Psych Residency Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

detroitdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow psychers,
I am applying to psych residencies as we speak and am stuck about the personal statement. I am an average student at a US medical school, should have good LORs, decent step 1 score (214) not looking to go anywhere too competitive. I am having a problem STARTING my personal statement. I am a pretty creative writer but am not sure if creativity is the way to so in the personal statement. Do I use a patient experience to voice my interest in the field? personal experience? do i keep it straight forward? I am so confused! Please help! I think I need some psychotherapy :)
Thanks ;)

Members don't see this ad.

General guidelines for writing a psychiatry personal statement:

1. Great opening sentence. Not too dramatic or corny, but definately intriguing and "makes the reader want to continue."

2. Introductory paragraph building on the intro sentence. Introduce yourself, your history leading into how you came to be interested in psychiatry.

3. Body and/or anecdote. A seguay, usually moving to a personal psychiatry anecdote or lesson you learned within psychiatry that meant something to you.

4. How this experience will make you a great psychiatrist...pump your strengths

5. Conclusion. Describe what you're looking for in a residency program, and reiterate why you'll be a good fit to a particular program.

:luck: