PS Focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have a research heavy background that I think will come through in my AMCAS application. I have publications, abstracts and posters. I also have many semesters of research. Do you think it would be better then to focus my personal statement on something less science-y, like some experience I had volunteering in a hospital. My feeling is that this would humanize my application while retaining my research strengths. You opinion is appreciated.

weathertalk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Focus on unique experiences. You probably didn't discover you wanted to be a doctor while you were running a gel. :p

I would say Hospital experiences are a bit cliched as well. I mentioned my clinical volunteering experience briefly in my PS but spent most of my essay talking about more unique interests and how they tied into my interest in medicine.

C

Critical Mass

I wouldn't use a lot of essay space talking about bench research or it will look like you are better suited for a Ph.D. program. Instead focus on the reasons why you want to be a physician.