Psych Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Books Preferred for Psych Shelf Exam

• BRS

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Blueprints

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Appleton and Lange

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Boards and Wards

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • PreTest

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • NMS

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • High Yield

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I forgot that I did those exams too the day before the shelf because I was freaking out. One of them (#2 I think) kicked my butt. The other one I did really well on. The questions on the shelf are really similar to the ones in the practice exams.

would you happen to remember if your final shelf score was closer to form 1 or form 2? or was it between the two? just got my butt kicked on form 2, and I'm hoping form 1 will be a little nicer. Shelf is on Thursday, Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I did well on Form 1, but got kind of roughed up on Form 2. It was nasty. I'm going to have a seizure if the real thing is like that (Form 2, that is).

would you happen to remember if your final shelf score was closer to form 1 or form 2? or was it between the two? just got my butt kicked on form 2, and I'm hoping form 1 will be a little nicer. Shelf is on Thursday, Thanks! :oops:

I did better than both on my shelf (94). I got like mid-80 on form 2 and a 90 on form 1. The real shelf definitely felt harder than form 1 though...I'd say closer to form 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who took Tests 1 and 2 at the end of Lange Q&A, how valuable did you find those in your preparation? How similar/realistic were they compared to the real shelf exam? Thanks.

For those who took Tests 1 and 2 at the end of Lange Q&A, how valuable did you find those in your preparation? How similar/realistic were they compared to the real shelf exam? Thanks.

Have you taken the Psych shelf yet? Can you or anybody on here comment as to how useful the Lange Q&A book is? It does not seem very representative of what I've been seeing on UWorld but it seems like a lot of people that did well use it. Thanks :)

Have you taken the Psych shelf yet? Can you or anybody on here comment as to how useful the Lange Q&A book is? It does not seem very representative of what I've been seeing on UWorld but it seems like a lot of people that did well use it. Thanks :)

I did take it. I thought Lange was pretty useful, I guess, but honestly, it was a weirder test than I thought. There was a bunch of peds stuff that was a little out there -- not even really peds psych stuff. Lange was definitely good, but not as representative of what I saw on the exam. I was surprised. Overall, I would say Lange and UWorld were the most useful sources.

got a 94, FA psych is money, read it twice, also read case files and blueprints (fa and bp are both real quick reads, case files is about the same as every other one). other than that just uworld (didnt think it was enormously helpful). lots of distinguishing between similar disorders, some side effects stuff but not the side effects you would guess, some surprising anatomy. im not that smart and pretty much blew off psych first two years so anyone can do well on this one if they want.

got a 94, FA psych is money, read it twice, also read case files and blueprints (fa and bp are both real quick reads, case files is about the same as every other one). other than that just uworld (didnt think it was enormously helpful). lots of distinguishing between similar disorders, some side effects stuff but not the side effects you would guess, some surprising anatomy. im not that smart and pretty much blew off psych first two years so anyone can do well on this one if they want.

Congrats. Did you use Lange (if so did you find it helpful)?

Also, did you take the practice Shelf NBMEs for $20? If so, how did you do on those?

Thanks.

no lange, no practice shelfs. id say most important thing is just drilling fa in

I did take it. I thought Lange was pretty useful, I guess, but honestly, it was a weirder test than I thought. There was a bunch of peds stuff that was a little out there -- not even really peds psych stuff. Lange was definitely good, but not as representative of what I saw on the exam. I was surprised. Overall, I would say Lange and UWorld were the most useful sources.
If you or anybody else can help with the following questions I'd really appreciate it as I'm close to my Shelf:

1. A 42-year-old woman, gravida 1, para 1, comes to the physician because of a 5-month history of increasingly severe episodes of lower abdominal pain. The pain is exacerbated during bowel movements, sexual intercourse, and menses. Treatment with several analgesics has not controlled the pain. Laparoscopy 4 years ago and a second laparoscopy 2 years ago for evaluation of pain showed no abnormalities. She is sexually active with one male partner, and they use condoms for contraception. She is a single parent and lost her job 6 months ago.She now has difficulty sleeping 1 to 3 nights each week because she worries about finding a job. Abdominal examination shows tenderness in both lower quadrants. Pelvic examination shows a mobile, nontender uterus and normal, nontender adnexa. A complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, Pap smear, and urine and cervical cultures show no abnormalities. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step to determine the cause of this patient's pain?

