Psy.D in US for International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychlives

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

Well i really appreciate this forum.. m new here.. hope my doubts aren't repetitive. I did not get time to go through all threads.. I would like
to know (as the title says) PsyD for International Students?.. I am very impressed with the psy.D curriculum n faculty in some of the universities..

I am in the process of shortlisting universities, as m planning to apply for the 2011 batch. m a little anxious about the whole process of selecting the rite university?!!!

Since m new here i wud like to tell u in brief about my interests n work.. m a trained clinical psychologist (MPhil course as we call it here) from a reputed institute in India. I have had 2.5 years of clinical experience n 3 years of research experience (currently working as senior research fellow) n 1.5 years of Teaching experience.

I am very fascinated about the Psy.D course since i see myself as a practitioner especially in the area of Child n adolescent mental health.

I would like to know from the students or any faculty of Psy.D programs - about top universities currently, course requirements as an international student n probably i wud say a very realistic perspective regarding admissions for International students like me- wat do u think r the stands wen it comes to admission??

m sorry if the the thread is repetitive. Thank You:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an American student, so I don't have first hand experience with this, but the following are my general impressions. You will need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and obtain a good score. Usually a score of 1200 or above is a good marker, scoring at 600 or above on both the quantitative and verbal portions of the exam. In addition, I believe you will also need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).

Considering you have a background in psych, I doubt you would have to take courses in preparation for graduate work in America. In general students are expected to have classes in intro to psych, abnormal psych, statistics, research methods, and maybe a few other courses like personality or biological psychology. I would assume that these things were already covered in your coursework.

hi ..thank you for the reply.. I know it was very silly ques after all these threads on Psy.D. M Sorry.

I will be more specific . I was going through Florida Tech and Hartford university.. found them both interesting for Psy .D as per my choice of concentration areas.

students studyin there.. how is the course? n information about financial aid.. would be of great help.. thank you