VCOM accreditation status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowaysanjose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why all the VCOMs are under accreditation with heightened monitoring?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's because of the new branch campus that opened in Louisiana

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a citation for that? I was nosing around the AOA website the other and didn't see VCOM on any list.
It is in the August 2021 accreditation update

Reactions: 1 user
Is this necessarily a problem? VCOM has a strong reputation and has been around for a while now and had their branch campuses approved by COCA. WCU is also under the same designation but has apparently improved dramatically since I was there.

It is because of the new branch being opened. VCOM is all one school with different branches, so the whole school gets the label.

- Current VCOM student

Reactions: 1 users
It is because of the new branch being opened. VCOM is all one school with different branches, so the whole school gets the label.

- Current VCOM student
This makes zero sense, the new branch campus can't get accredited till it graduates a class. If anything if it's "all one school " the new LA campus will take on the accreditation of the parent school... only way a school gets heightened monitoring is if it is non compliant or incomplient between 1-3 complacencies by COCA... it says that on thier site. So prbly one or all of their branch campuses are non compliant. Not a huge deal if they are working to fix it though and VCOM(the more established campuses) are still solid schools. We also don't know what those 3 things are could be as silly as less OMM or even something like research output(like it was for WCUCOM), or it could be more problematic things.

Plus wouldn’t it be like that at every school that started a new campus?

They have good pass rates, affiliations with some good universities, and don't seem to be very problematic. Many of the students I spoke with seemed happy with their time there, so I'm hoping it's nothing too crazy and the issues can get addressed relatively easily.

There definitely seems to be a disconnect between perception of a school and their accreditation status: exceptional outcomes, accredited and hieghted monitoring. It seems like the bigger things that bother people on SDN have nothing to do with accreditation. Not sure how much accreditation status actually matters, as long as the school is, and they all are.

Examples:
Religion-liberty
Rules-Lecom
For profit~5ish schools
Bad admin and board scores-Nova

Reactions: 2 users
There definitely seems to be a disconnect between perception of a school and their accreditation status: exceptional outcomes, accredited and hieghted monitoring. It seems like the bigger things that bother people on SDN have nothing to do with accreditation. Not sure how much accreditation status actually matters, as long as the school is, and they all are.

Examples:
Religion-liberty
Rules-Lecom
For profit~5ish schools
Bad admin and board scores-Nova
Accreditation status and "probation (in the LCME world) are very, very scary things to pre-meds, who don't know the inside baseball about these things.

If there is any school were people should be worried about such statuses, it's CNU.

What actually matters more, what COCA thinks or what SDN thinks? Interesting, right? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users