A) MRI of the pelvis
B) Psychiatric assessment
C) Hysteroscopy
D) Laparoscopy
E) Endometrial biopsy

The answer is not A

2. A 32-year-old woman comes to the physician because of increasingly severe pain that originates in her left shoulder and radiates to her elbow. She describes the pain as constant and burning, rating her current pain as a 7 on a 10-point scale. Eighteen months ago, she sustained a nerve injury of the left upper extremity in a motor vehicle collision. Since that time, she has been unable to return to work. Current medications include oxycodone and gabapentin. Physical examination shows atrophy of the left thenar eminence. Muscle strength in the leftforearm and finger flexors is 3/5. On sensory examination, there is severe pain with light stroking of the anterolateral aspect of the left arm. Further sensory testing is deferred. During the examination she tells her physician, "I'm tired of all this. My medication is not strong enough. It only takes the edge off my pain, which is only getting worse. I'm realizing I'll be like this forever." Which of the following is the most appropriate response by the physician?

A) "Are you worried about more nerve damage developing?"
B) "Do you ever use more pain medication than is prescribed?"
C) "Have you been feeling like just giving up?"
D) "Is the pain caused by touch socially limiting?"
E) "Let's review your medical concerns."

The answer is not E

3. A 47-year-old man is brought to the physician by his wife because of "unbearable" behavior during the past 2 weeks. His wife reports that he has been talking about his various inventions constantly and recently bought a new recreational vehicle, even though they do not travel long distances. He repeatedly tells his wife that "the time to make and enjoy money has come." He has been openly critical of their pastor's prayers during church services. He claims that the pastor does not know what he is talking about because "God is talking to me, not him." His wife says that he has had episodes of similar behavior during the past 10 years that have been more tolerable. He has peptic ulcer disease treated with ranitidine and hypertension treated with triamterene. He does not smoke or drink alcohol. He is 170 cm (5 ft 7 in) tall and weighs 82 kg (180 lb); BMI is 28 kg/m2. His pulse is 80/min, and blood pressure is 150/95 mm Hg. Physical examination shows no other abnormalities. On mental status examination, he is relaxed and talkative, jumping from one topic to another. He claims that his wife does not understand him and that she has been plotting with the pastor against him. He denies any problems and says that he feels great and is capable of great things. Laboratory findings are within the reference range. Urine toxicology screening is positive for marijuana. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

A) Bipolar disorder
B) Delusional disorder
C) Mood disorder due to a general medical condition
D) Schizophrenia
E) Substance-induced mood disorder

The answer is not E

4. Five weeks after being discharged from the hospital after treatment for a psychotic episode, a 27-year-old man comes to the physician for a follow-up examination. During hospitalization, he claimed that he was instructed by the Lord to found a new religion and that a famous gospel singer was in love with him. Today, he says that he still hears the voices of the Lord and members of the church he attends in his apartment and when he shops in the supermarket. He no longer believes the world needs a new religion because the Lord is no longer instructing him to create one. He states, "My father in heaven tells me that he is at peace, and therefore, so am I." Current medications include risperidone and lorazepam. He drinks one to two beers on weekends. He used marijuana regularly in college but has abstained for the past 5 years. He appears clean and is casually dressed. His temperature is 36.7°C (98°F), pulse is 72/min, respirations are 20/min, and blood pressure is 130/72 mm Hg. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. Mental status examination shows a calm affect. He is cooperative, alert, and oriented to person, place, and time. Based on this information, which of the following is the most likely current diagnosis for this patient?

A) Bipolar disorder
B) Cyclothymic disorder
C) Delusional disorder
D) Schizoaffective disorder

The answer is not A

5. A 57-year-old woman comes to the physician because of difficulty sleeping, tearfulness, and restlessness since her daughter was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 3 days ago. She reports that when she goes to bed at night, she is unable to fall asleep for several hours and lays in bed worrying about her daughter's situation. The patient underwent a mastectomy for breast cancer 7 years ago. She takes acetaminophen/butalbital for occasional migraines. Her vital signs are within normal limits. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. On mental status examination, she is tearful and tense but calms during the conversation. There is no evidence of suicidal ideation. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A) Biofeedback
B) Carbamazepine therapy
C) Clonazepam therapy
D) Clonidine therapy
E) Imipramine therapy
F) Olanzapine therapy
G) Pentobarbital therapy
H) Sertraline therapy

