PSA for M1-2s: Step 1 studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollow Knight

Praise the sun
Reaction score
Hello all. Here's just a PSA since I know there's been some confusion about how to prepare for a P/F step (at least at my school). My goal here is not to make fun of anyone's study methods; I just want to help out the youngsters.

UFAPS is still king. If you want to be a dermatologist, you should probably do this/mature all of AnKing. It'll help you excel third year and crush step 2.

However, is all of UFAPS necessary to just pass? No, of course not.

My recommendation: watch and mature the AnKing cards for Pathoma, Sketchy Micro, and Sketchy Pharm. Then, do AnKing cards off your UWorld incorrects.

If you do the above, and went to an even remotely decent med school, you'll surely pass step 1.

Lastly, there is always a subset of med students who say the following: Anki doesn't work, you'll be a crappy doctor if you do third party, just trust your school's curriculum.

To those people I say: this is horrible advice. I was one of those people and almost failed step 1. My friends who completely ignored my school's curriculum skipped dedicated (passed step the first day and then went on vacation), and quite frankly, they have better medical knowledge than me.

Am I advocating for people to ignore their school's curriculum? No. However, I would encourage you to at least do Pathoma/Sketchy and UWorld if you want to pass step. Ignore it at your peril......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
When did your friends start studying for Step 1? Also, just out of curiosity, is your school a 1.5 or 2 year didactic program?

I’m an incoming MS1 so this is greatly appreciated!

Goin push back. If flashcards aren't your thing, don't waste time on something that doesn't work. Using the resources above? abosolutely. But practice questions are just as if not more effective. Scholar rx is a good burner qbank since you don't wanna waste uworld and save it. Amboss will make you question every choice you've ever made in your life since those questions are beyond difficult but again, you're reinforcing. Anki is a path for success but isn't THE ONLY path to success.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Goin push back. If flashcards aren't your thing, don't waste time on something that doesn't work. Using the resources above? abosolutely. But practice questions are just as if not more effective. Scholar rx is a good burner qbank since you don't wanna waste uworld and save it. Amboss will make you question every choice you've ever made in your life since those questions are beyond difficult but again, you're reinforcing. Anki is a path for success but isn't THE ONLY path to success.
I agree with this completely. I just know a ton of people who basically didn't study, and received advice from uppers not to study (they did like 50% of UWorld and nothing else)

Some people are smart enough to just take their med school classes and go take step, but many people aren't.

Also, for some reason a TON of the upperclassmen at my school actively discouraged anki/said using it would make you an inferior physician. Look, if you don't like it/it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but pretending that spaced repetition doesn't help a lot of people is crazy (by "you" I mean my uppers, not Hippocratesintraining

Reactions: 1 user
When did your friends start studying for Step 1? Also, just out of curiosity, is your school a 1.5 or 2 year didactic program?

I’m an incoming MS1 so this is greatly appreciated!
So if you do the pure step prep route, my friends sort of studied for the entirety of our preclinical. They did BandB, Pathoma, Sketchy, etc in place of our professors' stuff.

I'm not saying you should do that (unless you get better grades doing that, then hey, be my guest).

I personally did pathoma when we had path and sketchy when we had micro/pharm. Otherwise, I looked at my professors' slides/read Costanzo and found corresponding Anki cards.

I basically just did dedicated for step. I went in pretty unprepared, but my wife and I were having problems, so I was questioning my career choice at that point anyway. I passed, but I got super lucky, don't be like me

Reactions: 1 users
Is doing 3rd party and de-emphasizing in-house material better regardless of what school you go to? Is in-house material good at any school, and if not, what are professors even doing?

I’m wondering cause I’m also getting this advice at my school, and I’m fully on the 3rd party train but I’m wondering what the picture is like at other schools.

Is doing 3rd party and de-emphasizing in-house material better regardless of what school you go to? Is in-house material good at any school, and if not, what are professors even doing?

I’m wondering cause I’m also getting this advice at my school, and I’m fully on the 3rd party train but I’m wondering what the picture is like at other schools.
Edit: to answer your question, if you want to maximize your step 2 score, absolutely yes. Philisophical discussion below

Obviously, in a perfect world, we'd all just study for our in house exams, pass them, and then pass step 1. I think this was the motivation to make it P/F.

For whatever reason, that doesn't work for most people I know.

I think if I had an AnKing-style deck for my med school, that probably would work. In other words, it's not that the med school's curriculum is bad, it's that it's hard to remember everything you've ever studied without spaced repetition.

Or to put it another way, so many med students use Anki now that the bell curve has been pushed to the right, and it's harder to pass just off remembering stuff from your classes.

Also I doubt that step 1 questions were this esoteric 15 years ago. The amount of random letter/number combinations in First Aid now is insane

Last edited: