Prosthodontics in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimichango

Reaction score
For all the prosthodontist in private practice, how has your patient base been? How would you compare it to the patient base that you saw in your residency program?
I'm currently a third year in dental school, very interested in applying for a prosthodontic residency, but I'm just unsure about how it is out of school in private practice.

Sent from my HTC U11 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For all the prosthodontist in private practice, how has your patient base been? How would you compare it to the patient base that you saw in your residency program?
I'm currently a third year in dental school, very interested in applying for a prosthodontic residency, but I'm just unsure about how it is out of school in private practice.

You will want to set up as a GP and target retired population. You will not be referred based.

Reactions: 1 user

Pros is literally a dead specialty. You are better off taking ce courses and doing cosmetic full mouth cases. I don’t know anyone that refers to prostho. I’m sure there are 1-2 established guys in all major cities that cater to the Uber rich, but chances are you aren’t going to be one of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prosth can be profitable, they deal with some high dollar cases. Lots of full mouth rehab, all on fours. I don’t know a lot about the market, it would be good to talk to someone on dentaltown maybe. I hear prosth is a great residency if you want to teach, but there are probably some private practice opportunities

Prosth is an underutilized but most certainly not a dead specialty. In the age of the shrinking middle class and GPs who refer as little as possible, it's not easy to be a private practice prosthodontist. There's plenty of opportunities in academia and hospitals (VA especially) for prosth though.

After seeing the difference in knowledge between your average GP and your average prosth, I will only refer friends/family to prosth for any complex treatment.

Reactions: 2 users