The answer is not A

6. A 13-year-old girl is brought to the physician by her father for a well-child examination. He is concerned about her weight and eating habits. He says that she is always "on the go" and never sits down for a full meal. She will often just grab a piece of fruit when she is on her way to an activity. She will eat a full meal when the family has dinner together every Sunday. She has talked about wanting to become a vegetarian because of her concern for animals. She has had the same group of friends since elementary school. She is the captain of her soccer team and practices 4 days weekly. She is active in an after-school drama program 3 days weekly and is the lead in this season's play. She maintains a B grade average. Her father says that she talks on the telephone "constantly" and is animated and cheerful most of the time. When she is in her bedroom, she prefers to keep the door closed and stops talking if she is on the telephone and her father walks into the room. She has a disorganized bedroom and often falls fast asleep on a bed covered with piles of clothes. Menarche has not occurred. She appears thin and muscular. She is at the 50th percentile for height and 35th percentile for weight, which is unchanged from last year. Vital signs are within normal limits. Breast and pubic hair development are Tanner stage 2. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. When interviewed alone, she is animated. She shrugs and rolls her eyes when asked about her diet and weight. She thinks she is fine and does not understand why her father is so upset. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step?

A) Reassure the father that this is normal development
B) Recommend individual psychotherapy
C) Recommend nutritional counseling
D) Recommend that the father keep a log of what his daughter eats
E) Schedule weekly examination and weighing

7. A 27-year-old woman comes to the physician for an examination prior to starting a new job. She has a 10-year history of binge-eating and self-induced vomiting. She takes no medications. She does not drink alcohol or use illicit drugs. She is 178 cm (5 ft 10 in) tall and weighs 72 kg (160 lb); BMI is 23 kg/m2. Her temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 70/min, respirations are 10/min, and blood pressure is 120/70 mm Hg. Physical examination shows yellow dental enamel and abdominal striae. Serum studies are most likely to show which of the following abnormalities?

A) Decreased bicarbonate concentration
B) Increased amylase activity
C) Increased magnesium concentration
D) Increased potassium concentration
E) Increased sodium concentration

If you or anybody else can help with the following questions I'd really appreciate it as I'm close to my Shelf:

1. A 42-year-old woman, gravida 1, para 1, comes to the physician because of a 5-month history of increasingly severe episodes of lower abdominal pain. The pain is exacerbated during bowel movements, sexual intercourse, and menses. Treatment with several analgesics has not controlled the pain. Laparoscopy 4 years ago and a second laparoscopy 2 years ago for evaluation of pain showed no abnormalities. She is sexually active with one male partner, and they use condoms for contraception. She is a single parent and lost her job 6 months ago.She now has difficulty sleeping 1 to 3 nights each week because she worries about finding a job. Abdominal examination shows tenderness in both lower quadrants. Pelvic examination shows a mobile, nontender uterus and normal, nontender adnexa. A complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, Pap smear, and urine and cervical cultures show no abnormalities. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step to determine the cause of this patient's pain?

A) MRI of the pelvis
B) Psychiatric assessment
C) Hysteroscopy
D) Laparoscopy
E) Endometrial biopsy

The answer is not A

B. It's time for psych assessment now because the whole work-up for organic disease has already been done and has revealed nothing. Also, I don't recommend this, but you can use the lame, error-prone med student multiple choice wizardry method and notice that B. is the only one of the choices that is NOT part of the work-up for organic disease.

2. A 32-year-old woman comes to the physician because of increasingly severe pain that originates in her left shoulder and radiates to her elbow. She describes the pain as constant and burning, rating her current pain as a 7 on a 10-point scale. Eighteen months ago, she sustained a nerve injury of the left upper extremity in a motor vehicle collision. Since that time, she has been unable to return to work. Current medications include oxycodone and gabapentin. Physical examination shows atrophy of the left thenar eminence. Muscle strength in the leftforearm and finger flexors is 3/5. On sensory examination, there is severe pain with light stroking of the anterolateral aspect of the left arm. Further sensory testing is deferred. During the examination she tells her physician, "I'm tired of all this. My medication is not strong enough. It only takes the edge off my pain, which is only getting worse. I'm realizing I'll be like this forever." Which of the following is the most appropriate response by the physician?

