Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
opthalmologists are surgeons....that alone forces them use more of their med school training.
As are podiatrists and dentists (doctors of dental surgery, after all).
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
opthalmologists are surgeons....that alone forces them use more of their med school training.
As are podiatrists and dentists (doctors of dental surgery, after all).
actually very very very few podiatrists actually get decent surgical exposure in training where they perform what could be reasonably called foot 'surgery'. Most of the surgery on the foot complex enough to be called as such is done by orthopods....who do go to medical school.
My sense is that mid-levels in any specialty function at the level of a senior resident pretty much throughout their careers..
sticking up for medicine, no way does a typical medicine PA function at the level of most medicine pgy-3s.........maybe more like the average pgy-2 at the very beginning of their second year.
The Fonz is right. This thread is a mess.
Atom, I hear you. I think both of us would like 5 minutes in the ring with this dude, but, it's not worth it. It's like you said he's a femme fatale of contrarian drama. There's no pugilistic thrill of competing ideas, competing for the useful direction of psychiatry. You just end up feeling slimy for getting into it with It. As soon as It has you riled up It's happy. And back to waiting for the next surgeon in leather to come along.
It's just...so...not worth any of it.
The only bad thing is. It f@cks up the scene. What could be a place of good conversation, including the fruitful elements of Splik's revisionist psychiatry, becomes kardashian theater. But.... you know, that's how it goes.
I wouldn't go that far, but he does rile me up. I guess I can understand where he is coming from. It is frustrating to think that all the hard work we are going through may be worth much less than expected.
I'm pretty sure there is a bit of uncertainty in all of medicine right now and lots of my peers (students) seem frustrated.
'
The uncertainty in some fields is much less than others. Surgeons, for example, have nothing to fear from midlevels going foward. Even looking way forward. Most medicine subspecialties like cards, gi, hemonc have little to fear as well....sure there will continue to be midlevel involvement in these fields(increasingly so), but the lines will never be blurred in terms of who has a unique skill set on the team. An np/pa working for an interventional cardiology practice in *no* was has a similar skill set or does the same thing as the cardiologist. At the va though the outpt psychiatrists and outpatient psych nps do do something very similar. Same for in the outpt fam med clinics.
Or the midlevels will create more work for us. I hear all the time how mental health care in this country is inadequate. If the midlevels are increased, making it easier for the general population to get mental healthcare, more people will seek care that they need. More people in the system= more people that need to be seen by Psychiatrists.
that's not reality though....in fact, just because something is 'in need' or 'inadequate'(both of which by the way are vague and debatable in many ways) doesn't neccessarily mean that that creates a good position for physician level providers from a growth standpoint.
As it relates to psychiatry, midlevels won't be bringing new patients into the fold(if anything fewer patients will be coming into the fold) but rather siphoning off some of the easier(and more efficient patients in terms of how they are reimbursed) from us for cost efficiency reasons...all related to ACA and the way things are moving in health care overall.
I give up dude, you win the battle, I quit. You are right, it's all pointless, nobody should go into psychiatry. Future psychiatrists will have to resort to Lucy from Peanuts style booths, offering analysis for a nickel while the NPs treat all the patients. Actually everyone currently in psychiatry should quit now and kill themselves. No wait, they should be gathered up and shot for lying to the public about what they actually do.... It must suck to be so ****ing pessimistic. The glass isn't half empty, it's full of piss.
Here, let me predict your retorts so you don't have to bother.
"I'm just being real, this is reality, if you can't handle reality then it is your problem" " I never said we lie to the public." " I'm not trying to get people to quit, I'm just trying to prevent all the other cheerleaders from giving you false hope"
I could predict the rest because you are very predictable, but I should really be using my time elsewhere.
you're engaging in lots of black and white and all or nothing thinking. And some distortions of what I have said as well.
we're not going to work for 20 dollars an hour in the future.....but as health care changes in the form of more salaried employees and more payments being bundled(the two are obviously related) that is going to put downward pressure on salaries and in most settings blur the lines between the practical realities of practicing as a psych np/pa vs a psychiatrist.
This model is already seen in the VA, where people who work there will tell you that there isn't much practical difference between the day to day duties of most of the psychiatrist and the psych nps. There are some subtle differences, some administrative differences sure. This is a model as health care moves forward(and more psychiatrists in the outpt world become salaried...for some entity...still a little unclear what that form will be) will expand greatly. Which for the psychiatrists at the VA now isn't a terrible thing because they still get paid more like outpt psychiatrists than psych nps(meaning they start at 160ish k).....but the problem is that the VA doesn't(at least currently or in the past) give a flip about cost efficiency or the bottom line. Other entities that expand this model will care about those things....and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that if a psych np can serve x number of outpts and a psychiatrist is serving that same number of outpts, it makes a lot more sense from a bottom line standpoint to hire psych nps at 75k than psychiatrists at 170k.
I see what you did there. Hmmmm. I admire your fellatiotic expertise, relish, and tear jerking commitment.
Repulsion of that aside. All of these things exist pervasively, not just in psychiatry.
My response to these conditions is to say challenge accepted. I know my training is better so how can I use it. How can I develop a niche that allows, nay demands, that I use it.
The repulsion you've caused me has had an inspirational side effect. So....thanks?...I guess.
This pilot study suggests that nurses can be trained to perform colonoscopy in an effective manner, with results similar to a GI fellow. The learning curve indicated that 150 procedures are required before independent examinations are attempted
NPs are already doing and being trained to do scopes. While I agree with cards and heme/onc, GI is ripe for an np takeover.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
that is one tiny pilot program.
Additionally, even in this pilot program they are just doing screening scopes.....even if this did take hold(and I dont see it happening), GIs have many ways to get around the butting in on this one particular procedure(screening colonoscopies)....just refuse to contract with facilities where that happens for one.
By no means do I think this is the near future, but we can see how quickly CRNA's took over anesthesia as soon as I tasted the money in the air... cost-effectiveness blah blah blah, same arguments can be made here
the difference is that OR(and outpt surgery center/procedure room) anesthesia is the majority of anesthesia. It was ripe for the picking due to this very nature. Not only in terms of revenue, but in terms of scope of knowledge and daily practice it makes up the bulk of what anesthesia does. Furthermore, with OR anesthesia that is it and it isn't seen as just one step in the process of care. For screening colonoscopies, that isn't always the case on both fronts.
Yes, since the vast majority of screening colos are negative, the PCP can refer out to the gi or colorectal surgeon when the pathologist finds something abnormal. Like you said, it's more cost effective. It doesn't take an MD to put a camera up someone's butt.
my point was that, unlike anesthesia, this is just a slice of GI. And family physicians have been occasionally foraying into screening scoping for decades.....it hasn't changed the dynamics of GI.

True. But it is their cash-cow spammable procedure. They won't get thrown out of a job, they'll just treat the more complex cases... kind of like the psychiatrists and psych nps?![]()
it's not neccessarily an issue of complexity.....I also think you underestimate the training required to do a screening colonoscopy.
furthermore there is nothing in the future(even in the distant future) suggesting which nps will be able to bill for such things.
Finally, the problem with the psychiatrist/psych np analogy is that in psychiatry the vast majority of patients seen in many settings are *not* complex. In this is it more similar to family medicine.
Dude.... Can you just say 1 good thing about psychiatry/psychiatrists? I honestly can't figure out why you went into this profession. Were you forced into it? What the hell.
AB, if you want to be a psychiatrist a good first step is being ok with not knowing why Vistaril went into Psychiatry. If you cannot overcome that obstacle you will have a rough road ahead my friend.
Dude.... Can you just say 1 good thing about psychiatry/psychiatrists? I honestly can't figure out why you went into this profession. Were you forced into it? What the hell.
Vistaril is manifestly doubtful about the future of psychiatric practice. He has reason to think this way based on his experience and observatrions. I don't blame him for that, but I don't think it's as dire as he thinks.
It is in Vistaril's advantage for there to remain a vast shortage of psychiatrists.
Vistaril, like all human beings, tends to act out of self-interest.
In his desire to preserve whatever his piece of the psychiatric pie may be, he overstates the present and potential future problems of psychiatry to prevent others from joining the field. This may be partially unconsciously driven.
That's my theory, anyway. It's mostly a joke, but this formulation allows me to be more empathic toward his state of mind and conduct on this forum.
What would be nice if we could do a lot better in terms of recruiting more amgs to do psychiatry. That would elevate the field somewhat imo.
I'm going to wade into this analysis of Vistaril and suggest that he (or his wife) is a foreign graduate, which would complete the picture of self-loathing quite nicely.
you would be very wrong
Stigma is something our patients struggle with. This isn't something we need to take on personally.Right now we're leaders among the lowest paid primary care specialties and dealing with ongoing questions about stigma and prestige.
I don't think he's a foreign medical grad, but he must have a lot of personal (negative) experience training with enough FMGs and DOs to cause his passion for the topic. The clinical exposure/experiences, systems, and social support he describes does not gel with the "top NE program" claim.I'm going to wade into this analysis of Vistaril and suggest that he (or his wife) is a foreign graduate, which would complete the picture of self-loathing quite nicely.
I don't think he's a foreign medical grad, but he must have a lot of personal (negative) experience training with enough FMGs and DOs to cause his passion for the topic. The clinical exposure/experiences, systems, and social support he describes does not gel with the "top NE program" claim.
I'm going to wade into this analysis of Vistaril and suggest that he (or his wife) is a foreign graduate, which would complete the picture of self-loathing quite nicely.
Stigma is something our patients struggle with. This isn't something we need to take on personally.
Prestige is something folks need to outgrow.
you would be very wrong
Stigma is something our patients struggle with. This isn't something we need to take on personally.
Prestige is something folks need to outgrow.
If we're using stone tools at the frontier of medicine. I don't see reason to indict us for it. And I don't see reason to give up our foundation in medicine. I'm one of these people that wanted to be a doctor and happened to find psychiatry the most interesting field. If we are headed to the frontier where not much is clear. Why wouldn't we take a viable skill set in general medicine basics with us.
.
In fact, many med students tell me that before the rotation they actually felt there was more of an overlap with medicine and viewed psychiatrists more as 'real doctors' than they do afterwards. ]
This has to say more about your program than it says about psychiatry, I've never heard anyone at my medschool say this.
well...watch the video..just the first 4-5 minutes....it is pretty good.
furthermore, I currently work in a total of 4 different settings(3 unrelated to my program)....and most of the people I work with didn't train at my program.
What I mean is it has to say more about whoever is designing your MS3 rotation and the people who are teaching the medstudents. If your MS3 rotation is so bad that students are coming away with the view that
"they actually felt there was more of an overlap with medicine and viewed psychiatrists more as 'real doctors' than they do afterwards"
Then it seems like you all have an awful teaching environment and its not surprising you all apparently get so little respect from other specialties at the hospital.
What I mean is it has to say more about whoever is designing your MS3 rotation and the people who are teaching the medstudents. If your MS3 rotation is so bad that students are coming away with the view that
"they actually felt there was more of an overlap with medicine and viewed psychiatrists more as 'real doctors' than they do afterwards"
Then it seems like you all have an awful teaching environment and its not surprising you all apparently get so little respect from other specialties at the hospital.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.