Psych Section Bank #77

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatthinners

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You know that the dependent stressor is the isolation resulting from others being driven away because the "stress" is DEPENDENT on whether or not you're isolating other people. If you didn't isolate people, you wouldn't be stressed about reassurance. But if you did isolate people, you WOULD be stressed about reassurance.

In other words, the key words here is, "the isolation RESULTING," which is what gives you the hint that "stress" is needed to be dependent upon. Alternatively, choice C mentions "interpersonal tension CAUSED by," which is a relationship that doesn't describe an independent/dependent relationship.

I remember when I was doing this question bank two months ago - it took me a while to answer this question too - so I agree that it's a little bit confusing!

End of 2nd paragraph and middle of 3rd says dependent stressor = behavior. Only C, "isolation," is the closest to being a behavior.

I just had to solve this one and this was difficult.
It's really a hard question to answer, but this is how I explained it to myself:
A negative behavior (need for reassurance) is causing a "dependent stressor" (something you CAN control) to manifest which will increase likelihood for depression.
A dependent stressor is associated with a behavioral cause, something internal that you have control over. "Isolation" is something internal, and something that you are doing unto yourself by driving other people away from you (I think it is pretty important that choice C reads "resulting from others being driven away" implying that it's not others isolating you, but you are the one driving others away and bringing isolation upon yourself). And, importantly, this "isolation" wouldn't have occurred if you were not "reassurance seeking."
For answer choice B, "interpersonal tension caused by the need for reassurance," is not a good answer because there are other people actively involved in this tension as well. You can't have interpersonal tension on your own, there has to be someone else involved in this tension as well.
So, interpersonal tension can be seen partly out of your control (less internal than isolation), which could also be like a "independent stressor" as well.
This is why I think Choice C is the best answer. It is more explicitly a dependent stressor.

Reactions: 2 users