A) "Are you worried about more nerve damage developing?"
B) "Do you ever use more pain medication than is prescribed?"
C) "Have you been feeling like just giving up?"
D) "Is the pain caused by touch socially limiting?"
E) "Let's review your medical concerns."

The answer is not E

I went with C on this one.

I think B sounds too accusatory.

3. A 47-year-old man is brought to the physician by his wife because of "unbearable" behavior during the past 2 weeks. His wife reports that he has been talking about his various inventions constantly and recently bought a new recreational vehicle, even though they do not travel long distances. He repeatedly tells his wife that "the time to make and enjoy money has come." He has been openly critical of their pastor's prayers during church services. He claims that the pastor does not know what he is talking about because "God is talking to me, not him." His wife says that he has had episodes of similar behavior during the past 10 years that have been more tolerable. He has peptic ulcer disease treated with ranitidine and hypertension treated with triamterene. He does not smoke or drink alcohol. He is 170 cm (5 ft 7 in) tall and weighs 82 kg (180 lb); BMI is 28 kg/m2. His pulse is 80/min, and blood pressure is 150/95 mm Hg. Physical examination shows no other abnormalities. On mental status examination, he is relaxed and talkative, jumping from one topic to another. He claims that his wife does not understand him and that she has been plotting with the pastor against him. He denies any problems and says that he feels great and is capable of great things. Laboratory findings are within the reference range. Urine toxicology screening is positive for marijuana. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

A) Bipolar disorder
B) Delusional disorder
C) Mood disorder due to a general medical condition
D) Schizophrenia

The answer is not E

I went with A) bipolar disorder, on this, although I think this is a poorly written question. I believe this is describing mania in a bipolar patient. I think E is incorrect because marijuana doesn't typically cause this kind of euphoria.

4. Five weeks after being discharged from the hospital after treatment for a psychotic episode, a 27-year-old man comes to the physician for a follow-up examination. During hospitalization, he claimed that he was instructed by the Lord to found a new religion and that a famous gospel singer was in love with him. Today, he says that he still hears the voices of the Lord and members of the church he attends in his apartment and when he shops in the supermarket. He no longer believes the world needs a new religion because the Lord is no longer instructing him to create one. He states, "My father in heaven tells me that he is at peace, and therefore, so am I." Current medications include risperidone and lorazepam. He drinks one to two beers on weekends. He used marijuana regularly in college but has abstained for the past 5 years. He appears clean and is casually dressed. His temperature is 36.7°C (98°F), pulse is 72/min, respirations are 20/min, and blood pressure is 130/72 mm Hg. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. Mental status examination shows a calm affect. He is cooperative, alert, and oriented to person, place, and time. Based on this information, which of the following is the most likely current diagnosis for this patient?

A) Bipolar disorder
B) Cyclothymic disorder
C) Delusional disorder
D) Schizoaffective disorder

The answer is not A

It's C. I remember getting this one right. The patient is having delusions, which are pleasant, and not causing home any harm or fear. He is simply believes God is talking to him. Hallucinations can be negative or scary -- often voices telling the patient negative things about himself.

5. A 57-year-old woman comes to the physician because of difficulty sleeping, tearfulness, and restlessness since her daughter was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 3 days ago. She reports that when she goes to bed at night, she is unable to fall asleep for several hours and lays in bed worrying about her daughter's situation. The patient underwent a mastectomy for breast cancer 7 years ago. She takes acetaminophen/butalbital for occasional migraines. Her vital signs are within normal limits. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. On mental status examination, she is tearful and tense but calms during the conversation. There is no evidence of suicidal ideation. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

A) Biofeedback
B) Carbamazepine therapy
C) Clonazepam therapy
D) Clonidine therapy
E) Imipramine therapy
F) Olanzapine therapy
G) Pentobarbital therapy
H) Sertraline therapy

The answer is not A

I think it's H (sertraline).

