PS content question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptK7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an expert, but I think that if its an important part of your journey to medicine then its fair game for your personal statement. You're right though, you don't want to describe it a way which makes it seem like you're looking for pity. I recommend using it as one step in your narrative which shows why you want to pursue medicine and how you have tested your interest.

From my perspective, I think that if that experience played a significant role in your decision to pursue medicine, then by all means write about it!

Like you mentioned though, you must write about it in a way that doesn't come off as a pity party.

I am trying to decide if I should mention this in my PS. I lived with a family member growing up who had multiple addictions. It played a significant role in my life and shaped my current values and identity. Should I write this, and what I learned from it, in a concise manner in my PS? Or would it be better to stay away from it as I definitely do not want it to sound like 'poor me' or make it seem like I am trying to gain from it. I appreciate the feedback.

It all depends on how you choose to address the situation. If you elaborate on the nature of addiction, how it impacts families/loved ones and the individual, and how this has shaped your intrapersonal skills (especially as a future physician), then you could probably write a very powerful/profound statement. If it's just a "my life was hard cuz my momma smoked crack," then Biggie and Pac have done it better.

EDIT. I should also shamelessly plug that I am trying to develop a guide for writing statements. It's full of bitchin and snark and a useful tip or two: medisdabest.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user