Provisional Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Accio

I recently interviewed at a couple of DO schools that are provisionally accredited. I just wanted to get some opinions about whether or not my chances for residency would be different graduating from a school with provisional accreditation, or I would be able to get have the same chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Highly doubt it. The specific school does not have a huge impact on residency matching...what does matter are your scores, specifically USMLE/COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently interviewed at a couple of DO schools that are provisionally accredited. I just wanted to get some opinions about whether or not my chances for residency would be different graduating from a school with provisional accreditation, or I would be able to get have the same chances.

Provisional accreditation is for schools that have not yet graduated their first class. If you are going somewhere that will graduate two classes before you (ACOM, MUCOM, or CUSOM), its very likely that your school will have full accreditation by the time you apply for residency. If you are going somewhere that has only class ahead of you (LUCOM), then it may or may not have full accreditation when you apply for residency (depending on when the COCA site-visit happens). If you are in the inaugural class of a school, it definitely will not have full accreditation when you apply for residency.

Now that that's clear, obviously a school that has a reputation and has alumni is a safer bet for PDs than one that does not, but the degree to which this is the case varies significantly depending on what type of programs you're applying to and where. This has nothing to do with accreditation, and everything to do with what I mentioned (a reputation and successful alumni). Personally, I would strongly suggest attending a school that has proven success, if you have that option. If not, it really doesn't matter much. Obviously, above all you should like wherever you go.

As someone above said, the actual reputation of your school is, generally speaking, pretty low on the list when you are considered by residency programs, especially if you are applying ACGME, where most PDs lump DOs into one category.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as other aspects to my medical education, are there any downsides with going with a school that has provisional accreditation?

As far as other aspects to my medical education, are there any downsides with going with a school that has provisional accreditation?
kinks

Usually the issue with provisional accreditation is federal loans. However, if the medical school is attached to a university that has been around for a longer time, then this isn't an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
One has nothing to do with the other.

Usually the issue with provisional accreditation is federal loans. However, if the medical school is attached to a university that has been around for a longer time, then this isn't an issue.
What is the issue with federal loans? Are you not eligible for FASFA loans if you attend an institution that has provisional accreditation?

What is the issue with federal loans? Are you not eligible for FASFA loans if you attend an institution that has provisional accreditation?

My understanding of this keeps changing through the years. I believe if the school is for-profit and not directly under a university like RVU and BCOM, then they have to wait a few years before they are eligible for federal. However, you shouldn't have to worry about this since almost all the schools have federal loans (RVU already has federal loans, but I'm not sure about BCOM).

Anyone attending a program or know of programs that are not eligible for federal loans? It would be nice to somehow get a list of schools. I'm not very interested in pulling out private loans if I can avoid it!

The biggest problem with provisional accreditation is the lack of federal student loans.
Oh wait, he beat me to it:

Anyone attending a program or know of programs that are not eligible for federal loans? It would be nice to somehow get a list of schools. I'm not very interested in pulling out private loans if I can avoid it!

BCOM is not currently but I've heard they will get access to them soon. Most new schools may not, you will have to contact them and ask