an exciting time for us all as applicants. All the best to those who have applied for prosth this year and the residents currently in programs.
 
(5) Overall, the residents are great and it's a very "family" style program. Sounds really stupid, but that's prbly one of the most important things for me. I spend more time w/ my coresidents than I do w/ my own wife lol.

Not stupid at all! Don't underestimate the importance of a strong class of coresidents. You spend more time with them and learn more from them than you do with anyone else (including faculty) so making sure everyone gets along at your interview is tremendously important.
 
It's going really really well! I absolutely love it. Started my 2nd year, and i have ZERO regrets about my decision to pursue prosthodontics.
(1) Like mackchops said earlier, it's a lot of lab work--but I knew that going into it.
(2) We get a good amount of surgical experience (not too much to take away from learning classic and contemporary prosthodontics).
(3) We get a good amount of experience w/ maxillofacial prosthodontics.
(3) We do a lot of digital dentistry--we have Cerec, Nobel, iTero, 3m, and just got a new Trios 3shape. We now have the ability to do digital waxups and print/mill using those waxes.
(4) All faculty are board certified and we get a lot of experience w/ board preparation (2 faculty are current board examiners--and our director is president of the ACP).
(5) Overall, the residents are great and it's a very "family" style program. Sounds really stupid, but that's prbly one of the most important things for me. I spend more time w/ my coresidents than I do w/ my own wife lol.

Not trying to brag or sound like I'm boasting. Hope I don't come off that way. Just trying to be helpful, and point out some of the things that were important for me when I was applying. Hope that helps 🙂 Good luck!
Thank you buddy for your feedback. Its to good to hear all the good stuff about your program, it seems like a heaven. Where are you? what school ?
 
Last edited:
This is so cool!. I am also prosth resident (don't want to mention school name). They said our programs are the largest prosth program in USA. Here are the summary
1. Tons of lab work. We have to saw/ditch the dies on every case we send for Fixed restoration fabrication. This is super time consuming especially for single crown case (which we have a tons as well). And it take 1-2 months to get the case back from lab even if it is single crown. (PFM crown take 2 months to fabricate; 1 month for metal coping and 1 month for porcelain...)
2. No surgical experience. They set implant surgery as some requirement but I only see a few residents did it once or twice. The perio residents here are also have problems getting enough implant cases, and now the school is opening new implant fellowship program.....
3. No maxillofacial prosthodontics. We have average 1 case (Obturator) per year for whole program and that lucky resident will be asked to document and present the case to us.
4. We have plenty of Cerec machines in the department but nobody really use it.
5. We have only 1 board certified faculty... Most of the residents now are struggling to find board cases.
6. Good thing is that all the faculty are very nice. We do have some conflicts between residents sometime though. (once it even involved police call to stop the fight)
7. Some of my classmate finished their 2nd year with 50-60 crowns experience. There is certain minimum requirement to beat but the patient pool is not really good enough to reach that requirement. We saw a lot of patient for consultation but only 15-30% really do the treatment as most of them cannot afford the fee.
8. We do have very strong research program though.
Sorry to hear that my friend, I hope things get better soon. Is there any advice or questions to ask when we are doing interviews? Your thoughts are highly appreciate it.
 
Quick question someone may have the answer to: Does anyone know the salary as a resident in prosthodontics at StonyBrook? Thank you.

It is an exciting time for us all as applicants. All the best to those who have applied for prosth this year and the residents currently in programs.
Hello Prosthodont,
How are you? I hope all is well.
Where did you apply? and interview call?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everyone with their interviews....
For the current residents, you guys are awesome, thank you so much for your time and ur feedback. I highly appreciate it. Is there any advice for the interview day?
 
Last edited:
Hello Big_G
How was your interview? I hope it was good. hopefully your hear your acceptance soon. Good luck
I don't honestly know, I had arrived from overseas the night before and was severely jet lagged. I think I did an ok wax up and I got on well (I think) with the residents. How about you, have you heard anything?
 
Quick question someone may have the answer to: Does anyone know the salary as a resident in prosthodontics at StonyBrook? Thank you.

It is an exciting time for us all as applicants. All the best to those who have applied for prosth this year and the residents currently in programs.
Hi prosthodonts,
Any advice for those who appearing for interviews? Any feedback will be much appreciated.
 
Thank you buddy for your feedback. Its to good to hear all the good stuff about your program, it seems like a heaven. Where are you? what school ?
Hi dmd12, sorry i forgot to mention where my program was even lol. Sorry for the delay, I don't mind at all sharing where I'm currently training or anything.

I'm at the University of Maryland. It's in downtown Baltimore, MD. Not a great area, but then again I don't live near the school and I don't really feel unsafe at all coming to and/or leaving from the school. I didn't do my undergrad here, I trained at MWU-AZ. So, it's a big change from sunny Glendale, AZ 🙂

Please feel free to post any questions or if I can be of any help to you all!

It's great that we have this type of forum. And thanks to all the current residents and @Mackchops for all your input. I know it really helped me when applying, and I hope we can all be of the same service for you guys!
 
Not stupid at all! Don't underestimate the importance of a strong class of coresidents. You spend more time with them and learn more from them than you do with anyone else (including faculty) so making sure everyone gets along at your interview is tremendously important.

You're absolutely right @Mackchops, your coresidents are a huge source of learning. The other day my coresidents and I were talking about how much (or little) we knew coming into the program, and how much we've grown through this together. It really is amazing how little you know before starting prosth (even if you think/thought u knew a lot already)! And like one of my attendings always says, "you can never unlearn what you learn in residency." It's definitely both a gift and a curse 🙂 But no regrets here! Seems to be about the same sentiment from other residents at other programs around the country, too.
 
Hi guys! I am a little late to the thread, but I applied to pros this summer too. I applied to Buffalo, UCONN, UNC, Florida, Baylor, UCLA, and UCSF.
I interviewed at UCONN and Minnesota earlier in August.
I go to Baylor Aug. 24, UCLA Aug. 26, UCSF Aug. 31, and UF Sept. 11.

Do you guys know anything about UCSF or UCLA?
 
Hi guys! I am a little late to the thread, but I applied to pros this summer too. I applied to Buffalo, UCONN, UNC, Florida, Baylor, UCLA, and UCSF.
I interviewed at UCONN and Minnesota earlier in August.
I go to Baylor Aug. 24, UCLA Aug. 26, UCSF Aug. 31, and UF Sept. 11.

Do you guys know anything about UCSF or UCLA?
Good luck treatyoself43 with coming interviews. wish you all the best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard nothing from Iowa. Didn't apply to OSU or UMich. I'm wondering about San Antonio - did anyone get an interview offer?
 
I didn't apply to San Antonio, but a friend of mine did and she interviewed a while ago there. Sorry that isn't too helpful, but I cannot recall the exact date!
I am doing the GPR at Iowa right now and I know they interviewed on 8/24/15. But maybe they have another round of interviews??? I am not sure because I did not apply to Iowa either. From what I have been told about Iowa though, you do not want to go there for pros. They do not have big cases, there are not enough implants to place. My roommate is in the oral surgery program at Iowa and the residents in that program only place 50-100 implants. I would not recommend Iowa, especially if you enjoy living in large cities, Iowa City is very small!!!!!