Prove to me that your not another unaware human...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heraclitus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any books/audios on detecting tone... and labeling any one use of tone... the study of intonation. I know really basic stuff like: people raise their pitch when stressed, speak lower and slower when depressed... etc. But would like to know more. I'm studying facial expressions right now FACS (paul eckman). I know a lot of books on personality but can't find anything on, explaining what it means when we use certain words... or words things a certain way.

If you successfully point me in the right direction, I'll give you a breakthrough session on being happy all the time... but you have to really impress me, don't believe me? I know NLP and am studying conversational hypnosis, normally anyone in the field of NLP could program you with happiness... creating triggers... visual anchors if you will... but I found something deeper...

"Life's a joke, why not laugh!" :D

Members don't see this ad.

Update: NLP folks still not testing their stuff, still not updating it, still more than happy to sell books and seminar tickets.

Beware of certainty, and anyone selling video game hacks to mental processes. Also, actually read Ekman's work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not an update if its old news... NLP cannot be empirically proven... a simple devolved reasoning point: I don't like religious people (NLP Community?), but I believe in God (NLP) and have faith that he exists except in this case NLP isn't God and my faith in the profession actually produces fruit... can you actually change people... I can?

And to go along with your thought: (this... just... in... I'm not selling anything... I'm giving this to you for free...) your not doing a very good job of helping people... applied psychology... person... individual... guy... go on living your resourcefully, inefficient, unconscious... life... friend...

For whoever replies next... since the heading didn't click... don't reply indirectly its a very depressing sign that you don't know how to think truthfully... you study psychology, your a little self-aware... when you reply if you actually have information that can help me... it will probably be detailed, to the point, and direct.

There's a lot of ambiguous presuppositions in the last thread so try not to think myopically...

In my first post I said: "explaining what it means when we use certain words... or words things a certain way." That's another request additionally to the question asked about tone...

Maybe your tone is lost through this communication via text but why not ask for information in a way that doesn't make people want to roll their eyes and click the back-button on their browser?

Maybe your tone is lost through this communication via text but why not ask for information in a way that doesn't make people want to roll their eyes and click the back-button on their browser?

But the intonation and style... He uses... is critical to the...

...information being received

Jon Snow: Nice word usage... your whole thought was perceptive...

Phillydave: You hurt my feelings! Excellent use of a metaphor tie in, though... ('tone being lost')... even though your reply is a bit negative/defensive. (Now giving in to my human side...) allow me to make excuses for myself... in this case the request is pretty straightforward, its something I don't need to hypnotically elicit...

"
Resistance – Reality is frequently at odds with how the mind believes things ought to be. As a result the ego has to counter constant challenges to its identity and its hopes for fulfilment. This gives rise to the ego's defence mechanisms,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now#cite_note-17 and becomes a "habitual resistance to or denial of what is."" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now

Be humble and happy... not proud. This hyperlink is mostly rubbish, but there is a reality that most every body who reads it is over looking... (I don't know why this post is mostly underlined...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now#cite_note-Tolle.2C_Power_of_Now.2C_2005.2C_p._61-18

:troll:

p.s. I believe you meant "you're" not another unaware human.

Sorry to hurt your feelings! I meant no real harm. Your lecture on "ego" gives me hope that yours was likely unscathed by my comments.

I gotta say, your posts have been the most entertaining part of my day so far (sadly enough). It's always fascinating reading the strange and almost morbid self-righteous babble of a person hunkered in what I imagine to be a dark basement surrounded by jumbled newspaper clippings from the 1980's and a stack of Nietzche workings from high school. Clearly I've wasted my time trying to apprise a fellow member of this forum that the best way to ask for help is to not be a psycho.

Also, I can't find the "defensive" part of my last posting, though ironically your response was entirely defensive. And even more ironic, this entire post, you could say, is entirely defensive. Honestly, I can't wait for your response, it should be equally as bewildering as the last few!

*edit*

As an update... Placido Pilanco just made an amazing foul-ball catch in the sixth inning, so that just became the most entertaining part of my day.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I kind of want to know how to be happy all of the time. It sounds pretty sweet.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know that look that a dog gives when s/he is confused....the head cocked to the side, raised right/left eyebrow, and a look of general befuddlement....I just did that. Thank you for an entertaining if not slightly esoteric topic matter. Hello 3 day weekend.

PhillyDave: You are right... I wasn't offended, I was just wondering how you would react... if I said that. You shouldn't feel bewildered, all of my replies are sarcastic, and playful. Zero Defensiveness... seriously... I would admit it if I was. I used to be extremely tactful and hypnotic in my speech... but as of recently, in my search for truth this new behavior surfaced... I would explain but, telling you will serve no useful purpose, and will bore you, so I won't.

A thought for the day: Aren't we all entertainers... jesters if you will... in the short appearance in this Court you call a life. Comically striving for the approval of those who are looking on self-righteously, hunkered in their sense of right, babbling on in their useless, strange, morbid, thoughts that in the end barely relate to complete truths (this forum being the exception)... and at the end of our performance, the king making a judgment of life or death within the realm of this earth/dimension.

The Nietzche comment was pretty funny...

