Psych vs. Basic Science research in ugrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eight sat up

ms0!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read previous threads on the req's for admission regarding research in ugrad but I was wondering on the specific types of research necessary. I go to a top 25 research heavy school in cali, and seeing as how I will be up against cali applicants, I plan on doing some sort of research. Right now I have the opportunity to participate in psych research, but after consulting my sis (an MSIII in cali), I'm not sure what to do (she says to pass it up and find a basic science lab, because cali schools will appreciate this more). I have great clinical exposure so research is really my only concern as of my ECs...In the psych lab I would be running subjects, entering data, and possibly learning how to interpret brain imaging versus running gels and doing bench work. Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you enjoy more, not what you think will look better on your application. You want to work on a project where you will achieve a degree of independence, and build a strong relationship with a faculty member. Just make sure to get some clinical experience to find out why you want to pursue medicine.
good luck.

I'm a neuro fan, so I would go with the neuro. I think the above poster is right though, just go with whatever you would like more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did psych research because it was more interesting to me at the time....i learned alot.. and i had fun running participants

Unfortunately I must disagree. If you are only running basic stuff in the psych lab go w/ science research (it will help you in med school and also look better when applying). However you probably would enjoy the psych research more, so you are "damned if you do... and damnned if you do"!:laugh:

Unfortunately I must disagree. If you are only running basic stuff in the psych lab go w/ science research (it will help you in med school and also look better when applying). However you probably would enjoy the psych research more, so you are "damned if you do... and damnned if you do"!:laugh:

Yeah...thats where I'm torn. I'm a pretty "sciency" guy, and my major is psychobio which addresses my interest toward psych research but my hardcore sister insists that I do some sort of benchwork before med school...

Yeah...thats where I'm torn. I'm a pretty "sciency" guy, and my major is psychobio which addresses my interest toward psych research but my hardcore sister insists that I do some sort of benchwork before med school...

I don't understand this line of thinking. How are they saying bench work is going to "better"? It makes no sense. There are skills to be gleaned from both it's all in how you present it.

I would still advocate doing what makes you happy. Believe me, you're PI will appreciate it and so will you. If you are enjoying your work then independent research is more probable, thus you getting more and more involved in projects is going to be a much greater possibility. Go with your gut.

I don't understand this line of thinking. How are they saying bench work is going to "better"? It makes no sense. There are skills to be gleaned from both it's all in how you present it.

I would still advocate doing what makes you happy. Believe me, you're PI will appreciate it and so will you. If you are enjoying your work then independent research is more probable, thus you getting more and more involved in projects is going to be a much greater possibility. Go with your gut.

:thumbup:. As great as your sister is, I don't think she should be taken as the sole authority on the matter. Your passing up an opportunity to do research in a lab that seems to interest you for one that you haven't even gotten yet. Taking the pysch position, come application time, you would have an application with experiences consistent with your passions. It is rare for any undergrad to get into a lab they really like. Most of the time getting a lab position is the result of spamming every professor in the department and hoping that their research will eventually interest you. From how you describe it, it already sounds like bench work would bore you, and that you would be doing it just because you feel that it would give you an edge over pysch research. That doesn't make much sense to me either. But then again, I have no authority on the matter.

I did Pysch research in undergrad it was fun stuff.