PS and LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedTechie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first question I wrote in another thread and got little respone is this
I will be reapplying to med-school again this year and was wondering whether or not I should write a new personal statement...I know schools get so many that they have a bunch of different readers, so I was thinking it would be very rare to get the same reader and the same PS from last year wouldn't matter...Am I correct in this matter or should I just suck it up and start writting another?

My second question is about my LOR. I'm currently a grad student for the year and it has been a while since I took a non-science class. All my classes the two years before graduating were in my major and I had all my GEC's and what not done before then. I was wondering if I could have someone outside of school, like a manager or such write a LOR as it would be more personable then finding a random professor who had me 3 years ago in a class with at least 200 other students or should I just find that random teacher to have them write a generic letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that if you get invited for an interview and your application goes up for review, then everybody would read your application materials?
So that means you could be telling the same story twice over...
I rewrote all my stuff. Not because I feared boring adcoms with my stories again...but because I knew I could put together something better for my essays.

use this as a chance to bolster your application by writing an even stronger personal statement, and commenting on how your experiences this year led you to medicine. more up to date, and even better :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for my PS answers...but does anyone have a suggestion or any idea for my letter of recommendation

I think it would be great to get a LOR from outside your academic life, especially if that has not been the sole activity in your life for these past couple of years. I think it will make you stand out if you can get a well-written, complimentary letter from someone superior.

I would just make sure that you sit down with them and explain what you need in your letter. Possibly give them an example letter to make sure that all of the right elements are included.

Best wishes!

I think it would be great to get a LOR from outside your academic life, especially if that has not been the sole activity in your life for these past couple of years. I think it will make you stand out if you can get a well-written, complimentary letter from someone superior.

I would just make sure that you sit down with them and explain what you need in your letter. Possibly give them an example letter to make sure that all of the right elements are included.

Best wishes!
Thanks.

Anyone else have anythoughts?