PS vs MD/PhD essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I know that the PS should mainly talk about why medicine and the MD/PhD essay why is both needed. Is it ok to write about the desire to conduct translational research in the MD section (as this can also be done as a PhD), but it is a motivator for me to attend med school.

Also, is the MD/PhD essay supposed to be less anecdotal?

Members don't see this ad.

SO I know that the PS should mainly talk about why medicine and the MD/PhD essay why is both needed. Is it ok to write about the desire to conduct translational research in the MD section (as this can also be done as a PhD), but it is a motivator for me to attend med school.

Also, is the MD/PhD essay supposed to be less anecdotal?
both of my essays were anecdotal
i did not mention research in my PS, but I think you can as long as it is not overwhelmingly research-centric

I think it's totally fine to talk about research in the PS. For reference, I saw the PS as a chance to explain what got me interested in doing an MD/PhD, so I wrote about anecdotal stories in both research and medicine that helped me decide on the combined degree. For the "Why MD/PhD" essay, I wrote more about what I hope to do with both degrees, and in turn why doing both is necessary. That's just one example, but the point is you can discuss your research in the PS and be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any approach is fine honestly, as long as it is done well. Both essays are about giving the admissions committee an opportunity to learn more about you, outside of what your numbers and stats say. As long as you answer the prompt, inform the reader of why you want these degrees and do so in a well-written, memorable manner then you should be set to go either way.

Doing what everyone else does is certainly the "safer" option, but not necessarily the better option.

I think any approach is fine honestly, as long as it is done well. Both essays are about giving the admissions committee an opportunity to learn more about you, outside of what your numbers and stats say. As long as you answer the prompt, inform the reader of why you want these degrees and do so in a well-written, memorable manner then you should be set to go either way.

Doing what everyone else does is certainly the "safer" option, but not necessarily the better option.

I like this reply. Yes I'm all for the risks.