Protons are blowing Rad Onc's boat out the CMS water

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With the cancer moonshot 2.0 relaunch announced, i see a lot of MDACC in pics with Biden. I wonder if some proton grift is in the works. Never count Biden or the Chinese out folks!

Biden’s wag the dog moment?!

Members don't see this ad.

Biden's son Beau apparently had some of his cancer treatment at MDACC, and both Joe Biden and George W Bush helped raise $15 million at the 75th annual gala of MDACC in one night, back in 2016.

I wish my cancer center could raise funds like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Biden's son Beau apparently had some of his cancer treatment at MDACC, and both Joe Biden and George W Bush helped raise $15 million at the 75th annual gala of MDACC in one night, back in 2016.

I wish my cancer center could raise funds like that.
If you take all the elites with GBM like Beau Biden and Ted Kennedy and take account of all the extremely expensive (PROTON) treatments they received, I am pretty confident that it would be the same as if they were treated at a rural RO center anywhere else in the country.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Family gets a $200M judgement against United Healthcare for denying lung cancer proton therapy... which caused him to die, obv

There's way more data for IMRT in breast than protons for lung cancer, and United/Evicore deny IMRT for breast all the time

Some lawyer somewhere is missing out on a major class action suit on behalf of all breast cancer patients in America

p6Yh83f.png

Family gets a $200M judgement against United Healthcare for denying lung cancer proton therapy... which caused him to die, obv

There's way more data for IMRT in breast than protons for lung cancer, and United/Evicore deny IMRT for breast all the time

Some lawyer somewhere is missing out on a major class action suit on behalf of all breast cancer patients in America

p6Yh83f.png
there's gotta be more to it than what mentioned

Reactions: 3 users
He went to "Texas". There is a cancer center there that ... likes ... protons.
Sure, and I won't speak ill of people I may or may not have trained with that may or may not make this recommendation. Just seems this isn't enough for a $200M judgement based on what's written. For an attorney to even take this case there must have been more to it. Dying a little over a year after this dx is not a surprise in any circumstance, so hard to come up with damages unless there was something more than just denying protons.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure, and I won't speak ill of people I may or may not have trained with that may or may not make this recommendation. Just seems this isn't enough for a $200M judgement based on what's written. For an attorney to even take this case there must have been more to it. Dying a little over a year after this dx is not a surprise in any circumstance, so hard to come up with damages unless there was something more than just denying protons.
You're right - it is rampant speculation at this point.

If a "rock star" thoracic radiation oncologist from "Texas" says you need proton RT, you don't get it and then you die... and your family sues, and your "rock star" thoracic buddies calls their friends from NY, Philadelphia, DC and Chicago that also like protons a lot to be their expert witnesses, maybe that does get you $200m? I don't know.

I’ve wondered whether the proton industry might help with the legal fees in these lawsuits. It is modern medicine’s snake oil

If a "rock star" thoracic radiation oncologist from "Texas" says you need proton RT, you don't get it and then you die... and your family sues, and your "rock star" thoracic buddies calls their friends from NY, Philadelphia, DC and Chicago that also like protons a lot to be their expert witnesses, maybe that does get you $200m? I don't know.
I'm not sure how protons would've helped prevent this guy's '83 Lincoln from exploding when he turned the ignition, as there's no way the guy in that pic died any other way.

• Haha

Also, more concerning is, can we be sued for not sending this guy to see if he'd benefit from protons?

Members don't see this ad :)
there's gotta be more to it than what mentioned
Severe esophagitis is the only other thing mentioned in the story. No doubt the protonistas lined up to show the beauty of their DVHs.

Severe esophagitis is the only other thing mentioned in the story. No doubt the protonistas lined up to show the beauty of their DVHs.

In the only randomized trial of photons vs. protons for lung cancer (yes, I know older proton techniques) there was no difference in esophagitis or pneumonitis. If the PTV is touching the esophagus there will be no difference in max esophageal dose. I guess mean may be different with protons or photons. At bragg peak biological dose in esophagus may actually be worse with protons.

