premeddick

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
I have a research heavy background that I think will come through in my AMCAS application. I have publications, abstracts and posters. I also have many semesters of research. Do you think it would be better then to focus my personal statement on something less science-y, like some experience I had volunteering in a hospital. My feeling is that this would humanize my application while retaining my research strengths. You opinion is appreciated.

weathertalk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Focus on unique experiences. You probably didn't discover you wanted to be a doctor while you were running a gel. :p

I would say Hospital experiences are a bit cliched as well. I mentioned my clinical volunteering experience briefly in my PS but spent most of my essay talking about more unique interests and how they tied into my interest in medicine.

C

Critical Mass

I wouldn't use a lot of essay space talking about bench research or it will look like you are better suited for a Ph.D. program. Instead focus on the reasons why you want to be a physician.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.