PSA: If you're a non-trad working in STEM, check whether your work has a tuition assistance program

Started by Phyline
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phyline

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got the green light from my HR that they will sponsor the A&P sequence I still need to take. I need to receive above a C (submit grades and receipts upon course completion) to get 85% of tuition paid for.

Long story short, UC Denver told me that A&P taken at a community college are NOT competitive. The courses I therefore wanted to take that ARE competitive are very conveniently online-only (through MGH IHP - with a virtual dissection module! I'm stoked.) but also $2500. Each. My PI wrote a blurb about how an anatomy sequence is highly beneficial for my work in the lab, and voila!

Hope this is useful for someone out there!
 
I used to work in policy compliance and regulatory affairs. All STEM, allied health, law, and business courses were reimbursed up to $5k/annual, double that with management approval. Every person working full time should ask their HR dep about education reimbursement AND the stipulations attached.

The catch for me was that I was obligated to stay at the company for 5 years unless they decided to early terminate me due to restructuring/etc. If not, I would have had to pay the company back at the pro-rated sum. Darn the aerospace sector!
 
Last edited: