Psych Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey all! Applying this cycle and want to know if it’s even reasonable for me to apply to psych since it seems it has been more competitive to match into over the past 5 years. I’m a USIMG 207 step 1 and pending step2ck. Have 1 publication (first author), a good handful of volunteer experiences and have psych LORs. Do you think I have a chance?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! Applying this cycle and want to know if it’s even reasonable for me to apply to psych since it seems it has been more competitive to match into over the past 5 years. I’m a USIMG 207 step 1 and pending step2ck. Have 1 publication (first author), a good handful of volunteer experiences and have psych LORs. Do you think I have a chance?

Thanks everyone!
def have a chance! I would look at the stats though just to have an idea of where you stand in terms of getting interviews and matching based on scores/# ranked programs/etc. I'm also apply Psych, so I know what it's like to wonder about your chances.
The challenge is getting an interview. Once you do, it's more about making a great impression on the interview, being a good fit for the program, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the option to take Step 1 in 2021 while it’s still scored numerically, or in 2022 when it’s P/F. I’ve heard that psych is more about fit than board scores anyway. Better to wait and take Step 1 during 3rd year? I feel like I’ll be under less pressure to score high on Step 2 as well. Interested in PNW, Midwest, Southwest, and South-Central academic programs if that affects the calculus at all.

I have the option to take Step 1 in 2021 while it’s still scored numerically, or in 2022 when it’s P/F. I’ve heard that psych is more about fit than board scores anyway. Better to wait and take Step 1 during 3rd year? I feel like I’ll be under less pressure to score high on Step 2 as well. Interested in PNW, Midwest, Southwest, and South-Central academic programs if that affects the calculus at all.
It depends if you think you can do well on Step 1. A good step 1 score could help you and possible offset a low Step 2 CK score just in case you get a low step 2 ck score. If you choose to take Step 1 when its P/F, you're essentially putting all your eggs in one basket on step 2 ck going well for you. Either way you need to take/do well on step 2 ck.

It is true that a low step I could hurt you, but an average score would be reassuring, and a high score would separate you from the pack.
Once everyone is on P/F, not having step II will be a big problem in my opinion because rotation grades are notoriously unstandardized.

Reactions: 2 users
I see, it seems like it might be preferable to take Step 1 during 2nd year when it will still be scored. Thanks for the input. Having just a Pass for Step 1 and then low Step 2 would not look good.

At my program the average Step 1 scores of applicants have gone up 10 points from the prior year. Could be an anomaly but it could be a trend too.

At my program the average Step 1 scores of applicants have gone up 10 points from the prior year. Could be an anomaly but it could be a trend too.
I bet it's heading towards the trend of being a trend. If you know what I mean.

People have been saying this every year for the last 5 years, but, in actuality, average step 1 for matched psych applicants has only increased by 3 points since 2016.