Psych residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitwit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what other residents on the forum think of my chances of securing a residency in US?

Ideally I would want to join a university academic/research oriented program in NY,PA or MA. Do not have any specific programs in mind and I am aware that some of the top programs are very competitive. My partner has moved to NY and I want to be in close proximity to the big city.

My USMLE scores are average: Step 1 :88/213 Step 2CK: 88/215 Step 2CS pass. due to take step 3 exam.

I am a final year psych resident in the Uk. I have passed the MRCPsych exams ( equivalent to psych board exams). Do not have a lot of research experience but have a publication in a reputed journal in the UK.

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering what other residents on the forum think of my chances of securing a residency in US?

Ideally I would want to join a university academic/research oriented program in NY,PA or MA. Do not have any specific programs in mind and I am aware that some of the top programs are very competitive. My partner has moved to NY and I want to be in close proximity to the big city.

My USMLE scores are average: Step 1 :88/213 Step 2CK: 88/215 Step 2CS pass. due to take step 3 exam.

I am a final year psych resident in the Uk. I have passed the MRCPsych exams ( equivalent to psych board exams). Do not have a lot of research experience but have a publication in a reputed journal in the UK.

Hi there,

I don't know a lot, but I do know that Tufts Medical Center (formerly New England Medical Center) is pretty friendly when it comes to accepting IMG's. I've heard that Harvard South Shore is open to IMG's as well, but Longwood, Cambridge, and MGH are probably out of your reach. There is also St. Elizabeth's Hospital in the Boston area which is very non-competitive. I don't know anything about the BU residency.

Are you from the US originally and decided to study abroad?

Your scores are competitive, average, for psychiatry, I believe. Are those first time passing scores or do you have multiple attempts? If you have multiple attempts, then that would likely hinider you.

Do you have US clinical experience, letters of recommendation? I think that would help.

At places like MGh, Columbia, etc, you won't have a chance because they can pick from top US grads and they do. However, I would look at places like Maine Medical Center, they have a fair number of non-US grads and is a good program. I would look at places like Harvard South Shore and apply to a wide list of other programs.

I wouldn't limit yourself geograhically to Boston/NYC because that's where many applicants want to end up.

Good luck, gain some US experience if you can, and taking Step 3 would be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not from US and would need a visa sponsored by a program (H1B visa)

The area is pretty important as I want to be close to my partner who is currently in NY.

I do not have any attempts in USMLE and do plan to take step 3 asap. Will some USCE help me further or what I have done already in UK will be sufficient?

What about programs like NYU, Albert Einstein, Mt Sinai, SUNY?

At places like MGh, Columbia, etc, you won't have a chance because they can pick from top US grads and they do. However, I would look at places like Maine Medical Center, they have a fair number of non-US grads and is a good program. I would look at places like Harvard South Shore and apply to a wide list of other programs.

Never say never. MGH, Longwood, and Cambridge have all taken IMGs at some point. Training in the UK is (rightly or wrongly) far different than coming from south east asia, alhough programs might see having to sponsor an H-visa as too much work. Cast a wide net and see where you are offered interviews.

The PD at Pittsburgh is British, and he trained and practiced in the UK until 2005 when he took over at Pitt. I wonder if that might help you out at Pitt since he will clearly be very familiar with your background.

BU and Tufts in Boston are IMG-friendly. I interviewed at BU and there were a significant number of foreign grads.

Thanks all and doc samson, you inspire hope. I anticipate I would have to balance moving for personal reasons with securing a good residency program.

My fear is that I might get stuck in a residency (IMG friendly) where scutwork dominates and research opportunities are limited.

I might get stuck in a residency (IMG friendly) where scutwork dominates and research opportunities are limited.

Same goes for US grads. There aren't too many oppurtunities to learn about what's really going on except to ask around under the table or go on this forum.

Good luck. Your scores are certainly good enough to get into a decent U.S. program if you give it a try.