Proton NMR: pi conjugation & aromatic ring equivalence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hON6uDI.png

First of all
wtfclips_0_standard_730_0.gif

Second of all, is this something we should know for the MCAT? I've literally never heard of pi conjugation negating the equivalence of protons in an aromatic ring. Are there any other obscure "exceptions" that I should know about? I didn't know the MCAT tested on complex splitting, either.

Members don't see this ad.

hON6uDI.png

First of all
wtfclips_0_standard_730_0.gif

Second of all, is this something we should know for the MCAT? I've literally never heard of pi conjugation negating the equivalence of protons in an aromatic ring. Are there any other obscure "exceptions" that I should know about? I didn't know the MCAT tested on complex splitting, either.

This question is tricky. My answer was A :(.

It requires several folds of knowledge in order to answer it (knowing how many non-equivalent hydrogens exist, knowing that the n+1 rule applies only to equivalent hydrogens, and remembering the rules regarding deshielding). I wouldn't expect it to be on the test, but if it were, it is still a fair game.

I dont see 8 non-equivalent H.....

5 on the ring and 3 on the chain.

The pi conjugation eliminating symmetry seems a little harsh for an MCAT question. I do think you should know the splitting though, as this one is pretty straightforward and definitely something you could see on the test.

Last edited:
I never knew that the neighbor rule n+1 was only for equivalent hydrogens. Do you mean that neighbors on either side must all be equivalent to each other?? If so, how do you calculate the splitting in that case??