6. A 13-year-old girl is brought to the physician by her father for a well-child examination. He is concerned about her weight and eating habits. He says that she is always "on the go" and never sits down for a full meal. She will often just grab a piece of fruit when she is on her way to an activity. She will eat a full meal when the family has dinner together every Sunday. She has talked about wanting to become a vegetarian because of her concern for animals. She has had the same group of friends since elementary school. She is the captain of her soccer team and practices 4 days weekly. She is active in an after-school drama program 3 days weekly and is the lead in this season's play. She maintains a B grade average. Her father says that she talks on the telephone "constantly" and is animated and cheerful most of the time. When she is in her bedroom, she prefers to keep the door closed and stops talking if she is on the telephone and her father walks into the room. She has a disorganized bedroom and often falls fast asleep on a bed covered with piles of clothes. Menarche has not occurred. She appears thin and muscular. She is at the 50th percentile for height and 35th percentile for weight, which is unchanged from last year. Vital signs are within normal limits. Breast and pubic hair development are Tanner stage 2. Physical examination shows no abnormalities. When interviewed alone, she is animated. She shrugs and rolls her eyes when asked about her diet and weight. She thinks she is fine and does not understand why her father is so upset. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step?

A) Reassure the father that this is normal development
B) Recommend individual psychotherapy
C) Recommend nutritional counseling
D) Recommend that the father keep a log of what his daughter eats
E) Schedule weekly examination and weighing

A) normal development
This is what I meant by peds stuff not directly related to psych. Knowing age-appropriate behaviors and milestones

7. A 27-year-old woman comes to the physician for an examination prior to starting a new job. She has a 10-year history of binge-eating and self-induced vomiting. She takes no medications. She does not drink alcohol or use illicit drugs. She is 178 cm (5 ft 10 in) tall and weighs 72 kg (160 lb); BMI is 23 kg/m2. Her temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 70/min, respirations are 10/min, and blood pressure is 120/70 mm Hg. Physical examination shows yellow dental enamel and abdominal striae. Serum studies are most likely to show which of the following abnormalities?

A) Decreased bicarbonate concentration
B) Increased amylase activity
C) Increased magnesium concentration
D) Increased potassium concentration
E) Increased sodium concentration

B) increase salivary amylase -- seen in people who vomit a lot -- even people who vomit because they are making themselves do it

I thought UWorld questions were way easy when doing the UW Psych questions. And I think the shelf questions were definitely harder than World, so recommend to use other sources for questions.

I used Lange and some of Pre-Test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this the NBME Psych Form 1 or 2?

Any opinions on how heavy Psych is for Step 2? I was considering taking Step 2 without psychiatry under my belt, prob just do DIT for it or something. Any recommendations? Much appreciated!

Last edited:
bump^ Still interested. Thanks

I have not taken step 2 ck yet but considering all you need to study for the shelf is first aid for psych clerkship and its like like what 90 pages and half of it is fluff you can prob get by. I mean the uworld questions r a joke and to be honest I don't feel like this clerkship shelf added much to my second year knowledge of psych from step 1.

Shelf on Friday here.

You think if I can get through First Aid twice and finish Uworld questions by then I should be okay?

Thanks in advance.

Is the 10th edition much better than the 9th edition of Lange Q&A?

Took it today. It was hard, and basically they challenge you with diagnosis by trying to confuse the hell out of you with long stems, irrelevant information and spreading the useful information around. You need to know all the nuances between depression, anxiety, adjustment disorder, drug and medical induced.

I really did not think Lange was that helpful. I got a few low yield questions right from it, but Lange was not strong on the above. The diagnosis section was really easy. OTOH, psychopharm which was hard on Lange was much straightforward on the shelf. UWorld is a joke. It's the bare skeleton you'd absolutely need to pass.

Took it this week. Agree with above. Much harder than I expected.

You have to read the entire question b/c something buried in the end might entirely change the answer, I did that several times b/c I was rushing. Questions stems are half page long, a lot of ambiguous questions not sure what they were asking. 10% were straight up medicine Q's with some neuro thrown in. Barely finished on time and had no time to go over marked questions. I probably missed/was unsure on ~25 questions. This is by far the worst shelf I did on. So frustrated!

I am kind of worried that I might failed. Anyone know the cutoff for pass?

You have to read the entire question b/c something buried in the end might entirely change the answer, I did that several times b/c I was rushing. Questions stems are half page long, a lot of ambiguous questions not sure what they were asking. 10% were straight up medicine Q's with some neuro thrown in. Barely finished on time and had no time to go over marked questions. I probably missed/was unsure on ~25 questions. This is by far the worst shelf I did on. So frustrated!

I am pretty sure each school can set their own pass/fail cutoff for each shelf exam. My school requires that you get get at least 2 standard deviations from the national mean for each shelf. For psych, the national mean is 78.2, and our school requires you to get at least 64 on it to pass.

