Prroblem with Interviews requested thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The list is approaching the maximum length, (10,000 characters) that SDN allows. I will email Lee to see what can be done about this unfortunate situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote this on that thread, but I have temporarily divided it into A-M and N-Z.

Do we really need it anymore? I mean... almost all the schools are now interviewing. I think we should now start a list of school that ARE NOT interviewing yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
just close the other list and start a new list w/ the last post from the orginal list that contains all the schools/dates.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
just close the other list and start a new list w/ the last post from the orginal list that contains all the schools/dates.

Exactly, we only need the last post.

The problem isn't that the thread is getting too long, just the individual posts (no more than 10,000 characters each). So if we want to keep all of the schools and dates and stuff, we need to split the list in half like RA did.

Ahh, now I see. How about we just have the names of the schools and get rid of the names of the people, who really cares who got the invite.

just the list of schools and the number of interview invites should be sufficient. i don't care too much for the dates of each individual invite and the names

Originally posted by relatively prime
Do we really need it anymore? I mean... almost all the schools are now interviewing. I think we should now start a list of school that ARE NOT interviewing yet.

It's nice for morale to post when you get an interview, and get the applause and congrats that are often forthcoming. I loved posting on last year's thread, and I don't remember having this problem with the length of the thread.

Originally posted by Veilside
just the list of schools and the number of interview invites should be sufficient. i don't care too much for the dates of each individual invite and the names

This is probably the best solution, but names are kind of nice in case anyone wants to communicate with someone about a particular school's interview, particularly in view of the fact that interviewfeedback is still down.

How about when you start the new thread with the last post, you include at the head of the new thread a link to the old thread. If people want to go all the way back through looking at names they then can without too much extra effort....

I for one like the dates, but it doesn't really matter because the problem was already solved by splitting the list.

Originally posted by owen_osh
I for one like the dates, but it doesn't really matter because the problem was already solved by splitting the list.

Geez, upkeep on two lists for problems with numbering, bolding and non-deletion of quote codes!! I might have to retire! :p ;)

i think we could easily start two new threads: i.e. "Official A-M Interviews" and "Official N-Z" Interviews. It'd be a lot easier to locate the posts than to search around the huge lists for A-M schools which are outnumbered nearly 2-1 by the N-Z schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, Yogi, you're in charge. Go for it!! Oh, and why not make it the A - H list, or whatever evens the two lists up? Once it's correctly done, whoever started the original list could delete it, so people don't post on it by mistake.

What do you all think about this? I personally like the dates as well, but even if we split the list in 2 we may encounter the same problem (too many characters) in the future. So here is what I think....... What if we just kept the complete list, and deleted all of the dates/names of people who have already had the interview. That way new people can put up their info so that others can see and give recognition too. We just need people on a semi-regular basis to update the list and take out interview dates/names that have already passed. That should take care of the character problem. What do you think? I really like to see who is interviewing the same day as I am so I can maybe meet up with them if the school is in an unfamiliar area, and this might take care of the confusion that may result from the split list. :)

I think you guys need to take this up with Focus, who started the interview thread.

OK, I'm bowing out of this discussion, since I'm not applying this year.

Seems to me people are going to be lazy and just submit their interviews to one list or the other, now that there are two (one the A-S/T-Z detailed one, and the other schools only one, that no longer has the numbers on it). Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the list?

Just bumping this up for people who may not be aware of why the new lists were created.

hmmm,
do you guys think I can help with some of these problems? I have yet to discover all of my admin options as a moderator, but I am sure there is something that can be done for this problem. Perhaps I can learn to reset the max limit or something on these threads. Or perhaps crop the threads so we save room???

All I have to say on the subject is keep ALL the lists, because I spent an inordinate amount of time straightening out the YogiBear/BodyBuilder quagmire on all 3 lists (4 if you count the split lists on the OFFICIAL thread)!!!:D ;) :D

Again, thank you for the assistance.

ok, so here is what I am thinking--

We can still merge the A-M thread with the N-Z thread. what I can do is have the last few posts from EACH thread be merged into one thread; this way we are saving character space AND being able to keep it all together.

I will only do it if I get the "okay" from you guys. I haven't done this before so I can't promise perfection, but I am willing to try it nonetheless. Personally, I feel two threads is far too cumbersome for people to come and post on, and although risky, my idea could be worth a shot.
Let me know what you think.

Tweetie, I'll let you guys applying this year figure it out. But IMHO I don't think it's so bad the way it is right now. I'll keep helping out with upkeep whatever you all decide.

Bodybuilder, enough with the thanks and apologies!!:rolleyes: ;)