PhD/PsyD Psy.D in australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@Wonderwoman

Reaction score
which are the best universities in australia that offer Psy.D in clinical psychology, Has anyone heard of james-cook university? is it good?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll definitely want to check on the process through the Australian psych association's site. There is a huge difference in training needed, as you can practice much of psychology with a doctorate there. I believe they have a multi-tiered system and some post-graduate certificate programs. You won't find much here though as to my knowledge, we have no Australian psychologist posters. Pretty much a US dominated board.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll definitely want to check on the process through the Australian psych association's site. There is a huge difference in training needed, as you can practice much of psychology with a doctorate there. I believe they have a multi-tiered system and some post-graduate certificate programs. You won't find much here though as to my knowledge, we have no Australian psychologist posters. Pretty much a US dominated board.

i have gone through so many threads under Psy.D unfortunately australia wasn't mentioned anywhere.

i have kept few options though such as baylor university/ wright state university/Indiana State University.

If you are going to practice in Australia, I would definitely not go to a PsyD here in the US. Portability is a huge issue.

I know,
apart from this,
I am fairly new to SDN so just learning more about it but, i was wondering why wright state university is criticised so much? is it really that bad when it comes to doctoral programs?

To clarify, the Wright Institute in California is the one that is often criticized. The reason for that can be seen in their student outcomes data, which show that between 41% and 84% of their students placed in APA-accredited internships in the past five years. This is unacceptably low, especially given their tuition and lack of funding opportunities. Also, for a program that purports to produce clinicians, only 72% of graduates were licensed in the past 10 years.

Wright State University has better outcomes, which you can find here, showing that between 81% and 100% of their students placed in APA-accredited internships in the past five years. In the past 10 years, 87% of their students attained licensure.

Reactions: 1 users
Wright State University has better outcomes, which you can find here, showing that between 81% and 100% of their students placed in APA-accredited internships in the past five years. In the past 10 years, 87% of their students attained licensure.

Yeah, Wright State has a decent accredited match rate, but I'm still concerned about that sky high tuition and recent VERY LOW EPPP pass rate.

I was talking about Ohio -Dayton one so i guess yes the one you provided details of, i was considering that

i was wondering why wright state university is criticised so much? is it really that bad when it comes to doctoral programs?

If you're referring to the Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA, it's one of the not-terrible psyd options (along with PGSP Stanford) in the sf bay area. Wright has a decent overall match rate, however it's APA rate is not as good. It's generally well regarded in the bay, and is a much better option than the many other psyds in northern ca.

However, I advise my own students to aim for a program which is better than not-terrible. Debt at Wright will likely be quite high, cohorts are large, and competition for internship/postdoc/jobs in the bay is fierce. Given that -- I do know several Wright grads who are doing well. I think Pepperdine, in southern ca, is the strongest psyd in CA.

If you haven't yet, definitely look at this page and the match stats for any program you're considering.

https://www.appic.org/Portals/0/downloads/APPIC Match Rates 2011-16 by Univ.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're referring to the Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA, it's one of the not-terrible psyd options (along with PGSP Stanford) in the sf bay area. Wright has a decent overall match rate, however it's APA rate is not as good. It's generally well regarded in the bay, and is a much better option than the many other psyds in northern ca.

However, I advise my own students to aim for a program which is better than not-terrible. Debt at Wright will likely be quite high, cohorts are large, and competition for internship/postdoc/jobs in the bay is fierce. Given that -- I do know several Wright grads who are doing well. I think Pepperdine, in southern ca, is the strongest psyd in CA.

If you haven't yet, definitely look at this page and the match stats for any program you're considering.
/QUOTE]

Thank you for the links :) i was talking about Ohio one.

May I ask why you are only looking at mostly unfunded PsyDs? Also, are you more interested in practicing in the US or Australia? As someone else said above, the portability of a psychology degree can be very difficult when it comes to being licensed in foreign countries.

May I ask why you are only looking at mostly unfunded PsyDs? Also, are you more interested in practicing in the US or Australia? As someone else said above, the portability of a psychology degree can be very difficult when it comes to being licensed in foreign countries.

There are hardly any universities that fund PsyD. except few like Baylor which i have already mentioned.

There are hardly any universities that fund PsyD. except few like Baylor which i have already mentioned.
You don't need to earn a PsyD to become a practicing clinician. Most people who earn PhDs become clinicians. So-called "balanced" PhD programs that place equal emphases on research and clinical training will allow you to learn about research so you can recognize what treatments are efficacious and which aren't while also gaining clinical experience. They'd also be more likely to be funded than PsyD programs.

There are a few that are housed in larger universities: Baylor and Rutgers definitely being the top two. Is there any specific reason you are only focusing on PsyDs and not looking at balanced PhD programs as well?

You don't need to earn a PsyD to become a practicing clinician. Most people who earn PhDs become clinicians. So-called "balanced" PhD programs that place equal emphases on research and clinical training will allow you to learn about research so you can recognize what treatments are efficacious and which aren't while also gaining clinical experience. They'd also be more likely to be funded than PsyD programs.

is it okay if i ask why Ph.D programs are funded but not PsyD.

The PsyD is effectively a professional degree. The situation is similar to how there aren't many funding opportunities for JD and MD programs.

Funding usually comes from research grants. Therefore, PhD programs and some PsyDs in large universities can provide funding for their students. Also, these institutions are non-profit. Stand alone PsyD professional schools are usually for-profit and take more students per semester, and they typically don't have the need for RAs and TAs, which is usually how students get funded.

There are a few that are housed in larger universities: Baylor and Rutgers definitely being the top two. Is there any specific reason you are only focusing on PsyDs and not looking at balanced PhD programs as well?

yes, i have kept my options open for both, and i am well aware that some universities fully fund Ph.D but I would say in my majors i did not have a good experience in research area. i think that scares me, plus whomever i have talked to, have informed me that even though Psy.D will have a bit of research most will be focused on clinical training.

I am still learning about both so i might make mistakes while mentioning certain things sorry about that :)

yes, i have kept my options open for both, and i am well aware that some universities fully fund Ph.D but I would say in my majors i did not have a good experience in research area. i think that scares me, plus whomever i have talked to, have informed me that even though Psy.D will have a bit of research most will be focused on clinical training.

The reputable Psyds and balanced PhDs will be about the same in research focus and involvement.

I am still learning about both so i might make mistakes while mentioning certain things sorry about that :)
Research is an indispensable part of doctoral training in clinical psychology. It's not a coincidence that the programs that basically pay lip-service to research are also those with poor funding and horrible outcomes.