Psych B.S. to PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soldierscholar8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to graduate and have come to a bit of a cross road. I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in psychology and, for years, have considered something potentially in the pre-health field (due to the greying of the baby boomers)as a potential alternative to Psych grad school. So since the Army was paying for it I took the several pre-reqs required by most pre-health majors and have thought about applying to PT school after I take my G.R.E.s as well as a Psych grad school.
My question is this: Has anybody heard of someone making it into and through PT school with a psych B.S. ?I've looked on a specific PT school's website and they don't specify a B.S. but do recommend that all who apply have the same pre-req completed + observational time+GRE scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Soldier,

Psych. is considered a very appropriate major for PT and OT students. I'm currently applying to OT programs, and my major is General Studies with a focus in Behavioral & Social Science (mainly Psych). I know at my undergrad school, which is Indiana University, most Pre-PT/Pre-OT students choose either Psych, Soc, or Biology as their undergrad majors. As long as you have taken the required pre-reqs for the schools you intend to apply to, your undergrad major really doesn't matter. They usually encourage you to pursue a major you are interested in, rather than a science-specific one (unless of course you are interested in science and WANT to major in it). A lot of applicants major in Biology or other science fields because they think that's what the adcoms want. In reality, they want you to major in something interesting to you so that you will do well in undergrad.

Hope this helps!

It definately does. I've heard the same thing about doing what you like and the fact that PT schools are interested in a diversity(degree wise). I was hesitant for a while because all the applicants I know of where doing the AT to PT or some health B.S. to PT and I didn't know how I'd stack up. hmm....Food for thought

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, I don't know your stats (GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc.), but being a Psych major will certainly not HURT you in the application process. In fact, it might help you because adcoms will know that you've chosen a major that is interesting to you and one that provides insight into how people think. My good friend was accepted to PT school and she was an English major. The adcom told her that they liked the creativity that English, especially writing, can help you express. I think you will be fine, provided your other stats are good.

I was on the Creighton P.T. admissions committee 6 years ago. Being a psych major won't help, but really won't hurt if you have the course pre-reqs. and do well with your other requirements (G.P.A., observ. hours, GRE).

I went to PT school with a sociology degree. You're fine with a psych degree as long as you have the prereqs, etc. I personally think having a psych degree would be very beneficial in the therapy world since you get to be the psychologist with the patient for 3+ days a week x indefinite weeks/months. However, I think it really comes down to your numbers, prereqs, interview, and not so much your degree, so long as you have one. There were people in my class and the one above me who were psych, AT, exercise phys, biology, pre-PT degrees, and there was even an ex CIA member, but I don't know what his major was. Good luck.

My brother went to PT school with a degree in psychology. As I remember his stats were pretty low (below a 3.0, and a pretty bad GRE score). He was very successful in his program and has been working as a D.P.T. for the past 2 years. So yes, it's totally possible. Good luck!

I'm about to graduate and have come to a bit of a cross road. I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in psychology and, for years, have considered something potentially in the pre-health field (due to the greying of the baby boomers)as a potential alternative to Psych grad school. So since the Army was paying for it I took the several pre-reqs required by most pre-health majors and have thought about applying to PT school after I take my G.R.E.s as well as a Psych grad school.
My question is this: Has anybody heard of someone making it into and through PT school with a psych B.S. ?I've looked on a specific PT school's website and they don't specify a B.S. but do recommend that all who apply have the same pre-req completed + observational time+GRE scores.

Why not PhD in clinical Psych?

He indicates in the original post that he is considering Psych grad school as well as PT. He's just exploring options.