Reapplicant PS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbybruuu1234

Reaction score
Hi! I did not get into any schools this cycle and am reapplying. I feel that I have filled in the gaps in my app and am ready to reapply. I have seen on several forums that reapplicants should address their reapplication in their personal statement (ie. affirming you are still committed to medicine and explaining what you've done differently now). However, I am applying to many schools this cycle that I didn't apply to last cycle, since I think my school list was too top-heavy. Would it be weird to discuss being a reapplicant in my PS for those schools I didn't apply to last year (and obviously I can't pick and choose my PS for schools, so it's either discuss or don't discuss)? Would they even know I'm a reapplicant otherwise? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I did not get into any schools this cycle and am reapplying. I feel that I have filled in the gaps in my app and am ready to reapply. I have seen on several forums that reapplicants should address their reapplication in their personal statement (ie. affirming you are still committed to medicine and explaining what you've done differently now). However, I am applying to many schools this cycle that I didn't apply to last cycle, since I think my school list was too top-heavy. Would it be weird to discuss being a reapplicant in my PS for those schools I didn't apply to last year (and obviously I can't pick and choose my PS for schools, so it's either discuss or don't discuss)? Would they even know I'm a reapplicant otherwise? Thank you!
Doesn’t the primary app ask whether you are a reapplicant and give you a small space to comment? That would be the best place to discuss it

Doesn’t the primary app ask whether you are a reapplicant and give you a small space to comment? That would be the best place to discuss it
As far as I can tell, there is no space to discuss this on the primary. There is only the "other impactful experiences" section but that is more for adversities than reapplication struggles I think. Some schools have a reapp question in their secondaries but not all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouln’t mention it in your personal statement. The only question on the primary is if you ever matriculated to another medical school, which you didn’t. Some schools will ask in their secondaries if you’ve ever applied to medical school in the past, and most will ask what you’ve done in your gap years. You can explain there that you applied, learned, grew, etc. Use that space to explain your gap years and the growth you experienced that make you a stronger applicant now.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I can tell, there is no space to discuss this on the primary. There is only the "other impactful experiences" section but that is more for adversities than reapplication struggles I think. Some schools have a reapp question in their secondaries but not all.
The TMDSAS app does ask this & has a short essay space available.
AMCAS doesn't seem to have this, so there will be other places to mention it in secondary essays when they ask "anything else we should know?" or"what have you been doing since graduation?"

Reactions: 1 user