Psych wanting to switch to Rad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panama Red

Supa Dupa Fly Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psychiatry resident and distressed to admit that I STRONGLY dislike seeing psych patients. Mostly, I find myself emotionally drained after a shift. I've enjoy the theory of psych but I do not like the clinical management. I'm an introvert and a very concrete person (I liked facts, not theory to support diagnosis and treatment). I also like a quiet work space and ability to make definitive, precise diagnosis. Of note, I've also realized that I like more to diagnose medical conditions than necessarily treat them.
Psych is too much of a revolving door, too ambiguous, and I'm not feeling happy anymore with my choice. Ultimately, I respect psych but I'm realizing it is not for me.
I am now strongly considering specialties with more autonomy, more precision, diagnosis-focused specialties with little or no clinical patient management, like rads or path.
Nevertheless, one great fear I have are the demands of rads residency vs path. I am all about quality of life. I've seen some disturbing threads about radiology residents being extremely unhappy with the demands of residency. Also, I would like to know what skills are important to being successful in radiology and what to expect during residency and afterwards. All in all, I want to know that it would be a good fit for me.

Members don't see this ad.