PS and principal investigator's first name: good idea or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harposnarpo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, everybody in my lab's on a first name basis with my PI. Feels kind of weird to call him Dr. Superman. Can I just call him Clark?

Or would that look like I don't respect academia hierarchy?

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid question #2: Is it informal to abbreviate deoxyribonucleic acid?

So, everybody in my lab's on a first name basis with my PI. Feels kind of weird to call him Dr. Superman. Can I just call him Clark?

Depends. If you have been working with him for awhile and everyone else goes by first names then it's probably safe to try using his first name. If you're still new to the lab then I'd stick to the "Dr."

Members don't see this ad :)
In general the PS is a more formal piece of writing. I would suggest at least referring to Dr. Superman by that title at least once, after that you might work in the name Clark if it's an extended discussion.

side note: see this post for some more EC advice, it sounds like you might be falling into the "listing EC's pitfall... maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I strongly recommend always referring to your PI as Dr. Superman both in any essays and in describing your research during an interview.