psych ER/cpep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeeWee137

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first audition rotation is in the psych ER. im starting in a couple of weeks and im trying to prepare. its in NYC if that makes a difference, im not sure if they are set up the same everywhere.
so how exactly does the psych ER work? are these patients medically cleared first? or do they bring everyone with altered mental status here to rule out medical causes? im just trying to figure out how to focus my studying - medical conditions that present with acute psych complaints vs. management of acute psych symptoms. obviously im going to study both anyway, since im auditioning, but im just curious.
im doing my regular ER rotation right now and the ER docs are evaluating and managing the patients with acute psych symptoms. but this hospital does not have a dedicated psych ER.
anyone have any advice for me? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It'll be broad in the ER. You'll see everything from garden-variety decompensated psychosis to complex differential presentations of "not normal" behavior which may, or may not, be psychiatric in origin.

I'd focus my studying on management of agitation, psychosis and mood disorders, drug-induced syndromes, and general criteria for admissions in New York (9.39, 9.27, etc.).

thanks! are there any references out there for these admission guidelines?