Psy.D. - The Wright Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can’t speak to the program itself, or its reputation OUTSIDE of the region it is located in, but people who graduate from the Wright Institute are employed in different settings in the area and don’t seem to be blacklisted the way it’s portrayed on here, at least not in California from what I’ve seen. I know a grad who has a great set-up in an assessment/forensic practice position with a mentor and this person makes over $100k/year and has a steady stream of referrals. Having said that, this graduate went to a very prestigious school prior for a different career and this marked a career change, so the person is very intelligent and motivated.

I can’t speak to how the program is viewed outside of California, but PsyD graduates from professional schools are employed in several settings in California, from what I’ve seen. I have no idea about the actual quality of the program, however, and of course, it is very expensive and the Bay Area is also one of the most expensive places to live in the country, so it is crucial to consider the debt and training quality when choosing a school. For those with fewer financial means, this kind of debt will be life changing—in a bad way. We’ve seen some examples in threads here of how heavy debt burdens can affect marriage timing, buying a home, saving for retirement, and even having a reasonable standard of living post-licensure. It shouldn’t be taken lightly in the decision-making process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can’t speak to the program itself, or its reputation OUTSIDE of the region it is located in, but people who graduate from the Wright Institute are employed in different settings in the area and don’t seem to be blacklisted the way it’s portrayed on here, at least not in California from what I’ve seen. I know a grad who has a great set-up in an assessment/forensic practice position with a mentor and this person makes over $100k/year and has a steady stream of referrals. Having said that, this graduate went to a very prestigious school prior for a different career and this marked a career change, so the person is very intelligent and motivated.

I can’t speak to how the program is viewed outside of California, but PsyD graduates from professional schools are employed in several settings in California, from what I’ve seen. I have no idea about the actual quality of the program, however, and of course, it is very expensive and the Bay Area is also one of the most expensive places to live in the country, so it is crucial to consider the debt and training quality when choosing a school. For those with fewer financial means, this kind of debt will be life changing—in a bad way. We’ve seen some examples in threads here of how heavy debt burdens can affect marriage timing, buying a home, saving for retirement, and even having a reasonable standard of living post-licensure. It shouldn’t be taken lightly in the decision-making process.

So, is the reputation good or is it more meh in CA? I mean we rag on a lot of programs, but the truth is that many people graduate and get jobs from these programs. GOOD jobs can be a different story. Psychology at this point often feels like the field of law. A few all stars making good money (some great) and a lot of people making okay money with large debt.

As an aside, $100k for forensics in CA seems like a crappy deal. I make that kind of money with a much lower cost of living and no one has tried to shiv me recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is the reputation good or is it more meh in CA? I mean we rag on a lot of programs, but the truth is that many people graduate and get jobs from these programs. GOOD jobs can be a different story. Psychology at this point often feels like the field of law. A few all stars making good money (some great) and a lot of people making okay money with large debt.

As an aside, $100k for forensics in CA seems like a crappy deal. I make that kind of money with a much lower cost of living and no one has tried to shiv me recently.

I've lived in the area for some years now, and I think the reputation is okay to fine range in the general professional world. I've seen PsyDs in administrative roles in organizations, so I don't think it is a problem, at the very least. I think it might matter more in particular niches, perhaps, but I am not part of those niches so I wouldn't be able to speak to that. As you mention, it's possible that it's a "meh" in some places, but I'm not an employer, so I would like to hear from employers in California, if we have any here.

I think the colleague I know from the Wright actually does mostly standard assessment (ADHD, LD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, etc.) and not forensic, for the most part; this is an early career position, so the salary will continue to grow. For an ECP generally, this would be considered a good salary, but yes, it depends on the specialty. ECP generalists in my area tend to start out well below $100K but it depends on the job position & employer.

Last edited:
I've lived in the area for some years now, and I think the reputation is okay to fine range in the general professional world. I've seen PsyDs in administrative roles in organizations, so I don't think it is a problem, at the very least. I think it might matter more in particular niches, perhaps, but I am not part of those niches so I wouldn't be able to speak to that. As you mention, it's possible that it's a "meh" in some places, but I'm not an employer, so I would like to hear from employers in California, if we have any here.

I think the colleague I know from the Wright actually does mostly standard assessment (ADHD, LD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, etc.) and not forensic, for the most part; this is an early career position, so the salary will continue to grow. For an ECP generally, this would be considered a good salary, but yes, it depends on the specialty. ECP generalists in my area tend to start out well below $100K but it depends on the job position & employer.
California has a lot of really bad professional schools, in part because our licensing rules are relatively lax (you don't even have to go to an APA-accredited program, though obviously there are extra hoops). I know people who went to Wright, and it appears that the training is definitely much stronger than Alliant / Argosy / Chicago School, but it is highly variable. It's kind of the cleanest shirt in the dirty laundry pile, so long as you don't put PAU in the same pile - that school is better. Debt loads are utterly crushing for either, though. I'm not sure there is any school in California I would have wanted to attend... maybe UCSB? They don't have forensics though. The majority of funded programs here are clinical scientist (UCLA, Berkeley, etc) and the other options will destroy your finances for decades, if not the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this still hold true? In the past 4 years theyve had good match rates, with last year being 87%.

I think they changed their expectation in 2015ish that all students participate in APPIC, and before that was not the case. I am not sure, I’m not that familiar with Wright.

I would imagine that they still draw in a student body different than funded/traditional programs (older, established careers, not willing to move); that will continue to keep APA internship match rate below 100%. The only way programs like Wright hit 100% match rate is to begin rejecting these applicants from the outset. Personally, I’m glad that some programs continue to train less traditional students (including those with geographic restrictions).

In my view, the problem is the existence of schools like Wright. They graduate too many people with degrees that are worth a lot less than those from more traditional programs, and they will admit almost anyone. The net result is a huge pool of horribly indebted students who will work for very low salaries, which hurts the entire profession financially. I don't see why we tolerate the existence of such schools; the physicians certainly don't, and we shouldn't either. Not everyone can or should be a physician or a psychologist.

Reactions: 7 users
They don't? Hashtag: Caribbean good times

Yes, but the AMA is slowly crushing that pathway due to tight control of residency positions. I know people that attempted this method in recent years to end up with either no residency or a very undesirable option. There is no CAPIC for Caribbean schools that I am aware of currently.