Psych PAs/NPs

Started by beestrng
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beestrng

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in psych opportunities for both of these professions. From what I read NPs are more suited to the psych field compared to PAs.

Do they have any major differences? Like prescribing etc?
 
Psych tends to be a NP dominated field like EM and surgery are for PAs. if you really want to do psych as a non-physician, NP is the easier route. there are psych PAs and psych PA postgrad residencies, but they are certainly in the minority in that field.
 
I see that Iowa has post grad training for PAs and there might be another one I cant remember.

How competitive are those spots for training?
Psych tends to be a NP dominated field like EM and surgery are for PAs. if you really want to do psych as a non-physician, NP is the easier route. there are psych PAs and psych PA postgrad residencies, but they are certainly in the minority in that field.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad