Psych Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Poety, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

If this is not the epitome of medicalizing unhappiness I don't konw what is.

I know this isnt the best start to a discussion, but I'm still watching it :)

Ok I think this movie had a big philosophical idea behind it. If we could rid ourselves of unhappiness by erasing the bad, but with that came the price of erasing the good as well, which would we choose, to suffer or to completely abolish our memories for the sake of happiness.

I think this movie was ok, but a bit weird -

I should have started this discussion with Requiem for a Dream .... now that was just an all around great psych movie.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that was a good movie. But the geek in me couldn't help being annoyed that they got the pupilary reactions wrong.

The course director for our second-year Brain and Behavior course (neurology, psych, and psychopharm) had a list of movies that we could watch and answer questions about for extra credit. It was fun - a bunch of us would get together on saturdays to watch them on our big screen and discuss the questions. The movies were:
    Requiem for a Dream (substance abuse)
    A Beautiful Mind (schizophrenia)
    As Good As It Gets (anxiety disorders)
    Ordinary People (suidide)
    Awakenings (movement disorders)
    And I think last year they watched Iris (alzheimers)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i can't remember the pupillary reaction they had going on - but I know they were doing a lot of speed with the heroin, were you talking about dilation instead of constriction?

anyway, that movie was sick - I own it on dvd :laugh: I think the worst part was what the girl did at the end, going back to that guys house to be in the "party" and get her stash, and that scene at the end where she was curled up on the couch hugging her smack was just creepy! The mother in the flick was just so sad, I couldn't help but feel so bad for her, how lonely she was, and how she inadvertantly became addicted because she wanted so badly to fit in that damn dress that she wore to her kids graduation - oh what a killer that was!

And ofcourse, the girlfriend waiting for the two junkies to get home from Fl or wherever they were going to score some, their phone conversations and the codependency going on there - very sad, excellent portrayal, i wonder if what made that movie hit so many nerves with people is because it came from a very real seeming perspective. No glamour there.

Another good addiction film is trainspotting.

4. mosche

mosche Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

LOVED Trainspotting!

I'm not really a big movie guy; but, I'm addicted to Harry Potter -- also the books. I'm not sure that that is really a "psych" movie, but it does make my friends/family worry about my sanity! What's weird is that I tutor several high school students in math, and I sit around and discuss the movies/books with them!

This is why I didn't answer/post before -- I'm inadequate (my masculinity feels vulnerable). Oh well, like I said, it's Saturday night and I'm STILL here!