Provider Status for Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebecca_chatul_tov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in many states they have added collaborative practice provisions to the law and given 'provider' designations. Pharmacists’ scope-of-practice provisions include collaborative practice agreements, immunization and other medication administration, ordering and interpreting laboratory tests, and other public health– related provisions.

All of this sounds awesome - but what does it actually mean in reality. Has changes in state law translated to an increased involvement in patient services, or has it had little effect?

Members don't see this ad.

So in many states they have added collaborative practice provisions to the law and given 'provider' designations. Pharmacists’ scope-of-practice provisions include collaborative practice agreements, immunization and other medication administration, ordering and interpreting laboratory tests, and other public health– related provisions.

All of this sounds awesome - but what does it actually mean in reality. Has changes in state law translated to an increased involvement in patient services, or has it had little effect?
Yes, most ambulatory care pharmacists already do this for many years. What state are you from? Cali has been doing this for a very long time. I order and interpret lab results. I manage, adjust, start and stop medications. I see many patients in clinic as well. Hope this answers your question.

The scope of practice allowed by the government does not matter. What matters is if anyone will pay for it. If government, private insurace payors, and cash payors do not reimburse then the service will simply not be provided.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

No effect. For example in OR and CA pharmacists legally can prescribe birth control but no one does it.

Nothing changes. The process to get paid for pharmacist interventions was so complicated that the clinics and independent pharmacies I was at, so they just gave up. It didn’t work 100% of the time even when it was set up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nothing to be proud of...honestly. If I want to be a provider, I would have gone to med school.