Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCqueen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering how competetive it is to get into specific Psych programs such as:
UPenn
UPitt
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Specifically what are the range of Step I/Step II scores for people in these programs?
Is research a must? Can you realistically get into any of these programs without research?
Do they inteview most people?
Thanks so much in advance for the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

i am an img and didnt get an iv at any of those places.

They are all strong places with excellent residents. From the point of difficulty gaining entrance, I'd put Columbia and Cornell as the most difficult; NYU, Yale and Penn are slightly less difficult. Pitt is something of a special case since it has a great research program but may not be as hard to get into as the others.

I doubt if any of them have rigid cut offs for scores. Interestingly, STEP was created as a pass/fail test but has become a way to differentiate among candidates. They do NOT interview most candidates. The most successful candidates tend to have excellent grades, published research, good interviewing skills, and a lack of bad stuff (ie, the letters, grades, scores). At the same time, nobody's perfect, and people with less-than-stellar records frequently do get in.