PSU/JMC combined BA/MD guaranteed program

PMM Program

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For you high schoolers planning on applying to a combined, guaranteed BA/MD program:

As a current student in Pennsylvania State University's accelerated Premedical-Medical program, I've got some information for you.

People in this MD program go to PSU for their undergrad and matriculate to Jefferson Medical College after 2 or 3 years.

If you're truly determined to become a doctor, this program is seriously the best option out there.

http://www.science.psu.edu/premedmed/

Why go to PSU/Jeff:

-if you're for sure going into medicine, it's 6 years! 2 years of undergrad, 4 years med school
-2 years of undergrad instead of 4 saves not only time, but money
-if you are doing the 6 year option, you are required to go to ONLY the first summer to take classes, not two
-or if that's too rushed, you can choose the 7 year option! That's 3 years undergrad, 4 years med school. No summer class required.

-easy to maintain the required 3.5 GPA
-only have to score 9 or above on each section of the MCAT, which is the national average (this should not be a challenge if you are accepted to this program)

-instantly fit in with a close knit group of friends in the program, right from the start
-if you choose the 6 year option you really get to know program students well in the first summer, plus you'll know how college works; that means no bumbling around like a fool the first several weeks of college in the fall like everyone else :p
-networking, insider info, and support from older year program students

-very flexible curriculum; it might seem like it'd be really rigid and tough because it's 6 years, but it isn't at all!
-if you come in with a decent number of AP credits to get rid of general education requirements there is a LOT of space to take anything you want
-priority scheduling over everybody; you can get into any class without worrying about it being too full
-no 'freshman seminars' or annoying classes that regular college students are required to take

So if you're a current high school senior and want to apply, please note that the deadline is November 30! Also, no preference is given to instate or out of state applicants. This is becase the medical school is private.

That's all I have for now. Post a reply or PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to get it, but it seems soo tough. Any advice?

Welcome to hSDN, PMM Program :D

I would just like to remind our hSDN members that since this currently is the only joint program with an active voice on hSDN, you should be sure to research all your various options when making the decision to apply to accelerated programs. Not every program, college or medical school is right for every person, it is your job to decide what fits you. My advice is to look at as many options as possible, that way when you've got one clear winner, you can know you've made the right choice because you've seen all the alternatives and the research you did intimately familiarized you with program you ultimately selected.

That said, do take advantage of student ambassadors like PMM program wherever you go, they are a great way to get to know the details that will help you compare programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to get it, but it seems soo tough. Any advice?

For this program, the first thing the admissions committee wants to see is your 'intelligence', which is measured by SAT scores (although you can submit both, the SAT is preferred over the ACT).
Even if you can only score the minimum 2100, you certainly do have a chance, do not worry. But if you are able to score 2200+, you stand a good chance of getting in.
***New this year, they are taking into account the writing section for all applicants, so be sure to do well on that!

Grades/coursework are next important. If you are barely top 10% of your class, do not despair, this can be compensated by demonstrating advanced coursework and difficulty way above your peers. Taking Honors and especially IB/AP classes will help you a lot!

Also, IB/AP classes are not only a plus for your application but a huge bonus if you score well on the tests. Their credits are very useful if you attend.

Next important are medical extracurriculars; leadership activities are not so crucial. A big list of activities/clubs is useless. Just emphasize what you like to do.

And equally important to extracurriculars is the interview. You must have the above 3 key things in order to get an invitation to an interview. There is a student interview (this one is a bit of chit-chatting to make sure you're not psycho) and a faculty interview (prepare for this one!).

The essays and the single recommendation you must submit are, of course, taken into consideration but are really not as important as the above.

I would like to stress that SAT/Grades/Coursework is essential! I remember that during my faculty interview, I was actually asked for my SAT scores :)

So, why are the academic standards so high? This is to screen out applicants who are likely to drop out of the program (every year, typically one or zero program students withdraw for academic or other reasons). The attrition rate is very low.

Good luck!

I have a 2140, and have taken the most difficult classes. I also have 500 volunteer hours and some medical research. What do you think my chances are? Does PSU superscore SAT's?

I have a 2140, and have taken the most difficult classes. I also have 500 volunteer hours and some medical research. What do you think my chances are? Does PSU superscore SAT's?

There is no superscoring. They look at the highest score taken in one sitting. Nobody can truly predict chances of acceptance, but if you satisfy the minimum requirements I encourage you to apply with confidence. There is no harm in trying!

i'm applying and i have a couple of questions about this program
- is research an important factor compared to other medical related ecs?
- what is most emphasized in this program (like is it doing other non med activities/flexibilty, doing research, or like more patient care activties, or what)?

Just because I saw this bumped I want to give my input. Both PSU and JMC are superb programs. If you feel that you indeed want to go into medicine and have been sufficiently exposed and understand the pros and cons this program may be worth it. I would have looked at this program if I knew going into college I wanted to go into medicine. If you indeed want to take the "fast track" check this program out along with others.

I posted this somewhere else, but this is a good list of BS/MD programs all over the US. Another good list is here.

I'd also suggest looking for programs that offer a good scholarship as well. For example, the Rice/Baylor program offers about 75K. University of Houston/Baylor pays for all eight years, etc.

Good luck to everyone who applied this year!

