Psy D personal statement and mentioning prof I'm interested in

Started by melon1129
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

melon1129

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I just have a few questions abt a Psy D personal statement...I know for Ph D programs you need to make sure the prof is taking new students which is not really the case for Psy D programs...So, would mentioning the prof I'm interested in working with help my statement (for a Psy D program) or not? Also, would it be bad if I mentioned I'm interested in more than one prof??

Thanks 😀
 
Hi. To answer your questions: no and no.

Because Psyd programs usually do not follow a strict mentor model it isn't essential that you mention precisely the prof or research area you want. However, most Psyd programs will appreciate if you mention your areas of clinical or research interest and perhaps mention a prof (or two) that you'd be especially interested in working with. It will help the programs assess if you're a good fit for them. My only caution is that for Psyd programs you should not restrict yourself to just mentioning one prof or research area. And make sure you relate whatever research interests you have to clinical practice, since the Psyd is geared towards that.

Hope this is helpful.