psych shelf question for those who have taken-not covered in other posts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry to post about a shelf but i read all the psych posts and could not really get a definitivfe answer regarding my question-which is how much psychotherapy type stuff is on the exam? I mean questions on freud kind of things, pyschoanalysis theory, learning theory, CBT- you know all that freudian or other psychotherapy stuff?? Thanks much

Members don't see this ad.

Not much. Pretty low yield as I remember. Know in which conditions CBT is recommended, but you don't have to know who came up with which theory. (thank goodness!)

TheCat said:
sorry to post about a shelf but i read all the psych posts and could not really get a definitivfe answer regarding my question-which is how much psychotherapy type stuff is on the exam? I mean questions on freud kind of things, pyschoanalysis theory, learning theory, CBT- you know all that freudian or other psychotherapy stuff?? Thanks much

none. As one of the other posters said, just know when certain therapies would be used. In general, 3rd years shelfs have very little theory. Basically know clinical presentations, workup, treatment. That's it. (I'm not saying the tests are easy--they aren't--but they really just cover these 3 aspects). I have heard that some versions of the shelf ask about drug mechanisms of action (mine did not), but other than that, the psych shelf is very clinical. There is a really good breakdown of the psych shelf on the shelf thread. It talks about there being 60-70 pure psych questions, etc. That is exactly how the shelf is.

one question out of the 100 on my exam about psychotherapy...i believe it was CBT too.