PSA for PTE & CTE Confusion (for MD Schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandman23

All Glory to Jesus
Reaction score
Sometimes, you only learn things after the fact. Ladies and gents, that's what happened to me. Here I am to give y'all folks the lowdown for next cycle & hopefully every year after. Admins, would be helpful if y'all could pin something like this or bring it up in future years. I sure know I would've wanted it

• Dropping to 3 As by Apr 15th is only a courtesy, NOT an obligation. No shame in keeping more than 3 As past that; and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This ain't time to be forced into anything
  • Dropping to 1 A by Apr 30th is an obligation. If you wanna know what'll happen, I'll tell you now: you'll get a harshly worded email setting a deadline within a week or maybe a couple
  • Neither PTE (Plan to Enroll) or CTE (Commit to Enroll) will drop these As for you
    • PTE is optional by default unless the school explicitly requires it
      • When you select PTE, you're saying that you've narrowed down to 1 A
    • CTE is required at some point - a deadline given by your school(s)
      • For a rough range, some schools could have CTE as early as May 15th (or maybe earlier, but May 15th is the earliest I've heard of - which is the case at Carle) or a couple weeks before orientation
  • Couple paraphrased excerpts from the AAMC's CYMS tool page (which is surprisingly very useful; take a read here):
    • PTE:
      • When you PTE before Apr 30th, you can continue to interview, hold acceptances, receive more acceptances & stay on any waitlists
      • Beginning Apr 30th, the only things that change about PTE are 1) PTEing at this point means you have only 1 acceptance but can be on as many waitlists as you want and 2) schools can now see one of 5 things:
        • _[can't seem to find it but there was a post on SDN that included this, would appreciate if anyone could link me to it]_
    • CTE:
      • Means you have to drop all waitlists & all but 1 A; if your school has an early CTE, keep in mind that it means you'll have to drop your WL by then
    • See attachment for what med schools can get from their reports & when

• The above does NOT apply to TMDSAS
    • Admissions staff, specifically at Long, has verified that you can stay on waitlists past CTE
      • 1) You can stay on TMDSAS waitlists past CTE
      • 2) Only exception to this is that you do have to narrow to 1 A WITHIN the TMDSAS system, meaning you can hold onto 1 A in TMDSAS and 1 A in AMCAS
        • It's part of the reason why Long doesn't show up on AMCAS's CYMS! (it all makes sense now 🤯)

P.S. AAMC terms their Apr 15th & Apr 30th dates as "traffic rules"; terminology is misleading & Apr 15th is honestly a "suggestion"

Author's note: A lotta this is paraphrased for brevity sake; if you find anything inaccurate, please lmk. I've reviewed this &, unless something has slipped through the cracks, I can verify everything here by both anecdotal experience & objective evidence. I genuinely hope the SDN community finds this helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 11.37.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 11.37.29 PM.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: 2 users