Proximal vs. Distal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgalt42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that proximal means the point closest to a point of reference and distal means a point furthest to a point of reference, but does that point you are calling proximal or distal need to be on the same limb/structure/bone?

For instance, the elbow is distal to the wrist. But isn't the shoulder distal to the wrist as well? Also in order to know what's proximal/distal, don't you need to compare it with something else? How do you know that the elbow is distal to the wrist, if you don't know if other parts of the limb are closer to the wrist such as the fingers?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an EMT question wrong by claiming that the nose is distal to the mouth. In a medical setting I believe proximal/distal are only used in reference to the appendicular body parts, and the base is always the axial body core.

Doesn't seem very MCAT related though.

EK had some questions regarding anatomical positions of body parts.

"Proximal and distal axes assume a straight position."

I'm wondering what constitutes as straight? Like in the same plane? Technically if you stretch out your entire arm, the forearm and humurus would be straight and in the same plane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that proximal means the point closest to a point of reference and distal means a point furthest to a point of reference, but does that point you are calling proximal or distal need to be on the same limb/structure/bone?

For instance, the elbow is distal to the wrist. But isn't the shoulder distal to the wrist as well? Also in order to know what's proximal/distal, don't you need to compare it with something else? How do you know that the elbow is distal to the wrist, if you don't know if other parts of the limb are closer to the wrist such as the fingers?

Elbow is proximal to the wrist. Shoulder is proximal to the wrist. Wrist is distal to the elbow and distal to the shoulder.

Proximal means closer to attachment, distal means further from attachment. It has nothing to do with "point of reference."

Sort of. Proximal and distal axes assume a straight position.

Proximal and distal have nothing to do with a straight position. They are based on anatomical position, which is standing upright with arms at your side and palms your hands anterior (forward). Even if you contort your body into a non-anatomical position shape, the terms distal, proximal, anterior, posterior, rostral, caudal, etc, do not change. In other words, when you are standing in anatomical position, your feet are inferior to your knees. When you are standing on your head, your feet are still inferior to your knees.

EK had some questions regarding anatomical positions of body parts.

"Proximal and distal axes assume a straight position."

I'm wondering what constitutes as straight? Like in the same plane? Technically if you stretch out your entire arm, the forearm and humurus would be straight and in the same plane.

See above. Google "anatomical position" if you still aren't sure. Your forearm is always distal to your humerus.

Proximal and Distal are all in relation to the body trunk. Your elbow is closer to the body trunk thus it is proximal compared to the wrist which is further from the body trunk. Proximal and distal is usually used to compare your limbs. It will be better to imagine by holding your body in a cross shape.

Proximal=proximity, near, nearby
distal=distant, far away, not near

the easiest way to remember is distal=distant
if the body part is more 'distant' to the trunk it is distal... toes are the most distal body part to the trunk...