Think about it like this: the USMLEWorld average is in the 70s and that's what I presume is the average level of med students in psych, and it's 100x easier. I was getting 90% when I was lying in bed doing them. So I think missing 25 out of 100 can lend you to a pretty good score. Definitely above pass. Keep in mind that the 78.2 is the scaled score, not the average correct.

USMLE world is nothing like the real deal, which tries to trick you a lot of times with long stems and irrelevant details and distractors. Why do you think miss 25 can lead you a good score.

I think 78.2 is average raw score, because 70 is the average scaled score with a SD = 8.

USMLE world is nothing like the real deal, which tries to trick you a lot of times with long stems and irrelevant details and distractors. Why do you think miss 25 can lead you a good score.

I think 78.2 is average raw score, because 70 is the average scaled score with a SD = 8.

No, 78.2 is the scaled score. The 70 average is still from the 90s, and for psychiatry this isn't the average anymore (which is why people say the average for psych is 78). NBME doesn't release the percentage correct. Based on how school mates have done and the USMLE World average, I think 75% on the shelf will turn into a good score.

Does anyone know what level of behavioral sciences/biostats we're actually supposed to know for the exam?

Is the general consensus that UWORLD isn't worth it?

Idk what the last few posts are talking about. I did just FA + UWorld and passed comfortably enough to get a high pass in the rotation.

from my perusing of this thread I don't think you'll see too much psychoanalysis on the exam if at all. It's certainly not in FA for Psych.

As another question for anyone who's taken the exam, do you know if you're responsible for for brand names of drugs? or is generic enough?

from my perusing of this thread I don't think you'll see too much psychoanalysis on the exam if at all. It's certainly not in FA for Psych.

As another question for anyone who's taken the exam, do you know if you're responsible for for brand names of drugs? or is generic enough?

As it always is for all shelf exams, generic ONLY. That being said, remembering that sertraline is zoloft made it a lot easier to remember than for Step 1 (like when I thought sertraline was an MAO-I [ala seligiline])

That's comforting to hear. Yea I noticed FA first Psych had all the brand names in parenthesis and I kinda figured it might be there just for the sake of referencing.

Also does anyone know whether UWORLD's psych ethics questions is proportional to the actual shelf? I say this b/c FA Psych focused primarily on consent, capacity, etc. -- more legal and less ethics.

Took it today. It was hard, and basically they challenge you with diagnosis by trying to confuse the hell out of you with long stems, irrelevant information and spreading the useful information around. You need to know all the nuances between depression, anxiety, adjustment disorder, drug and medical induced.

I really did not think Lange was that helpful. I got a few low yield questions right from it, but Lange was not strong on the above. The diagnosis section was really easy. OTOH, psychopharm which was hard on Lange was much straightforward on the shelf. UWorld is a joke. It's the bare skeleton you'd absolutely need to pass.

Score was 88. Good enough to honor so I'm thrilled.

Score was 88. Good enough to honor so I'm thrilled.

Congrats Jorje. Sorry to hear Lange and UWORLD weren't too helpful in terms of prep. Was pretest/casefiles any better at hitting the nuances you mentioned?

Congrats Jorje. Sorry to hear Lange and UWORLD weren't too helpful in terms of prep. Was pretest/casefiles any better at hitting the nuances you mentioned?

I only did a couple PreTest questions and no casefiles. Based on the usual PreTest question type, I wouldn't think they'd be very helpful. If I had to one thing differently I would do NBME self-assessments and read more FA. I didn't think it was the core knowledge that was difficult, just the way the case is addressed. In fact, I think I got better at it during the exam, and at the end I had time to go back to the first 30 questions or so, and I fixed many, many "dumb" mistakes because at that stage I knew how to deal with the questions.

The psych shelf had quite a bit of pediatrics (including biochem/genetic diseases) and neurology.

It seems that anything that causes "learning disability" or psychosis of any kind counts for the psych exam.

Case in point, do you recall the disease in a child that makes a ferric chloride test turn green? No other hints given. (No Guthrie test, no mousy odor, no avoidance of diet soda, etc...)

