Psych in 2018 and Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyxab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of talk about the increasing competitiveness of Psych. In 2016 the average Step 1 for matched US MD's was 224. Does this score still put a US grad in a good position to match? What if said grad is a DO? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does a 240+ put you in like the top 10 percent of psych applicants?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does a 240+ put you in like the top 10 percent of psych applicants?

Not necessarily, but it may help with the initial screening process and will likely help you on the applicant rank list. I have observed people with those scores ranked low because it was felt they would not be a good fit or were quite arrogant

I have observed people with those scores ranked low because it was felt they would not be a good fit or were quite arrogant

There is just no way this is true. They probably came off arrogant in their interview, and even then probably something worse than arrogance. No program would rank someone low just for having a high score.

You may be able to count on score to get you interviews in psychiatry, but it actually does not have a lot to do with your rank order (according to the program director survey)