Prosthodontics 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Iwoa sent there rejection letter good luck next year guys. It look like its very compettitive this year.
I didnt hear anything from Umich
 
Iwoa sent there rejection letter good luck next year guys. It look like its very compettitive this year.
I didnt hear anything from Umich
I am sure you will have a chance somewhere else!!
Did you get an email or a letter? when did you get it?? thanks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that mhb3003 :/ hopefully you have other prospects still coming in!
 
Siva - I went to Marquette for dental school. A good place to stay is the Ambassador - it is just down the street from Marquette, so you can walk to the interview and they have an awesome happy hour in the bar there with good food too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Siva - I went to Marquette for dental school. A good place to stay is the Ambassador - it is just down the street from Marquette, so you can walk to the interview and they have an awesome happy hour in the bar there with good food too!
Thank you
 
Hello, I am into my second year of practicing as a gp, but have recently decided that I want to get into a pros program. Will it be too late to apply this year? Should I wait for next years cycle?
 
I hate to say it, but it looks like it might be too late to try for this cycle as most programs have already began reviewing their applications for interviews. Not that it's impossible but I think your chances might be pushing it for this cycle? I guess it might be worth a shot--the limiting factor is getting all your letters of rec, transcripts, and PASS stuff in, but if you can get it all in on time then why not? Good luck either way whatever you decide!
 
I hate to say it, but it looks like it might be too late to try for this cycle as most programs have already began reviewing their applications for interviews. Not that it's impossible but I think your chances might be pushing it for this cycle? I guess it might be worth a shot--the limiting factor is getting all your letters of rec, transcripts, and PASS stuff in, but if you can get it all in on time then why not? Good luck either way whatever you decide!
Hi Kinfe,

Do you know what kind of preps University of Alabama ask in the interview.
 
Do you know what kind of preps University of Alabama ask in the interview.[/QUOTE]

I did not interviewed there last year, but may I can find out for you.
 
Interview information that I know.

Alabama: You just have to stay in their department for 1-2 days. Tag along with the faculties and residents. They will evaluate you throughout those 2 days. I am not sure whether it is this way for everyone but one I know who just graduated there did this.

Loma Linda: Called 10 ppl for 4-5 spots. It took whole day for interview, lab test (wax-up and crown preparation), literature summary and interpretation. Very stressful day.

BU: Interview directly with program director and then with department's chairman. They will also walk you around the department. Applying for residency combined with research degree (DScD,MSD) increase your chance.
 
Thank you gprostho123.So just observing in the clinic.I have interview on Oct 13 and 14th.Can you please confirm if you know somebody.
 
Interview information that I know.

Alabama: You just have to stay in their department for 1-2 days. Tag along with the faculties and residents. They will evaluate you throughout those 2 days. I am not sure whether it is this way for everyone but one I know who just graduated there did this.

Loma Linda: Called 10 ppl for 4-5 spots. It took whole day for interview, lab test (wax-up and crown preparation), literature summary and interpretation. Very stressful day.

BU: Interview directly with program director and then with department's chairman. They will also walk you around the department. Applying for residency combined with research degree (DScD,MSD) increase your chance.

Hi holyhik,
I have interview from Lomalinda and Alabama.Do have any idea about wax up in Loma linda.They ask anterior or posterior wax up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I remember correctly it was premolar wax-up
The preparation is for PFM. They stated the margin design for you so don't do more than they ask
 
Hello Drs,
I am a recent graduate and I am interested in applying for prosthodontic postgraduate program in the US. The problem is that I have a low CGPA (2.25). Do I sound crazy..maybe? but I am still interested...yes I do have a low GPA but I had my circumstances. I am thinking about the present now so I would like to know if I have a chance if my CV is improved or strengthened. I am now a clinical attachment in my school and currently doing some research projects. I'm also planning to add to my experience something related to prosthodontics such as implant training. I would like to know if this can boost my chances along with passing both parts in the NBDE and scoring high in TOEFL. If I have some clinical experience in private clinics and at least doing a short term preceptorship/observorship will that help too? I would be grateful if someone helps/guides me to a solution and give me hope or an advice as to whether to carry on and apply. Thanks in advance.
 
