Psych Assessments/Questionnaires

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPhysician

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a comprehensive book of psych assessments/questionnaires out there? How do offices get copies of the WISC, MoCA, MMSE, as well as any other assessment/questionnaire? Are they all purchased individually? A google search just gave me a bunch of books that help me evaluate the assessments/questionnaires after I have the results......but no luck on getting me the assessments.

Is there also a cumulative list somewhere of ALL psych assessments/questionnaires used?

Say I want to test for just impulsivity? vulnerability? etc. or follow certain emotions long-term using a questionnaire......

I'm hoping there is a large book of questionnaires/assessments out there.

Members don't see this ad.

The Mental Measurements Yearbook is an encyclopedia of sorts of all published psychological tests. For neuropsychological tests, there is also the Compedium of Neuropsychological Tests, by Spreen and Struass.

To actually obtain copyrighted psychological/neuropsychological tests such as MMPI. WAIS-IV/WISC-IV WMS, DKEFS, CVLT, etc one must purchase them individually from Pearson, or whoever the publisher is for the test in question. Generally, they are only able to purchased by licenesed psychologists. The price is hefty too, over 1k for the WAIS-IV alone. Response forms are also purshased seperately from the publisher and they cost money too. I have never run into a physician who has the time or patience (not to mention the training) to give most of these instruments, so you would need to reffer to a psychologist or neuropsychologist if you want a IQ or formal psychometric psychologicical/neuropsychological assessment.

Things like the Mini mental State Exam (MMSE), State-Trait Anxiety Scale and other short screeners are often used by physicians and are not copyrighted and are widely available for free. Other free ones include The Beck Depression Inventory (BDI-II), and Jerry Yesavage's Geratric Depression Scale (GDS). There are no norms, just cutpoints fro the bdi and gds.

A good clincial interview should flush out impulsivity pretty well, but if you want to quantify it I would recommend Eysenck Impuslivity Questionaire (EIQ). To follow emotions long term and to track improvments or declines in emotion fucntioning during psychotherapy, you might want to use the Outcome Questionaire-45 (OQ-45) or Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS). I don't think they are copyrighted.

Last edited:
For things like the Beck Depression Scale, MMSE, Anxiety Scale, etc., do people just constantly print them off the computer or is there a big containing frequently used screening tools/questionnaires?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Mental Measurements Yearbook has all published psychological tests, including the beck and state-trait. However, they only have the description of those tests so you can learn about them, as the beck and state-trait are actually copyrighted. I wasnt aware of that...I guess cause we always use copies of the forms and we already purshed the manual years ago. The cost is $75 which includes the manual and 25 record forms. Additional forms are $40 for 25 or $145 for 100 for the beck. Contact Harcourt Assessments. Slightly cheaper for the state-trait. http://www3.parinc.com/products/product.aspx?Productid=STAI

Here is a link to the GDS
http://www.stanford.edu/~yesavage/GDS.english.long.html

Here is a link to the MMSE
http://utswfm.googlepages.com/NH_MMSE.pdf

Here is alink to the OQ-45 and an attachment for the scoring and cutpoints
http://spinner.cofc.edu/~oap/stuaffairs/csbs/Counseling%20&%20Substance%20Abuse%20DCRpt/CASASOutcomeQuestionnairev452.pdf?referrer=webcluster&

These books are incredibly handy for measures of anxiety and depression:

http://www.amazon.com/Practitioners...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258940250&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Practitioners...-Assessment/dp/030646246X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

They provide sample copies of measures that are in the public domain. The BDI and BDI-II are copyrighted, and are supposed to be purchased. The reality is that most people just photocopy pre-existing copies, BUT I have heard stories about publishers combing through the literature to see if people are publishing with measures that they have not purchased. So photocopier beware... ;)

The Compedium of Neuropsychological Tests, by Spreen and Struass is overkill for what you need, but it has a great list of available assessments out there (descriptions, review of some norms, etc).

As erg923 pointed out, you will be unable to purchase any of the assessments because you aren't a licensed psychologist, though you can get access to a range of screeners that when combined with a good H&P should give you enough information to know if you need a psych consult.

As for copying materials.....definitely beware. If any medical records (which include test data) are released for a court case, that is something that will not be looked upon favorably. People have also gotten in trouble in the past for copying materials used in their research.

It will behoove you to have access to a good psychologist who can cover the bases ethically, particularly for more volatile cases, as those are the ones you want to have properly documented.

The Compedium of Neuropsychological Tests, by Spreen and Struass is overkill for what you need, but it has a great list of available assessments out there (descriptions, review of some norms, etc).

As erg923 pointed out, you will be unable to purchase any of the assessments because you aren't a licensed psychologist, though you can get access to a range of screeners that when combined with a good H&P should give you enough information to know if you need a psych consult.

As for copying materials.....definitely beware. If any medical records (which include test data) are released for a court case, that is something that will not be looked upon favorably. People have also gotten in trouble in the past for copying materials used in their research.

It will behoove you to have access to a good psychologist who can cover the bases ethically, particularly for more volatile cases, as those are the ones you want to have properly documented.

True. I shouldn't have used the word assessment I guess. I don't ever plan to implement a detailed assessment myself.

I am looking more on the lines of general screening tools or simple questionnaires.

I've seen psych patients fill out questionnaires (anxiety, depression, etc.) if nothing else but to allow patients to visualize their progress.

In my opinion, if it takes more than 10-15 minutes, I'll leave it to the psychologist.

I am looking more on the lines of general screening tools or simple questionnaires.

I'm not sure if there is an inclusive screener, though a decent H&P should give you an idea if there are any issues. Screeners are useful if anything pop up during an H&P, and they can provide some objective data that will be useful for a referral and/or additional information for you.

Depression: BDI-II, GDS (free), PHQ-9 (free?)
Anxiety: BAI
PTSD: PCL (free)
Alcohol: AUDIT (free)
Memory: MMSE (free?), or the SLUMS (free).

Last edited: