PSV mode and Large TVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoMoGesiologist

What is dead may never die
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s not infrequently I’ll switch someone to PSV and they are taking huge TVs no matter what level of support is set. Is this injurious? Or is it, the patient will take whatever size breath he wants since it’s PSV so leave it alone. Is anyone increasing the flow cycling criteria to give a shorter breath and less TV?

I’m concerned when TVs are >8/kg IBW or maybe the patients diaphragm is really pulling hard and generating large transpulmonary pressures and I’m just seeing small pressure numbers on the vent and not recognizing the lung injury.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the smart people here...

Members don't see this ad.

Why not set the PS down to Zero and see what happens. If the patient is taking large TV by themselves with zero PS I don’t worry about it. Because what can I do about it?
I have never seen where negative pressure breaths cause any of the lung injury we worry about in positive pressure. Natural shift in atmospheric pressure versus intrathoracic/alveolar pressure cause you to expire and not injure yourself.

Put them on Spontaneous/No PS with tube comp.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not infrequently I’ll switch someone to PSV and they are taking huge TVs no matter what level of support is set. Is this injurious? Or is it, the patient will take whatever size breath he wants since it’s PSV so leave it alone. Is anyone increasing the flow cycling criteria to give a shorter breath and less TV?

I’m concerned when TVs are >8/kg IBW or maybe the patients diaphragm is really pulling hard and generating large transpulmonary pressures and I’m just seeing small pressure numbers on the vent and not recognizing the lung injury.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the smart people here...

It’s probably actually fine but/and in these situations I tend to turn down the support so that the volumes are not stupid high but the patient still seems comfortable and vent compliant.

Is VILI caused by volumes, pressures, or unnaturally opening closed small airways and alveoli?? Want to see a knife fight? Get all of the main published proponents of each in a room and don’t forget the popcorn.

Sleep docs put patients on bipap all the time and there is no association with lung injury. What you are talking about is basically (but not exactly) bipap through an ET tube

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I’ll turn PSV down to 0-5 and patients are still pulling 500-1000ml. They pull what they want regardless of what I set. Also, I don’t like PSV zero as I feel they need something for tube comp. I don’t want them to struggle to get air.

I see what you’re all saying, there’s not much to do. Hopefully it isn’t lung injurious. I liked the bipap analogy. Thanks for the thoughts!

Sometimes I’ll turn PSV down to 0-5 and patients are still pulling 500-1000ml. They pull what they want regardless of what I set. Also, I don’t like PSV zero as I feel they need something for tube comp. I don’t want them to struggle to get air.

I see what you’re all saying, there’s not much to do. Hopefully it isn’t lung injurious. I liked the bipap analogy. Thanks for the thoughts!
The machines in my fellowship, which I see in lots of hospitals, have Tube Comp available.

Turn off the support. What’s the tidal volume? 900 ml, and the patient looks comfortable? Great. Why? Because it’s negative pressure. The ARDSnet rules were invented/experimented on PPV cases, not NPV, and they forgot to tell Mother Nature. The human body is not a machine, and usually does everything better than doctors and our stupid protocols. As you’ve correctly noticed, the pressures are very low, suggesting that there will be no lung trauma.

Does the patient need PSV? Maybe yes, maybe no. It’s there just to reduce respiratory work. So 3-5 should probably be fine, even more. I doubt a PIP of 10-12 induces lung injury (again, look at the NIPPV settings for OSA).

Does the patient need PEEP? That’s also debatable. Yes it should reduce wall stress, but humans don’t have PEEP during their normal NPV, unless they purse their lips to compensate for their COPD. So I wouldn’t use PEEP unless the patient has an indication for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Is this someone in whom I have concern for active VILI / Mild ARDS? Then no I don't tend to let them ride with those high tidal volumes, out of concern that we are going to lead to further damage. Plenty of confounders may cause the. To have that profound inspiration effort. Those are the patients that I would rather put down, switch to an assist control mode, and put them quietly to sleep.