@a11790
1. "Do I sound crazy?"
No. Don't let anyone/anything get in the way of your aspirations.
2. "I would like to know if I have a chance if my CV is improved or strengthened."
Yes, you will always have a chance if you have something very strong to compensate. Odds are definitely against you, but not impossible.
3. (a)"I would like to know if [implant experience] can boost my chances..." sure, it definitely wouldn't hurt in case you don't end up getting in. (b) "along with passing both parts in the NBDE and scoring high in TOEFL." no, this won't help. this is a minimum requirement at many programs so think of it as a 'standard' that you've met at least.
4. "If I have some clinical experience in private clinics and at least doing a short term preceptorship/observorship will that help too?"
While this helps, you have to find a way to actually quantify your experience. Just saying you have experience isn't enough. So, you have to quantify it as # of hours of CE that you've taken, # of hours you worked and what kind of procedures you learned and are comfortable doing, etc. No one wants to just see "experience." You could technically get "experience" at a public health clinic where you're not doing any complex prosth. Catch my drift?

Ultimately, you're going to have to work so much harder than the average individual to make your application appealing. Your low-GPA will always be working against you, but can't be overcome if you get what i mean. Get your research published, or present the research at local meetings, or posters, etc. Shadow/observe/extern at programs that you're interested in so that they get to actually meet the person behind the name.
Hope that's helpful & wasn't too harsh. Best of luck!
 
Hello Drs,
I am a recent graduate and I am interested in applying for prosthodontic postgraduate program in the US. The problem is that I have a low CGPA (2.25). Do I sound crazy..maybe? but I am still interested...yes I do have a low GPA but I had my circumstances. I am thinking about the present now so I would like to know if I have a chance if my CV is improved or strengthened. I am now a clinical attachment in my school and currently doing some research projects. I'm also planning to add to my experience something related to prosthodontics such as implant training. I would like to know if this can boost my chances along with passing both parts in the NBDE and scoring high in TOEFL. If I have some clinical experience in private clinics and at least doing a short term preceptorship/observorship will that help too? I would be grateful if someone helps/guides me to a solution and give me hope or an advice as to whether to carry on and apply. Thanks in advance.

Are you US graduated? If not, the chance might be even more against you.
 
@knife

Thank you very much for your advice. I do know it will be a difficult road and yes I did understand from you that quality matters and not the quantity. What I hope is that if I do as you said about research and continuing education is that they can give me an opportunity for an interview, because I think in an interview even though I also know that interviews are never easy) there maybe a chance to try and proove to them that I am worth it or what do you think?
 
@Holyhik

I am not a US graduate...but I don't think it is a disadvantage. Why do you think its a disadvantage while others didn't mention that????? There are many non-US graduates applying if being a foreign trained dentist is a disadvantage I don't think many people would consider doing postgraduate in the US. I am open to all opinions and suggestions but they should be meaningful and constructive with an advice or a solution to my problem.
 
@knife

Thank you very much for your advice. I do know it will be a difficult road and yes I did understand from you that quality matters and not the quantity. What I hope is that if I do as you said about research and continuing education is that they can give me an opportunity for an interview, because I think in an interview even though I also know that interviews are never easy) there maybe a chance to try and proove to them that I am worth it or what do you think?

Exactly. Once you get an interview, then you can show the programs/interviewers why they should accept you to their program. Best of luck either way!
 
@Holyhik

I am not a US graduate...but I don't think it is a disadvantage. Why do you think its a disadvantage while others didn't mention that????? There are many non-US graduates applying if being a foreign trained dentist is a disadvantage I don't think many people would consider doing postgraduate in the US. I am open to all opinions and suggestions but they should be meaningful and constructive with an advice or a solution to my problem.

I am just telling from my thought. Being non-us graduated plus that gpa really work against you. I am non-us graduate as well and now in last year of prosth residency in US. The main limitation is that some school accept only US graduated so your choices will be limited compared to US grad. I am not saying it is impossible.

What I saw many people did before try to apply to US residency program is that most of them try to finish 1-2 years post grad education in their country first. These will give you new GPA so at least you can show that you can do good gpa if you want to and also this will show them that you already had experience on that field.

Ofcourse many people including me can get into residency program in 1 shot but if my gpa is like that I will consider doing this.
 
Last edited:
I want to know if I pursue a master degree or a diploma in prosthodontics in my home country since it is easier for me..will that help in boosting my chances or will it still be the same?
 
I want to know if I pursue a master degree or a diploma in prosthodontics in my home country since it is easier for me..will that help in boosting my chances or will it still be the same?
Yes that would be helpful. One of our current resident in Prosth program had graduated Prosthodontics residency in his country and got board certified from his country before joining our program here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump. Hate to see this thread die out!

Anyone accepting offers anywhere? This info really helps future classes as to when positions and interviews are offered!

Best of luck to everyone
 
Bump. Hate to see this thread die out!

Anyone accepting offers anywhere? This info really helps future classes as to when positions and interviews are offered!

Best of luck to everyone
Me too. It helped me when I was applying. See you next week in Orlando.