Also, a man who acts out his violent dreams at night begins to punch his wife... no other hints given.... (nothing about bradykinesia, postural instability, cogwheel rigidity, resting tremor)

Just took the exam. I thought it was way harder than anything I had anticipated. In hindsight I should have taken an NMBE. Lots of confusing stems with treatment options that I felt could go either way e.g. best dx test for narcolepsy. eeg. or polysomnograph? can't it be both? having to decide between group vs psychodynamic therapy for disorders. cbt for specific phobias? i knew it was desensitization but can that be classified as cbt? teen develops SI on an SSRI. first discontinue or admit? kid develops QT prolongation or tricyclic. do you admit to hospital and monitor or remove tricyclic? woman comes in with tremors for months now. she has alcohol hx and lithium within therapeutic range. i'm pretty sure alcohol withdrawal wouldn't present with tremors that have lasted for months. but then again her lithium levels were just below the cap. really confusing. i had no idea. they'll ask a lot of questions with obvious stems but then word the disease as its broader category like fugue as dissociative disorder or autism has pervasive developmental disorder.

Did anybody else with a good score feel as though they had to guess on over a quarter of the questions? i thought these quarter i'm referring to weren't exactly straight from FA Psych which I held to bible status.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good source that they would recommend for learning the pediatric syndromes that are tested? I won't have had peds or medicine before the test. Thank you!

Does anyone have a good source that they would recommend for learning the pediatric syndromes that are tested? I won't have had peds or medicine before the test. Thank you!

I am very interested in this as well. If anyone could give advice on how to study for the peds syndromes that are tested, that would be great. An initial list that I recall: DiGeorge, Fragile X, Retts, fetal alcohol syndrome, Prader-Willi, Williams syndrome. Thanks!

Just took the exam. I thought it was way harder than anything I had anticipated. In hindsight I should have taken an NMBE. Lots of confusing stems with treatment options that I felt could go either way e.g. best dx test for narcolepsy. eeg. or polysomnograph? can't it be both? having to decide between group vs psychodynamic therapy for disorders. cbt for specific phobias? i knew it was desensitization but can that be classified as cbt? teen develops SI on an SSRI. first discontinue or admit? kid develops QT prolongation or tricyclic. do you admit to hospital and monitor or remove tricyclic? woman comes in with tremors for months now. she has alcohol hx and lithium within therapeutic range. i'm pretty sure alcohol withdrawal wouldn't present with tremors that have lasted for months. but then again her lithium levels were just below the cap. really confusing. i had no idea. they'll ask a lot of questions with obvious stems but then word the disease as its broader category like fugue as dissociative disorder or autism has pervasive developmental disorder.

Did anybody else with a good score feel as though they had to guess on over a quarter of the questions? i thought these quarter i'm referring to weren't exactly straight from FA Psych which I held to bible status.

I had the exact same feeling during the first time I took the shelf (which I subsequently failed). It was always between two choices that were reasonable and after looking over FA again, I don't see any information on how we would decide on clinical management. Any suggestions on how to deal with these types of questions? Thanks!

I think Lange Q&A has a child psych chapter that may help.

I am very interested in this as well. If anyone could give advice on how to study for the peds syndromes that are tested, that would be great. An initial list that I recall: DiGeorge, Fragile X, Retts, fetal alcohol syndrome, Prader-Willi, Williams syndrome. Thanks!

I would add some of the neurogenetic disorders including Angelman's Syndrome and Huntington's (of course Huntington's is not a peds syndrome) to this list. Looks pretty good though. I think if you know about above + Angelman's you should be well covered for these peds syndromes on the psych shelf.

I would add some of the neurogenetic disorders including Angelman's Syndrome and Huntington's (of course Huntington's is not a peds syndrome) to this list. Looks pretty good though. I think if you know about above + Angelman's you should be well covered for these peds syndromes on the psych shelf.

Great! Thanks!

Anybody think DIT psych for Step 1 or 2 would be helpful for the shelf? or even Step 2 CK?

I think Lange Q&A has a child psych chapter that may help.

Thank you! Sounds like there's no single perfect solution but this is a great start.

Is it worth it to purchase the latest books for a specialty I most likely wont go into or is purchasing the older editions of these books fine. The older editions are significantly cheaper on amazon.

There's no reason to buy newest editions for this shelf. Psychiatry hasn't changed much from a MS3's testing perspective since the '90s.

There's no reason to buy newest editions for this shelf. Psychiatry hasn't changed much from a MS3's testing perspective since the '90s.

Thanks for the advice! I am debating between getting FA 2nd edition or 3rd edition (difference of 30 dollars). My main concern is that there may be new medications in the 3rd edition that I may miss out on. Is this a legitimate concern?