On the other hands, someone who does not requiring ultra lung protective stragety but who otherwise I would need to snow for vent compliance vs just let them ride comfortably on PSV - I'm all for the psv. As someone smarter than me mentioned previously, at that point it basically ends up the patient generating tremendous negative pressure inspiration

Extubate.

Done!

1469456142683-6OKBOYQVZPDTOUZACURP

Reactions: 1 user
It's silly but there's something called SILI , and some studies show it may be more about the transpulmonary pressures, not the airway driving pressure, that seems to contribute to lung injury. That along with PEEP and respiratory rate, but probably to a lesser degree.

Reactions: 1 user
It's silly but there's something called SILI , and some studies show it may be more about the transpulmonary pressures, not the airway driving pressure, that seems to contribute to lung injury. That along with PEEP and respiratory rate, but probably to a lesser degree.

I think there is some possibility / element of self-injury with excessive volumes coupled with high rates, although the evidence is in animal models. That being said, there is generally a reason why a patient is sucking a liter per breath, and many times it needs to be addressed. So, here is my stepwise algorithm for the OP, and it has served me pretty well so far:

1) Does the patient have a pathological reason to need a massive minute ventilation? The most common example would be severe metabolic acidosis that needs respiratory compensation. If yes, then I generally use PSV and let the patient have high tidal volumes and rates. Trying to control tidal volumes in these people may give you a dead patient since you can rarely match their minute ventilation with rate during ACV or SIMV, and there is very little pH room in patients who already have alien blood. Those high tidal volumes for a few hours while you address the acidosis are a necessary evil. If the RASS is creeping above 1, then I use ketamine or non-bolus dexmedetomidine to provide mild anxiolysis and analgesia without depressing their respiratory status. However, a pH of 6.8 is often more than enough sedation. You can proceed to steps 2 and 3 below if they don’t improve once the pH is above 7.2.

2) Is there a painful process that needs to be address? Sometimes it’s obvious like the linebacker orthopedist tugging on a fracture; other times much less so. For example, a massively swollen tongue pictured above being pinched by an ET tube against teeth probably hurts like a motherf**er. Thus, I generally start with a “opiate-first” strategy in all these patients even if I don’t see an obvious source for severe pain. It doesn’t need to be fancy but it needs to be meaningful, so I use a real dose of fentanyl (1-2 mcg/kg), morphine (0.1 mg/kg), or dilaudid (1-2 mg) and see how they respond.

3) Is there an agitation or anxiety issue that needs to be addressed? Is this large tidal volume associated with a high RASS? My “go to” these days is dexmedetomidine (yes, I’m aware of SPICE 3) without a bolus, but I’m not opposed to Propofol, ketamine, haldol, etc. Having said that, if we are getting to the 5 and 6 hour point on real doses of dex plus an opiate and the patient is taking massive volumes at a high rate, then I generally switch over to propofol at high doses and put the patient on PRVC or ACV. This is so I can gather my thoughts on what I might be missing and start slowly weaning the sedation to see if the patient wakes up without those massive volumes. Going back to the angioedema tongue guy above, put him down deep with propofol and ACV for for 24-48 hours while the swelling improves, then wake him up and extubate - far preferable to chasing your tail with PSV if he is not tolerating it. Having said that, the vast majority can be addressed at step 1, 2, or early 3.

I hope this helps and Happy New Year everyone.

Last edited:
What I do usually depends on why the patient is taking large TV.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone with acutely sick lungs do this. I do think there is harm (probably), but the question becomes whether or not the (potential) harms of the large tidal volumes in this patient is greater than the real harms of deep sedation. I’ll routinely less my COPDers pull near a liter when that’s what they do on a pressure of 0.

I can’t say I don’t and won’t sedate to reduce tidal volumes, but the people who I’m worried about their lungs and strictly need limited tidal volumes and drive pressures, etc (generally) aren’t the same people who want to take a 1L TV.