1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Provider Status for Pharmacists

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by rebecca_chatul_tov, Oct 23, 2018.

1. rebecca_chatul_tov

Pre-Pharmacy
    So in many states they have added collaborative practice provisions to the law and given 'provider' designations. Pharmacists’ scope-of-practice provisions include collaborative practice agreements, immunization and other medication administration, ordering and interpreting laboratory tests, and other public health– related provisions.

All of this sounds awesome - but what does it actually mean in reality. Has changes in state law translated to an increased involvement in patient services, or has it had little effect?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxiscray

Pharmacist
    Yes, most ambulatory care pharmacists already do this for many years. What state are you from? Cali has been doing this for a very long time. I order and interpret lab results. I manage, adjust, start and stop medications. I see many patients in clinic as well. Hope this answers your question.

4. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

The scope of practice allowed by the government does not matter. What matters is if anyone will pay for it. If government, private insurace payors, and cash payors do not reimburse then the service will simply not be provided.

Melazine and Hels2007 like this.
  5. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No effect. For example in OR and CA pharmacists legally can prescribe birth control but no one does it.

6. rebecca_chatul_tov

Pre-Pharmacy
    Is it because of liability?

7. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Can't bill insurance for consultation like a doctor can

8. Melazine

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Nothing changes. The process to get paid for pharmacist interventions was so complicated that the clinics and independent pharmacies I was at, so they just gave up. It didn’t work 100% of the time even when it was set up.

#7 Melazine, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Hels2007 likes this.
  9. UGAZ

UGAZ SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Nothing to be proud of...honestly. If I want to be a provider, I would have gone to med school.