Psych Mobile Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhasbeen

shrinkie dink
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use a smart phone for clinical purposes? I have a paleolithic cell phone that will likely die in a year or so based on how often I'm now charging the battery (they no longer even make parts for it :laugh:). Was hoping to reconcile to a smart phone with my fiance, but didn't know which one to go with. Would definitely lean towards a phone with a bunch of psych apps for future work purposes. Looks like Android has a mini mental app of some sort as well as one with DSM code numbers for each diagnosis (but no criteria). iPhone has a DSM code app as well. Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with the iphone. I'm biased though as a psychiatrist and an iphone developer.

http://psychiatrytools.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psych-dx/id373254216?mt=8
(Psych Dx has an MSE thesaurus, ICD code lookup, lots of reference on utox[detectability period, false positives], medical workup of various psych conditions, GAF guide and scoring algorithm). I do monthly updates and am steadily adding features. Expecting approval of next update in 1 week with rating scales (QIDS, Ham-D, AIMS, MoCA, AUDIT, CIWA, COWS) and V-codes.

I think right now no phone has a plethora of psych apps. I noticed this and am personally working to fill in some opportunities.

I'd go with the iphone. I'm biased though as a psychiatrist and an iphone developer.

http://psychiatrytools.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psych-dx/id373254216?mt=8
(Psych Dx has an MSE thesaurus, ICD code lookup, lots of reference on utox[detectability period, false positives], medical workup of various psych conditions, GAF guide and scoring algorithm). I do monthly updates and am steadily adding features. Expecting approval of next update in 1 week with rating scales (QIDS, Ham-D, AIMS, MoCA, AUDIT, CIWA, COWS) and V-codes.

I think right now no phone has a plethora of psych apps. I noticed this and am personally working to fill in some opportunities.

Can you make an app for Android????

Members don't see this ad :)

I second this. My gf would love that app for the android.

OP, I would go with the android os. It's going to be compatible with a larger amount of internet content (now it's even flash compatible).

Oh, don't forget that they both have epocrates.

OP, I would go with the android os. It's going to be compatible with a larger amount of internet content (now it's even flash compatible).
It'll be a good number of years before droid has the amount of clinical applications available currently on the iphone.

And if apple gets scared about the flash issue, they can make their device compatible without much effort. It's a political thing more than technical.

It'll be a good number of years before droid has the amount of clinical applications available currently on the iphone.

And if apple gets scared about the flash issue, they can make their device compatible without much effort. It's a political thing more than technical.

I disagree. I think many users are rapidly switching over to android phones, just for the simple fact that they can choose their provider (this will eventually change, bit it is having a dramatic effect on the iphone market share). These new android users will soon realize that they can download cheap/free music that can't be dl on the iphone, without an exorbitant fee through itunes. That the android has a removable SD card to upgrade, transfer, or upload memory data, the iphone does not. The android is open source, the iphone is not. Android applications will undergo tremendous growth (and have been), because many programmers don't want to deal with the approval process associated with apple apps, which the android programmers do not have to undergo. Many of the applications are free on the android, but there is a charge for them on the iphone. If there is a charge, similar pay applications are oftentimes less on the android if there is a fee for them. Android phones are much much easier to sync with other devices/computers than the iphone. The android has free turn-by-turn navigation while the iphone does not. etc. etc. etc... Oh, and you can actually hold the back of your android phone without it dropping a call... :p

While I'm saying all this in good fun, there is going to be much more growth in the android market than there will be in the iphone market. So medical apps on the android are growing very rapidly and will soon at the very least compete with the iphone in volume, but they could even exceed it. I think it is very "last year" to say the iphone has more apps, etc., because most of the iphones apps are garbage, and the android has pretty much all (and more in some categories) of usable, reliable, and helpful applications.

Can you tell what kind of phone I have? ;)

It's in the pipeline. I probably won't do that though until the iphone version is in what I'd consider a near complete state, including the DSM vs. ICD-10 comparison feature, which I'm doing an exhausting lit search to accomplish.

So android I'd anticipate in maybe 3-5 months.

It's in the pipeline. I probably won't do that though until the iphone version is in what I'd consider a near complete state, including the DSM vs. ICD-10 comparison feature, which I'm doing an exhausting lit search to accomplish.

Great. Let us know when it's available.

Nice. :thumbup:

I just downloaded this app and it doesn't work - it doesn't transfer across to my iPhone. :(

I just downloaded this app and it doesn't work - it doesn't transfer across to my iPhone. :(

CBB -- are you running ios 4? I've only heard one complaint of the app not working, but they weren't running iOS 4. Once they upgraded, it worked fine.

Lemme know what the problems are. PM me if necessary.

I have updated the OS on my iPhone to 4.1 and now the application works. (I couldn't update the OS using my mac which is a whole 3 years old and thus cannot get the latest version of iTunes, rendering my 6-month-old phone out of date), so I have had to switch to synching my phone with my even-older PC which is able to get every latest iTunes patch and can update my iPhone better than the mac. The irony.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting and helpful application. Thanks. :)

I have updated the OS on my iPhone to 4.1 and now the application works. (I couldn't update the OS using my mac which is a whole 3 years old and thus cannot get the latest version of iTunes, rendering my 6-month-old phone out of date), so I have had to switch to synching my phone with my even-older PC which is able to get every latest iTunes patch and can update my iPhone better than the mac. The irony.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting and helpful application. Thanks. :)

Thanks CBB. Positive reviews in itunes are always welcome :)

I get these scathing 1-star reviews on there from time to time which are discouraging for me as a developer.

If there's features people want in the app, tell me. I'll do my best to make it happen.