Psych-esque Cat Names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duneclimber

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just adopted 2 kittens from the humane society and am trying to come up with psych-oriented names for them (i.e. Cymba for cymbalta). Any additional ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

schiz(pronounced "skits")

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a friend who considered her cats to be her personal antidepressants, so named them Zack and Ellie--Prozac and Elavil, of course. :)

Personally, I think that Kraeplin would be a good name for a cat. You could name the other one Bleuler. But that would be way too geeky.

Slightly tangential here, but I have always known that I would name my cats after great philosophers, just because for such a beautiful creature they don't seem to do a damn thing all day but sleep. I like to think they ponder the secrets of the universe or something. Sooooo, my cat's name is Sophie, and when she gets a younger brother his name will be Shopenhauer (little Shopey!). I <3 kitties.

If my patients only knew I was such a softie. :laugh:

I kid you not when I say I know a professor who has two cats named Sigmund (Freud) and Carl (Jung).

Its a bit nerdy for most, especially since its pretty obvious. However, I DO like the name Sigmund for a cat.

How about Odepius and Electra? :)

I introduce you to Scully and Mulder:

scullyandmulder.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a cousin named Mary Electra. Greeks.

I think one is from mythology, and the other a comic book? I could be off though....I mean, I'm "off", but I may be wrong in this instance.

-t
OK, I stand corrected, it was the Electra complex. Elektra was a character in the Daredevil comic book and apparently my psych prof can't spell because in the handouts it's listed as "Elektra complex". Although the story upon which the name for the complex is based was turned into an opera by Strauss called Elektra (the Germanic spelling) so that may be the source of the error. My apologies.....as I said, I'm just an undergrad.

The kappa now literally transliterates as a k usually, although these things come in trends. 19th century and earlier 20th century translations employed a 'c' often. Lattimore and on give us Hektor, while Fitzgerald goes for Hector.

That's what you get for marrying a classics major.

I know this is a cat thread...but allow me to introduce Tigger. As in Winnie the Pooh. Take it as you will.

phone017.jpg

And his arch-nemesis....Claire.

phone024.jpg

LOL as you can see, both of the beasts are properly sedated. Just the way I prefer my patient's when on call.

schiz(pronounced "skits")

My aunt had a cat named Schitz. Pronounced "Skits." In fact, I think it was properly "Schizlefritz." She was a pretty schizoid cat, too.

And a good friend of mine has a cat named Psycho.

Personally, I have been on a Bullwinkle theme for some time, but am now branching into Brideshead Revisited...

You didn't mention whether these kittens are male or female, but how about mythological characters who fit d/o's? Like Clytemnestra, or Phaedra, or Hippolytus? Or maybe symptom related, like akathesia -- which, trust me, fits kittens. (Go ahead, ask me how I know that. I double dog dare you.)

My spouse and I have a new kitten just now. He looks so sweet -- which is natures way of keeping him alive to adulthood. Our grown up cat will need benzos pretty quick. Or even atypicals. Kitty Seroquel, anyone?

I introduce you to Scully and Mulder:

Ah, another Siamese fan. We have a brand new Siamese, and he's got me ready to cancel everything outside my house so I can watch him. He's more entertaining than TV -- even when we have DVDs that are actually worth watching. Siamese require special people, they're just not like other cats.

The fact that they sound EXACTLY like fretful babies when they cry might have something to do with it.

I have 2 kitties-- Udon Futomaki-san (Mr. Dood for short) and Puganot (Mr. Toot for short, even though she's a girl. Gender identity crisis!).

As for name suggestions, my favorite diagnostic category is (fill in the blank) NOS. I'd consider naming a cat 'Kitty NOS', K-NOS shortened. I have a bit of a weird sense of humor...

NS

Cat and Atonia. :D

I have 2 kitties-- Udon Futomaki-san (Mr. Dood for short) and Puganot (Mr. Toot for short, even though she's a girl. Gender identity crisis!).

As for name suggestions, my favorite diagnostic category is (fill in the blank) NOS. I'd consider naming a cat 'Kitty NOS', K-NOS shortened. I have a bit of a weird sense of humor...

NS

Weird sense of humor, but great taste in TV (nice "Scrubs" reference!....Dr. Acula)

-t