Hard to know exactly without looking at all of the case but my first worry from a doc standpoint is like someone else posted above.....?how long until a rad onc gets sued for not referring for protons? The slippery slope "fallacy" is a fallacy.

Also the advertising is so strong with many modalities (not unique to just protons...cyberknife, gamma knife, etc).

I had a guy with major rectal problems from prostate proton therapy (I was seeing him for something else). His comment to me was "just imagine how bad the rectal issues would have been with photons?!?"

• Haha
  • Angry
In the only randomized trial of photons vs. protons for lung cancer (yes, I know older proton techniques) there was no difference in esophagitis or pneumonitis. If the PTV is touching the esophagus there will be no difference in max esophageal dose. I guess mean may be different with protons or photons. At bragg peak biological dose in esophagus may actually be worse with protons.

Hard to know exactly without looking at all of the case but my first worry from a doc standpoint is like someone else posted above.....?how long until a rad onc gets sued for not referring for protons? The slippery slope "fallacy" is a fallacy.
Totally get it... but try explaining to a jury when you have pretty DVHs and a sad story and a grieving family and a expert proton witnesses telling them otherwise. Not justice, but reality.

Personally know of a lawsuit where a surgeon was sued for not referring to a radiation oncologist, after nerve damage resulted from the operation.

Totally get it... but try explaining to a jury when you have pretty DVHs and a sad story and a grieving family and a expert proton witnesses telling them otherwise. Not justice, but reality.

Personally know of a lawsuit where a surgeon was sued for not referring to a radiation oncologist, after nerve damage resulted from the operation.

Oh I know. All bets are off with a jury involved.

There's a reason why many cases are settled within policy limits if possible, even if the underlying pathophysiology of the plantiffs case is complete BS
Doing legal review as side hustle really opens your eyes. Recommend it if only once to get the sense of what goes on.

Canada has now announced protons are coming to Toronto. $5 million Canadian has been allocated by the government for planning a 5 room center affiliated with Princess Margaret Hospital. I think they're tired of sending their pediatric patients out of country and saw how much they can save by not outsourcing to MDACC etc.

Princess Margaret also offers a "Proton Consultation Service", where their affiliated dosimetrist will make a comparison plan for you to quantify the difference from an Xray plan.

• Haha
Canada has now announced protons are coming to Toronto. $5 million Canadian has been allocated by the government for planning a 5 room center affiliated with Princess Margaret Hospital. I think they're tired of sending their pediatric patients out of country and saw how much they can save by not outsourcing to MDACC etc.

Are you sure you are not missing a zero in that amount? 5 vault center should cost tens of millions of dollars

I think that's for the architects, developers and other early "planning" expenses. You're correct about the actual cost of construction. I think MDACC's current expansion with 4 rooms cost $160 M. The machines are getting smaller and cheaper, but construction costs are only going up right now.

Reactions: 1 user
I think some kind of scale has now been tipped that the UK has 2 proton centers (and more on the way) which NICE and the NHS will pay for. This is interesting considering how cost-conscious the Brits, Canadians and Australian socialized systems are. The Adelaide proton center is now about halfway through construction, I think.

I think some kind of scale has now been tipped that the UK has 2 proton centers (and more on the way) which NICE and the NHS will pay for. This is interesting considering how cost-conscious the Brits, Canadians and Australian socialized systems are. The Adelaide proton center is now about halfway through construction, I think.

well every developed country should have proton options. NHS and Canada are doing it right. will serve many many many people.

not like the GOOD DEAR people of the ****hole florida who need a proton in every zip code.

I'm not surprised about UK/Aus/Canada protons. It is needed.

The true tell will be what cases they DON'T treat on them. Via negativa.

well every developed country should have proton options. NHS and Canada are doing it right. will serve many many many people.

not like the GOOD DEAR people of the ****hole florida who need a proton in every zip code.
I am half expecting Gov Santis to sign in a "Don't Say Photons" law in FL. If any patient is recommended to have photon-based therapy by their physician, anyone can anonymously report this and sue the physician for monetary damages. Since there are no government officials involved in this process it is totally kosher and cannot be appealed to a higher court.

