Providence Portland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flabs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts/opinions/facts about Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland, OR. We all know OHSU reigns supreme in portland - but what about this community program. I understand OHSU has its students rotate through there and that it's a tertiary care center with good pathology?

Any residents out there that could comment on the program? lifestyle? academics? are you getting a good education? fellowship/job placement?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

was wondering 'bout the same thing. looks like based on past searches, it's

OHSU,
St Vincent
Providence
Emmanuel

for Portland programs. Dunno what that means exactly, but supposedly OHSU and StVincent attracts more AMGs, Providence has a good mix of IMGs and Emmanuel is more IMG than AMG. Something like that. But I'm basing it off of older posts. Dunno if it has changed. :confused:

was wondering 'bout the same thing. looks like based on past searches, it's

OHSU,
St Vincent
Providence
Emmanuel

for Portland programs. Dunno what that means exactly, but supposedly OHSU and StVincent attracts more AMGs, Providence has a good mix of IMGs and Emmanuel is more IMG than AMG. Something like that. But I'm basing it off of older posts. Dunno if it has changed. :confused:

Not so sure about Providence having a lot of IMGs (check the website: http://www.providence.org/oregon/medical_education/providence_portland/residents_current.htm) you've got places like OHSU, hopkins, and UW in there.

Anyone have any further input? ie. fellowship placement? I'd love to hear any feedback if anyone has any...

Members don't see this ad :)
My response and ranking was strictly based on past posts when I did a search and tried to comb through the info. Seemed like no one was responding so I was just trying to help. Don't get me wrong, I'm interviewing at Providence, too. Hopefully, it will be a great experience.

Best of luck to ya, let us know what you think!

I spent a month at Providence St Vincent as a medical student, applied there, interviewed there, and last minute (the night before) changed my rank list and dropped them to number 2. I ended up getting my first choice and am now at a top ranked ivy league medicine program and can't say how many times I have thought that I wish I hadn't changed my rank list. Providence St Vincent is an outstanding program that in my opinion, few programs can compete with.

I spent a month at Providence St Vincent as a medical student, applied there, interviewed there, and last minute (the night before) changed my rank list and dropped them to number 2. I ended up getting my first choice and am now at a top ranked ivy league medicine program and can't say how many times I have thought that I wish I hadn't changed my rank list. Providence St Vincent is an outstanding program that in my opinion, few programs can compete with.

Hey Sisyphus-

thanks for the input. Could you elaborate any further as to why you liked it so much there? What are the benefits that you see from where you're at to what providence offers?

Hey Sisyphus-

thanks for the input. Could you elaborate any further as to why you liked it so much there? What are the benefits that you see from where you're at to what providence offers?

They have it all...solid academic teaching within a community based program, without the often malignant non-sense that you encounter at large tertiary academic centers. They hold these afternoon infectious disease sessions that were really interesting...always looked forward to those. In general it's more laid back yet just as focused and intense in terms of medicine and teaching. Plus the faculty and attendings are just awesome!

Hi Sisyphus, How would you compare Providence Portland Medical vs Providence St Vincent Medical? Significant difference? What about their fellowship placment?
thanks

With the interview season winding down - anyone out there have any comments or thoughts after interviewing here? I'd love to get some more insight...:)

With the interview season winding down - anyone out there have any comments or thoughts after interviewing here? I'd love to get some more insight...:)

Hey flabs, yeah, I really liked that Providence program a lot. I thought the PD was involved with the residents, was personable, and spent a lot of time and effort trying to recruit the program. The facilities were like new and I felt like I were in a hotel of some sort at times during the tour. I have nothing negative to say about the program. The only thing, perhaps, is that if you are a fellowship-driven person, then a community program like Providence may not be the best choice (I got the sense the program catered to primary care people foremost). That sucks, because I would say I liked Providence a lot more than other university programs I've been to. So I dunno what I'm gonna do when ranking time comes along.

Did you have specific questions? Bottom line is, I was really impressed with the program and I would probably go there over many university programs.

Hey flabs, yeah, I really liked that Providence program a lot. I thought the PD was involved with the residents, was personable, and spent a lot of time and effort trying to recruit the program. The facilities were like new and I felt like I were in a hotel of some sort at times during the tour. I have nothing negative to say about the program. The only thing, perhaps, is that if you are a fellowship-driven person, then a community program like Providence may not be the best choice (I got the sense the program catered to primary care people foremost). That sucks, because I would say I liked Providence a lot more than other university programs I've been to. So I dunno what I'm gonna do when ranking time comes along.

Did you have specific questions? Bottom line is, I was really impressed with the program and I would probably go there over many university programs.

Thanks for the feedback, jonsir. I've heard a lot of similar comments about the place and much like your thought process - I think it would be a great place to do your training, except...

I just worry about fellowship placement. I'm not 100% sure that I want to do a fellowship yet, but I'd hate to sell my self short. Their website does have their fellowship placement over the past several years - but no specifics. If anyone out there could comment on this, that would be much appreciated

I matched to a fellowship after going to Prov Portland as did everyone that applied. We matched to UW for pulm/cc, MD Anderson for Heme/onc, UC Davis rheum, and Utah for ID, UTSW for ID, etc.

There was generally zero to one IMG per class, three IMGs while I was there from Germany, Israel, and Ireland. Not that that means anything.

Best three years of my medical career so far and very solid training. A lot of people stay and practice as hospitalists or primary care and a lot of people come back after fellowship. If you are interested in primary care, you have a lot more responsibility for your patients than most places.

Can't say enough good things about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Legacy? I read above that it's considered last among Portland programs and that there may be a higher percentage of IMG residents . . . I had my interview there already but of the 3 residents I met, they were all AMGs. Has anyone heard anything in terms of patient experience, research and fellowship placement? During my interview, I was asked why choose a community program if I'm interested in a fellowship but their fellowship placement seems pretty decent, for the few in their program that have chosen that path. Any thoughts from others?

Anyone have an update on these programs? I have an interview at OHSU but was also going to go on these interviews at the community programs.

Anyone else interview at any of the three programs this year? What did you guys think?

Also, what do you all think of Portland?
Thanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Legacy? I read above that it's considered last among Portland programs and that there may be a higher percentage of IMG residents . . . I had my interview there already but of the 3 residents I met, they were all AMGs. Has anyone heard anything in terms of patient experience, research and fellowship placement? During my interview, I was asked why choose a community program if I'm interested in a fellowship but their fellowship placement seems pretty decent, for the few in their program that have chosen that path. Any thoughts from others?

There is always some risk of not getting a competitive fellowship when you go to a community program. If you are absolutely sure that you want to be in primary care you can go to a community program. If you want a competitive fellowship you are prolly better off going to a university program.

Many mid-low tier community programs struggle to fill their cat IM spots with AMGs and those spots are usually filled by IMGs. Besides, having some IMGs in a program may not be a bad thing based on my experience working with some amazing IMGs from India. There will be some cultural nuances that will be different but if you are going to practice medicine in an America that is increasingly becoming very diverse perhaps it is not a bad thing to learn about other cultures!

Anyone know about legacy? I am interviewing there next week.