MPH Proving Quantitative Skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOdriscoll91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am more than interested in an MPH with an Epidemiology, but I'm a little worried about proving quantitative skills. What do schools usually look at to gauge this?

In Chem 1, Chem 2, and Physics 2 I have Ws, but have taken Chem 1 an received a B+, Physics 1 B+, Pre-Calc B+, and Stats A-.

I am a Public Health major.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure your grades matter to an extent, but I think they'll also really look at your quantitative GRE score. If you think your grades are weak, you can really prove it by doing well on your GRE (not too hard with some studying and practice). Usually schools will show average GRE scores and they are higher for epi students relative to other fields e.g. maternal and child health.

I don't think you have anything to prove. Your grades in your science/math/stats courses should be a good gauge of your preparedness for epidemiology. I did not perform well in Calculus, however my physical science scores on the MCAT were excellent. I think this was part of the reason that I was admitted to the University of Michigan for their MPH program in epidemiology. I don't think you should worry too much. Just study hard and perform well on the quantitative section (more emphasis for epidemiology) of the GRE, in addition to verbal, and you should be prepared. You are going to have to study hard in graduate school anyway, and even at Michigan, all students have to take an algebra exam before matriculation regardless of your performance on these standardized tests. Schools want to make sure that their students are proficient in math/statistics before they let you in their program. If you are admitted into an epidemiology program you will most likely be able to succeed at the schools that you are admitted to.