I knew some people that did this program. It is a great program but many of the people I knew in it were miserable. It was horribly cut throat for some reason and many of my friends didn't feel like they had an instant group of friends. They actually felt isolated from the other people. Most of them dropped the program or transferred schools to have a normal college experience that did that though. Not talking trash on the program. It is great, but you do have to make extra sure that it is what you want....which is tough at the age of 17 or 18.

Hey, I don't know if I'll get a response or not, but here goes.

I have a low-ish GPA (mid 3.6 UW), but I've taken a really tough courseload, with a total of ~4 AP science classes. My SAT score will be high (~2300, I've already taken it, and it's tabulating to be around here), and I have several medical EC's. Do I stand a chance?

My school does not rank.

I got rejected from interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
For you high schoolers planning on applying to a combined, guaranteed BA/MD program:

As a current student in Pennsylvania State University's accelerated Premedical-Medical program, I've got some information for you.

People in this MD program go to PSU for their undergrad and matriculate to Jefferson Medical College after 2 or 3 years.

If you're truly determined to become a doctor, this program is seriously the best option out there.

Why go to PSU/Jeff:

-if you're for sure going into medicine, it's 6 years! 2 years of undergrad, 4 years med school
-if you are doing the 6 year option, you are required to go to ONLY the first summer to take classes, not two
-or if that's too rushed, you can choose the 7 year option! That's 3 years undergrad, 4 years med school. No summer class required.

-only have to score 9 or above on each section of the MCAT, which is the national average (this should not be a challenge if you are accepted to this program)

-instantly fit in with a close knit group of friends in the program, right from the start
-if you choose the 6 year option you really get to know program students well in the first summer, plus you'll know how college works; that means no bumbling around like a fool the first several weeks of college in the fall like everyone else :p

-very flexible curriculum; it might seem like it'd be really rigid and tough because it's 6 years, but it isn't at all!
-if you come in with a decent number of AP credits to get rid of general education requirements there is a LOT of space to take anything you want
-priority scheduling over everybody; you can get into any class without worrying about it being too full
-no 'freshman seminars' or annoying classes that regular college students are required to take

So if you're a current high school senior and want to apply, please note that the deadline is November 30! Also, no preference is given to instate or out of state applicants. This is becase the medical school is private.

I went to PSU and was interested in this. That 3.5 is NOT easy to maintain. Work hard from the beginning. Jeff is a great med school... best in philly.

Hey, I don't know if I'll get a response or not, but here goes.

I have a low-ish GPA (mid 3.6 UW), but I've taken a really tough courseload, with a total of ~4 AP science classes. My SAT score will be high (~2300, I've already taken it, and it's tabulating to be around here), and I have several medical EC's. Do I stand a chance?

My school does not rank.

?

Is this for PA residents only??

Is this for PA residents only??

No, the OP said that it is for both residents and non-residents and also said that there was no preference given to residents.

I'm interested in applying to the Penn State combined medical degree program and I read that you said the SAT is super important... If i score well enough on my ACT, such as a 32, should I still take the SAT?

Decisions were mailed out -- congratulations to those accepted!

I believe there is a weekend visit (typically sometime in April) for accepted applicants to spend a couple days at Penn State to learn more about the program from other PMM students. I encourage you to attend and be more informed with your options (it's similar to a Second Look sort of thing that some medical schools offer to prospective students).

Best of luck with your college choices!

Does anyone have the acceptance rates for the class that just heard back from PMM?

isn't the average an 8 in each section?

Hi all

One thing I really want to stress about this program is, like the original poster stated, the courseload is a lot more flexible than you might think for an accelerated program. While you're here, there are plenty of opportunities to explore your interests and take up new hobbies. Many people here are actively involved in many of Penn State's organizations and a couple of my friends even started their own club. Basically, you can kind of take advantage of the fact that you've been "accepted" to medical school already and live it up.

That being said, you shouldn't let your grades fall because those are obviously important as well.

My advice to those accepted is, definitely take classes that excite and appeal to you...maybe stuff like Acting, Anthropology, Psychology, Film, Astronomy...there are many to choose from.

@ PPM Program
How many applicants are selected to interview?
Is an interview a sign of, shall we say, "foot in the door"?
For the PPM interview, is it just another "college interview", used just to make sure you're not completely psycho, want this, and to see if you have good communication skills?
What's emphasized during the interview?
Should anything be prepared?

it is a solid program. I went to PSU for undergrad as well. That being said, don't feel like you are pigeonholed into it. I know quite a few people that had a miserable college experience with the program. One girl even dropped out of college for a year all together while another changed to pre-law. If you want the standard college experience then just follow the normal path. If you want to be streamlined through medical school then it is great. I personally find my experiences and extra time valuable, but that is a personal deal. I lacked the academic maturity to complete such a program back then.

When do decisions come out?
Via mail? online external link sent via email? via email?

If I could go back in time and smack my 16/17 year old self around, I would have done this program. Good luck, guys!

They already came out.
They decided on March 18th.

My decision:
Accepted.

how is the interview and has anything changed since for the PMM program

@EncyeChick
what were your stats (SAT/GPA) and extracuriculars

Why go to PSU/Jeff:

If I have a near solid GPA (only 3 B's all in Grade 10), along with lots of research (patents mainly), and strong ExtraCurrics, do I stand a chance? This is literally my dream program.