PhillyDave: You are right... I wasn't offended, I was just wondering how you would react... if I said that. You shouldn't feel bewildered, all of my replies are sarcastic, and playful. Zero Defensiveness... seriously... I would admit it if I was. I used to be extremely tactful and hypnotic in my speech... but as of recently, in my search for truth this new behavior surfaced... I would explain but, telling you will serve no useful purpose, and will bore you, so I won't.

A thought for the day: Aren't we all entertainers... jesters if you will... in the short appearance in this Court you call a life. Comically striving for the approval of those who are looking on self-righteously, hunkered in their sense of right, babbling on in their useless, strange, morbid, thoughts that in the end barely relate to complete truths (this forum being the exception)... and at the end of our performance, the king making a judgment of life or death within the realm of this earth/dimension.

The Nietzche comment was pretty funny...

Some yeses of agreement, many "ehs" of disagreement. However, I can say honestly this is the most bizarre thread I've ever participated in.

I forgot... to say... your minimizing happiness...

I won't ask "How?" because I'm frankly all Jehova's-Witnessed-out for the day. But maybe that's a topic for a different time, a different thread perhaps.

Where'd you get the Jehovah Witness thought from... are you one? Do you think I'm one? Your answers right no matter what you say... I'm really curious though...

Looking back... my last post waz weird...

Nah, just a cute jab... to say it felt like clicking on this thread this morning was like opening my front door to find two modestly dressed people holding pamphlets and offering to enlighten me. Don't sweat the weird posts. I reckon several of mine leave people wondering at times as well.

Also, I am now hypnotized.

Agreed.

And two things:

1. If you placed yourself on a stiff regiment of peyote for the next several weeks, you will acquire the same level of... "happiness."

2. If you find a box in a sandy field with Brad Pitt's wife's head in it, be sure to keep the OP in mind, for you may become a useful character witness for the FBI.

I have no idea how to fully understand this thread no matter how much I'd like to.

Does this say something about my intelligence? I hope not... I just don't understand what the OP is going on about LOL

For SURVIVOR fans out there reading this thread: Doesn't Heraclitus remind you of Coach the "Dragon Slayer" from the current season??

I have no idea how to fully understand this thread no matter how much I'd like to.

Does this say something about my intelligence? I hope not... I just don't understand what the OP is going on about LOL

I think it says that you speak English and not Martian or Trogolodyte.

For SURVIVOR fans out there reading this thread: Doesn't Heraclitus remind you of Coach the "Dragon Slayer" from the current season??

Yes.

Actually, the cadence of some of the OP's posts reminds me of Captain Kirk. . . from the . . . Starship . . . Enterprise.

I mean, come on, can't you just hear Captain Kirk saying this sentence in almost the exact same way? "I forgot... to say... your minimizing happiness...

"Eternal happiness for a dollar?... I think I'd be happier with the dollar."

Anyone know where that's from?

Mr. Burns says this in The Simpsons as a response to Homer's automatic dialer/telemarking scheme.

In response to the OP, are there specific words you're thinking about? Also, have you looked into the idea of how people construct meaning together as opposed to individual words?

Is there any books/audios on detecting tone... and labeling any one use of tone... the study of intonation. I know really basic stuff like: people raise their pitch when stressed, speak lower and slower when depressed... etc. But would like to know more. I'm studying facial expressions right now FACS (paul eckman). I know a lot of books on personality but can't find anything on, explaining what it means when we use certain words... or words things a certain way.

I've always liked the tonal quality in a Thai girl....as well as facial expressions.:thumbup:

Actually, the cadence of some of the OP's posts reminds me of Captain Kirk. . . from the . . . Starship . . . Enterprise.

I mean, come on, can't you just hear Captain Kirk saying this sentence in almost the exact same way? "I forgot... to say... your minimizing happiness...

Or Horatio Cane... right, ILGirl? *puts on sunglasses*

...Okay, I've contributed nothing to this thread but TV references.

I like to think of this thread as the comedic vacation from clinical psychology thread. Anyone hear the one about the priest and the rabbi?

...I don't actually have a punchline.

Hmmmm, and here I thought that they were both just bad actors. But, maybe, just maybe, they were secretly NLP practitioners trying to hypnotize us with their words. LOL

LOL you're right!! except that Horatio repeats everything he says, doesn't he? ... Every... thing... he says. :D

Also, futureapppsy2, you have contributed to my happiness today! :laugh:

I think we're all a little happier after reading this thread; hopefully Heraclitus doesn't think he had anything to do with it. although... maybe... just...maybe...he...did.... gasp...

ok also, whoever made the comment about the mississippis: funniest thing I've read all day.

LOL you're right!! except that Horatio repeats everything he says, doesn't he? ... Every... thing... he says. :D

Also, futureapppsy2, you have contributed to my happiness today! :laugh:

Yes. Also, Sunshine, the person's name needs to be at the beginning AND end of the sentence and at some point you need to put your hands on your hips, right, Sunshine?

Glad to could contribute to your happiness! :thumbup:

Yes. Also, Sunshine, the person's name needs to be at the beginning AND end of the sentence and at some point you need to put your hands on your hips, right, Sunshine?

Glad to could contribute to your happiness! :thumbup:

Yes, of course... and you need to keep your head tilted down awkwardly until just the right moment, at which point you need to end with a clever one-liner. LOL maybe I watch too much CSI: Miami....