Win!

• Haha
There have been a few interesting legal actions against insurers for proton denials now.

In addition to the United Healthcare $200 M judgment for the Las Vegas patient above, Aetna has a class action suit against it for breast and prostate cancer:

There was also the 2018 Oklahoma verdict against Aetna for a Head & Neck cancer patient, a $25.5 M award:

United Healthcare is also facing a class action lawsuit:

and has had legal problems from judges and lawyers with prostate cancer:

One of the arguments in legal cases has to do with age-based discrimination, because protons are a standard benefit for patients under 19 (Medicaid) and over 65 (Medicare). There is no medical reason why turning 19 or 65 would suddenly qualify or disqualify someone for a particular treatment type, e.g. protons for craniospinal in a 22 year old with medulloblastoma, which I've seen denied.

There have been a few interesting legal actions against insurers for proton denials now.

In addition to the United Healthcare $200 M judgment for the Las Vegas patient above, Aetna has a class action suit against it for breast and prostate cancer:

There was also the 2018 Oklahoma verdict against Aetna for a Head & Neck cancer patient, a $25.5 M award:

United Healthcare is also facing a class action lawsuit:

and has had legal problems from judges and lawyers with prostate cancer:

One of the arguments in legal cases has to do with age-based discrimination, because protons are a standard benefit for patients under 19 (Medicaid) and over 65 (Medicare). There is no medical reason why turning 19 or 65 would suddenly qualify or disqualify someone for a particular treatment type, e.g. protons for craniospinal in a 22 year old with medulloblastoma, which I've seen denied.
This is a really interesting argument but I've been yelling at EvilCore (tm) for years now exclaiming, "Medicare covers it, why don't you?"

I don't see any private payors caving in to this - it is far cheaper to pay these occasional lawsuits than to start approving protons across the board.

This is a really interesting argument but I've been yelling at EvilCore (tm) for years now exclaiming, "Medicare covers it, why don't you?"

I don't see any private payors caving in to this - it is far cheaper to pay these occasional lawsuits than to start approving protons across the board.
This interesting thing is how United changed their policy for prostate cancer January 1, 2019 (in the absence of any new evidence).

United/Evicore has no problems paying these ridiculous lawsuits, yet I have to do a peer to peer to get a PET approved for an esophageal cancer or IMRT for a left sided chest wall with mean heart dose of 8Gy.

Infuriating

This interesting thing is how United changed their policy for prostate cancer January 1, 2019 (in the absence of any new evidence).

I have not looked into this, but I was told verbally some of this had to do with United being an investor in a proton endeavor (?a proton center or something?). Could be complete hearsay but would be curious if true.

Would that be legal? Wouldn't be totally shocked if it was.

I have no clue. Heard it around 2020ish from someone in the know on proton insurance issues.

I *think* it was in relation to a major market (?NY or Chicago? ) proton center.

Probably wouldn’t be hard to verify or refute. Of course the funder wouldn’t be listed as “United health” on the documents, but could be figured out.

It’s obviously tin foil hat material, but would not surprise me either way.

Right now, if an icd10 code is included in the cms covered list of diagnoses for imrt you will get paid. Its almost on your honor that you are appropriately utilizing. However, if you get audited they could do a deeper dive into your cases and nail you even for an approved icd10 they already paid for. People mistake cms paying for a code to mean its "approved" in all cases. The private insurers are just more explicit in their guidelines. At the end of the day the guidelines have to hold up to legal scrutiny, and given how actuarially driven these companies are im sure they are confident in their policies.

p6Yh83f.png

“United Healthcare “. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving group of f*****s.

I am half expecting Gov Santis to sign in a "Don't Say Photons" law in FL. If any patient is recommended to have photon-based therapy by their physician, anyone can anonymously report this and sue the physician for monetary damages. Since there are no government officials involved in this process it is totally kosher and cannot be appealed to a higher court.

Win!

This would be an absolute hoot to have as a hobby as a very well off, retired, Florida physician who was a big-time cancer
patient with rad rx etc ( done with that bs thank goodness)