Psych adjacent research opportunity

Started by kdog024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdog024

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a first-year medical student that is interested in psychiatry and was looking to get involved in some research over the summer before the second year. I have the opportunity to get involved in a lab that does psych adjacent research that focuses on brain structures of different mammals compared to people, however, it is not directly psych related. I was wondering if psychiatry residencies care if the research does not exactly fall within the field of psych, or if any research is pretty much the same to them. Apologies if this is a dumb question.
 
That's fine; you could probably say something along the lines that mouse/rat models are often used as animal models of psychiatric disease, so understanding the differences among these brains can help us predict how findings within certain animal models will translate to human psychopathology.
 
I am a first-year medical student that is interested in psychiatry and was looking to get involved in some research over the summer before the second year. I have the opportunity to get involved in a lab that does psych adjacent research that focuses on brain structures of different mammals compared to people, however, it is not directly psych related. I was wondering if psychiatry residencies care if the research does not exactly fall within the field of psych, or if any research is pretty much the same to them. Apologies if this is a dumb question.
Sounds cool to me, kdog my fellow mammal