Psych Residency (too late?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MKMGSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I recently began Psych rotation and really enjoy the field. I had no intention of going into Psych earlier, but I am definitely considering it now. I already applied into other fields, but I want to apply for Psych now (2013 match). Is it too late at this point? What can my options be without wasting a year and waiting for 2014 match? Do programs take you into PGY2 if I do a prelim year in something else?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody, I recently began Psych rotation and really enjoy the field. I had no intention of going into Psych earlier, but I am definitely considering it now. I already applied into other fields, but I want to apply for Psych now (2013 match). Is it too late at this point? What can my options be without wasting a year and waiting for 2014 match? Do programs take you into PGY2 if I do a prelim year in something else?

Thank you!!

I think most of it depends on whether or not you have a psych letter now and a PS. See the recently created thread. A number of programs save spots for PGY2s. Off the top of my head, I know that New Mexico and Washington University do, among some others that I forget. So, your options are as follows (and they're not mutually exclusive so I'd try each one and proceed to the next if the prior step fails):

1. Apply now.
2. Scramble/SOAP into a psych program.
3. Scramble into a TY/preliminary year.
4. Apply for PGY2 spots next year.
4. Apply for PGY1 spots next year.

Not ideal, but still plenty of options.

How many and which other fields did you apply into?

Thank you!!

You are late to the game, but it's still not too late. There's still interviews going on in most places. You most likely won't get your dream program, but you probably wouldn't have to do a prelim year if your willing to go to a middle-tier program.
My best friend in medical school switched from General Surgery into Psychiatry the week that rank list was due. He was a strong candidate and he contacted the Psych Program Director of our medical school. My friend ended up only ranking the one Psych program and he matched into our University.
My recommendation would be to finalize your desires and then contact program directors by email or phone and explain your situation.
If you have average scores, you probably can find a spot.