PS and letters for reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frankenstein777

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone who has applied more than once with success could lend some advice. Did any of you reapply with the same Personal statement and LORs? I might get a new letter or two, but there is one professor whose letter I would like to keep if possible. I am also a non-trad applicant with a lower GPA and I think my PS was one of the main reasons I obtained interviews this cycle.
Would it be okay to use the same personal statement? Or atleast keep it the same and maybe add in a little part about what I learned from this cycle and reapplying?
Thank you !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can keep one or two letters the same. You should change at least one. I would recommend having the ones that are same get updated with new dates, updated info and introduction, etc. just ask them to update it with new info.

You definitely need a new personal statement. Do not put what you learned about applying to dental school in that statement.

Yes, you can keep one or two letters the same. You should change at least one. I would recommend having the ones that are same get updated with new dates, updated info and introduction, etc. just ask them to update it with new info.

You definitely need a new personal statement. Do not put what you learned about applying to dental school in that statement.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. It just seems weird because I feel like my PS showed ADCOMS who I am, what I've been through and what motivates me to be a dentist and that hasn't change just because I haven't been accepted yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me I kept relatively the same personal statments throughout the 3 cycles that I applied. Mind you I did change a few sentences/wording here and there or re-edited a paragraph to help with the flow but for the most part the idea stayed the same. For me I just felt that my story as to why I wanted to be a dentist and why I changed my career was still the same so why change it? Other's will probably disagree but it worked out for me. Good luck!

For me I kept relatively the same personal statments throughout the 3 cycles that I applied. Mind you I did change a few sentences/wording here and there or re-edited a paragraph to help with the flow but for the most part the idea stayed the same. For me I just felt that my story as to why I wanted to be a dentist and why I changed my career was still the same so why change it? Other's will probably disagree but it worked out for me. Good luck!
Thank you! I feel the same way. I'm glad it helped for you. What school will you be attending?

I changed up m PS significantly this cycle. Some of the experiences were the same but the layout/style changed. As for LOR's, I got 2 new ones and I feel that they made a difference. I went from 0 interviews last time to 4 interviews and 1 acceptance so far.

You definitely don't want to use the same personal statement. You should look to improve it by explaining how you have become a better candidate since the previous cycle. We have helped hundreds of students with their personal statements who have gone on to top schools around the country.